Trany Being Weird as is the MFD Related Display

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon GL,2005,Silver
Trany Being Weird as is the MFD Related Display (Resolved)

This just happened today, 120k on the Wagon and all as normal as you could hope for (early issues aside)
After testing it also has an CEL (that might be due to the odd behavior causing a conflict or .........)
Weird high reveing when put into Auto. If you manually put it into the 2 position, then shift to 3, the MFD goes red bar across (numbers and letter still show through) and shows 4.
It mostly won't shift to the trigger shift (have to look up what they call it). Does nothing if you put it over into the gate and activate.
I have some guesses but if anyone has had this occur?
I don't plan on doing the work myself, not in a position nor the

Last edited:

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
I did Electronic Deprivation Therapy. That cleared it for a bit.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Resolved

Just to let the group know, diagnosis is its a shifter switch gone bad.

Matches up with the way it was acting.

RI_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 B5.5v, '89 DOKA Syncro
Has the switch been replaced and if so did it resolve the issue?

Karma being what it is, I had a sneaking suspicion that transmission problems might be in my future - then I read this post yesterday and sure as hell the same symptoms as yours show up.

Best of luck to you.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
It was wiring corrosion under the carpet to the shifter

They had the issue ID right, but underlying cause wrong. They fixed the wiring, waived the switch and cleaned out the area drains up in the battery area (new to me but they plug up) - They were solidly plugged. Not sure if its a Norther issue or ?

They had mentioned that before, no real harm as all would be needed but I told them, let me know any stuff like this and happy to pay for it.

They folded back the carpet and dried it out as well (kept it in their shop for a week).

All stuff I am not setup to do (no garage)

Delighted with their work.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Smokerr, since you park outside, like I do, that area below the battery tray and brake booster is very prone to clog up with leaves, pine needles etc which will turn to mud and block the drain, leading to water intrusion and all kinds of problems. Keep an eye on that area. Glad its all good now.

Guess we don't get to see arafalla posting one of his "crushing a VW" pics. I'm bummed...

Last edited:

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
Well the final fix was to replace the wiring harness in the car. Too many corroded joints. Coin flip on worth it or not but its only 120k and I have yet to see a vehicle I would replace it with. Its a wagon and it works extremely well for us.

I don't get the visual but they said it was not the battery tray. I will pursue when we are Covd free or vaccinated as not worth the face to face aspects.

I had the manual on my computer but can't find it.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The whole area under the cowl shield needs to be cleaned and the drains checked periodically. If this is done, you wouldn't have all the interior moisture problems so common with these cars.

Smokerr

Veteran Member
TDI
I am gathering that, painfully. The repair shop mentioned it but did not recommend it get done.;

I am not sure I am getting it, pictures would be appreciated.

Figured I would throw myself in as a sacrifice here - fess up njo matter how embarrassing and do some good for the group

Is there a sticky or a how to video? They seem to talk about other plugs and locations, also, just pull the rubber cow teat thingies? I have seen those other places in vehicle more ovisou and all they do is plug up easier.