Ran out of fuel, now no start - HELP!

bitterberry

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta (5-speed)
Last Friday I was driving home from work on pretty low fuel. I know... bad TDi owner! But the light wasn't on yet so I figured I was ok. About 7 miles from home, the light came on. I was running late, so I just went home deciding to get fuel in the morning.

Well, I got in the car the next morning to get fuel and it wouldn't start! It just turns over and over and over...

I went to the gas station and filled up the fuel jug a few gallons and transported it to my Jetta. Then I put some more fuel through the "T" in the filter and let it flow in there for a while. Still... nothing.

When cranking, I do see a very large air bubble.

The glow plug light comes on when starting so I don't think it's a relay 109 issue (which was replaced last year anyway).

Any thoughts on how to get my baby started again? I know how to change a fuel filter but am not comfortable doing it alone. I've only watched it being done. I'm not sure if I have all the tools to do it. Help?

DieselFumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
You could try using a MityVac or an oil extractor (such as a Pela) to suck the diesel fuel from the return line from the injectors to the fuel filter until there are fewer bubbles. If this doesn't work, then you'll probably have to purge the air by loosening the connection to the injectors. I'm not sure what the procedure for doing that is but I'll look and if I find it I'll post another message.

maxforce

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf, 04 Jetta, 84 300SD
Fill the fuel filter, crack injector lines and bleed the air off. Cover the injector with a rag to keep from spraying all over the engine. If you are no wrench handy or tend to break stuff when you work on it you may want help from someone with more experiance. Simple problem to fix but you CAN make it worse.

bitterberry

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta (5-speed)
Well, despite considerable encouragement the injector lines were not interested in cracking loose so I opted for trying the previous approach again, just more so.

I topped off the filter and pulled off and filled the feed hose, getting rid of every last bubble. Then connected an extra jump-starter battery to the regular one to keep from running out of juice and cranked until the cows came home. (ok, maybe a minute+ it just seemed like forever) Eventually it sprang back to life

All's well. Thanks for the help.

ericy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI (wife's car)
Well, I hope that solves the problem, but I go 100 miles after the light comes on, so hard to believe you ran out after 7.
Yeah, I have gone 70 after the light, and haven't run out.

Then again, it is possible that your fuel gauge needs to be recalibrated.