Intermittent no start, no crank, no dash lights.

tbailey4

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 6spd conversion. 2001 Jetta, Alh, wife's car.
2006 Jetta, TDI, 5 spd. This situation has occurred twice in as many days. Both times fired right up in the morn but failed to restart at my first errand of the day. FOB unlocked door, odo/message center lites up, turn key and no power to the dash, gauges, warning lights etc. Relocked doors and unlocked doors then reattempted. Even manually re-locked and unlocked doors. Then for no reason, after 5 mins or so it started and continues to work fine. Pressure is on, we need to travel to Wisconsin over thanksgiving. Thanks for listening.

tbailey4

Veteran Member
TDI
Should be noted that with key on I have power to radio, heater motor etc, but nothing comes on in the cluster. No warning lights no gauges.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Remove your airbox and clean/tighten the rather large chassis ground located there. It has a big and a large wire bolted to the chassis with an acorn nut. In fact, check/tighten/clean all of your grounds. Report back with your findings.

Last edited:

tbailey4

Veteran Member
TDI
I just removed air box and cleaned all grounds under 4 acorn nuts. I still have no power to the instrument cluster. I should point out that the problem is no longer an intermittent as the condition still exist. Unfortunately I do not have access to my Bently manuals due to a software issues. Does anyone know if there is a relay or fuse for the cluster?

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
As cheap as they are, I would be inclined to go to the dealer just to get it quicker.

Good to know about the power suply relay. My next step would have been to look at the power side of things.

Last edited:

tbailey4

Veteran Member
TDI
I got the relay from local dealer for $14.00, my relay was labeled as 460, fortunately there were two on the relay board so I swapped them for test purposes. FWIW, The main power relay was on the extreme left lower corner of the relay board, which is most difficult to remove and see. Both relays should click when you turn the key to the on position so feeling for the click may help for the next troubleshooter. Thanks for all the help everyone.