oil pan options

TDI-MT

TDI
2003 TDI wagon; 148,000
Did the dreaded oil pan puncture on a dirt road yesterday (with skid plate in garage not yet installed!). I have a great pic I should post.

So now time replace: $417 from good mechanic ($176 parts) and $510 from dealer ($256 parts).

But based on those prices I may do it myself.
Some On-line prices for oil pan:

Autoparts Warehouse: 1. Aluminum $49 (1 year warranty); 2. Aluminum $65 (5 yr warranty); 3. Dorman Brand Aluminum for $141
Impex. 1. $95 Aluminum without oil sensor hole; 2. $220 Aluminum wit oil lever port; 3. Alum with steel(?) bottom plate for $175.

Question. Any reason NOT to go with Autoparts unit? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

Last edited:

TDI-MT

TDI
2003 TDI wagon; 148,000
If I did not already have the skid plate I would definitely go with the steel - I have found references to these on other posts. But really just wondering if the $49 unit is of decent quality....

Also does anyone know if I need a "oil sensor hole" for the 2003?

DiaRic

TDI
2001 Golf 2001 Jetta
look underneath to be sure. 2 2001's and a 2003 here and none had the sensor, but i bought a pan in error that had one :(

TDI-MT

TDI
2003 TDI wagon; 148,000
Ordered the metalman oil pan today. It has already shipped. Thanks for the info Yuri

-todd

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
As for the all steal one. I have read into that in the past. The oil pan is kind of like a engine girtel and provids some structural support to the engine block. The all steel doesn't provid that support. Oilhammer mensioned something about this. The steel bottom ones are fine but the oil drain hole kind of sucks. The irony of having the metal belly pan and not having it installed only to need a plate. Take note others that don't think you need a metal belly pan. One hit to the oil pan and it would have paid for the plate.

jettagal2000

TDI
2000 tdi jetta
oil pan

I did the same thing on my jetta 2000 ran over a bottlejack on I-10 that had fallen out of the back of a pick-up. Took off the pan and had it welded up for 25.00 bucks. Works fine....

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
As for the all steal one. I have read into that in the past. The oil pan is kind of like a engine girtel and provids some structural support to the engine block. The all steel doesn't provid that support. Oilhammer mensioned something about this. The steel bottom ones are fine but the oil drain hole kind of sucks. The irony of having the metal belly pan and not having it installed only to need a plate. Take note others that don't think you need a metal belly pan. One hit to the oil pan and it would have paid for the plate.
Then there is this unlucky stiff:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=335702