new tint on Graphite Blue Golf

lonniebear

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 6M 4dr.
Went with 30% on the front and 15% on the rest. I passed on the eyebrow tint for now. Has anyone got that? seems like the the little dotted pattern above the rear view mirror wouldn't tint well. they also tried to sell me on the clear bra. $600! um no thank you.

cwescapexlt4x4

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (previous 2011 JSW TDI)
Looks good, and yes we have the brow and it does do alright with the dots. Key is not to screw with it and the dots once dried as they it may look un-even. I really do like having it across the top.

lonniebear

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 6M 4dr.
this is the first car i've had that didn't have tint built into the windshield. i'll have to drive it a bit longer to see if i think i need it. Looks great on you car.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
If you travel, be aware that you tinting may be illegal.

http://www.tintlaws.com/

Actually, you're supposed to have no more than 25% so you're already illegal with 15%. Some states, like Pennsylvania, want no more than 70%.

2003 law:

tintlaws said:
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN TEXAS?
Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Texas, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

• Windshield. Non-reflective tint is allowed along the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
• Front Side Windows. Must allow more than 25% of light in.
• Back Side Windows. Must allow more than 25% of light in.
• Rear Window. Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN TEXAS?
Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

• Front Side Windows. Must not be more than 25% reflective.
• Back Side Windows. Must not be more than 25% reflective.

OTHER TEXAS RULES AND REGULATIONS

• Restricted Colors. The tint color(s) of RED are not legal by state law.
• Side Mirrors. Dual side mirrors are required if back window is tinted.
• Certificate Requirements. Manufacturers of film need to certify the film they sell in the state. Ask your dealer if they are using ceritified film.
• Sticker Requirements The sticker to identify legal tinting is required between the film & glass on the driver’s side window.

lonniebear

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 6M 4dr.
actually that law was changed in 2009 to allow any level of tint on the side and rear window as long as the car has side mirrors. makes since considering that vans don't need side or rear windows. could have gone 5% on all those windows but i wanted to be able to see out.

Side Windows to The Rear of The Driver
(Revised September 1, 2009)
These windows are completely exempted from regulation under the Texas Transportation Code. Reference Legislation: Senate Bill 589 (PDF)
Rear Window
A sunscreening device can be applied to the rear window of the vehicle if the following conditions are met.
If a motor vehicle is equipped with an outside mirror on each side of the vehicle that reflects to the vehicle operator a view of the roadway for a distance of at least 200 feet from the rear of the vehicle then there are no restrictions regarding the sunscreening devices applied to the rear window.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/misc/faq/tint.htm

ken_e

TDI
2010 Golf TDI (SOLD)
I have 25% up front and 5% on the back, sides, and eyebrow. The dots tinted pretty well, we used a warm hair dryer and a little pressure shortly after to really fill in the gaps. I've never gotten any police warnings/fix-it-tickets in MO, IL, OH, IN, NY, MI, PA, or Ontario Canada....No worries.

piney

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW-TDI/DSG
The tint looks great, that color looks great as well.

On the tint - the plates on your car make it legal if you are out of state. The commerce clause in the Constitution makes sure that laws from one state are respected across the borders. The tint on Florida cars would be illegal in most states but we don't get stopped when in NJ or others states with draconian tint laws. If I were ever to move to a different state where what I have is not legal, upon registering the vehicle I'd have to fix the tint to conform to that state's laws.

On the black dot stuff, you have two options: Fully tint over it and it will look not so great or have the tint person trim the tint to abut the area. Some tint shops use a flat black to spray on the inside of the window where that junk is. This way your toll transponder will still work but the tint and paint make it look uniform from the outside. You can also have a 70% ceramic done on the whole windshield and then put the tint strip up at the top. It'll block so much heat it is unreal and looks normal from the outside looking in.

I had the tint strip put on my front as I prefer the darker look.

lonniebear

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 6M 4dr.
I wish I could pit ceramic on the front but I don't think Texas allows any level of tint on the windshield. Ceramic has a little tint, right?

romka7

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I just tinted my car few days ago and actually tinted the windshield. They had the Air Blue 80 by llumar, its a ceramic film with a slight bluish tint to it. It does reject something like 43% of solar energy and 99.9% UV. If anything it will make my dash last longer and maybe keep the car cooler few degrees in the Florida summer. But it looks great, can't even tell its there.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
the plates on your car make it legal if you are out of state. The commerce clause in the Constitution makes sure that laws from one state are respected across the borders. The tint on Florida cars would be illegal in most states but we don't get stopped when in NJ or others states with draconian tint laws. If I were ever to move to a different state where what I have is not legal, upon registering the vehicle I'd have to fix the tint to conform to that state's laws.
It's nice to know that things are that simple. Thanks for the clarification. However, a uniform national standard would be even simpler.

I expected something worse because sometimes things don't play nicely between states. For instance, a friend of mine is having a dispute over possession of a vehicle -- gifted to him by his dying relative. The differing procedures between the states is causing trouble, although it probably could be taken care of with some action from relatives in the state the vehicle was gifted in.

And then there's the issue of laws that some states have and others don't (like talking on a cell when driving). I doubt being ignorant of the law will be considered an adequate explanation.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
It's nice to know that things are that simple. Thanks for the clarification. However, a uniform national standard would be even simpler.
Some tint laws are in effect for LEO safety. Not fair to apply that everywhere.

piney

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW-TDI/DSG
It is distinctly hotter here in South Florida than it is in Maine or Idaho. We need good tint here and dark tint does a better job than a lighter tint of comparable quality. I have very high quality tint on all my windows, keeps the glare and heat out. In a country as geographically diverse as ours, having a mandated tint standard would be impossible to enforce.

And then there's the issue of laws that some states have and others don't (like talking on a cell when driving). I doubt being ignorant of the law will be considered an adequate explanation.
The no texting while driving or, if in Virginia, no radar detector signs are on the road when you come into the state. Both are user options that are easy to discontinue. Having a tint on your windows is a different thing entirely.

EJtdeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Graphite 2011 Golf TDI
Your tint looks really sharp. I also have a 2011 Graphite Blue Golf and am looking to tint my windows very soon.

lonniebear

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 6M 4dr.
Your tint looks really sharp. I also have a 2011 Graphite Blue Golf and am looking to tint my windows very soon.
Thanks

Take my advice and get it done at a dealer that laser cuts the the tint. This tint job turned into a nightmare that still hasn't ended bc the tint guys cut the moulding in various places with their razor blades.

EJtdeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks

Take my advice and get it done at a dealer that laser cuts the the tint. This tint job turned into a nightmare that still hasn't ended bc the tint guys cut the moulding in various places with their razor blades.
Thanks for the advice. I was unaware of the laser cut vs the razor blade cutting of the tint. I stopped by a local place that was selling me on the ceramic tint to help keep the car cooler. That is what I'm actually after since my job is located where it's much hotter (especially in the Summer) and I need a way to keep the car cooler as well as look good.

lonniebear

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 6M 4dr.
Thanks for the advice. I was unaware of the laser cut vs the razor blade cutting of the tint. I stopped by a local place that was selling me on the ceramic tint to help keep the car cooler. That is what I'm actually after since my job is located where it's much hotter (especially in the Summer) and I need a way to keep the car cooler as well as look good.
I was unaware too. After the tint place screwed up the dealership told me they laser cut to prevent those sort of accidents. Wish I would have known before. Good luck.

ajkreider

TDI
2011 Golf
Got 33% all the way around and 80 on the entire windshield.

Used the Suntek CXP, which is non-metallic so it won't interfere with electronics.

The 80 on the windshield is technically illegal, but at 80% light transmission, it shouldn't be, and won't be observable anyway. Cuts out 44% of the heat, which is the reason to get it. The CXP 35 (33%), cuts out 53% of the heat.

Total cost, $245. Going the next step down would have reduced the cost to $180, but didn't want to chance the interference.

blondeshady2001

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 BGM DSG TDI 4DR
I am picking up my 2012 in this color, this door configuration on Saturday. I have 20% all around on my current car, and plan on having them same done with this new one (minus the eyebrow). Great to know what the end result is lookin like. BGM FTW!

chris@revotechnik

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
12 JSW, 98 TJ cummins, bunch of gassers
On the tint - the plates on your car make it legal if you are out of state. The commerce clause in the Constitution makes sure that laws from one state are respected across the borders. The tint on Florida cars would be illegal in most states but we don't get stopped when in NJ or others states with draconian tint laws. If I were ever to move to a different state where what I have is not legal, upon registering the vehicle I'd have to fix the tint to conform to that state's laws.
Old post but since this was bumped will chime in.

Unfortunately the above is not true.

Technically by federal law adding a tinted film to any glazing (a window in legal car speak) is illegal. This is however not enforced on that level.

Individual states are simply allowing a level of light penetration and the matter in which it is installed is not what they are setting. They then choose not to follow the federal guidelines in their regulation of those limits and allow for it being an added film.

That being said if you read the actual tint laws in almost every state (almost being key), the regulation in regards to tinting and the allowable light levels states specifically vehicles registered in that state. This is how you can get away with driving in say NJ who has laws that do not allow for any front window tint with a vehicle registered in Florida and legal window tint in that state.

Now you also have states like Georgia. Originally the law here was vehicles registered just as most other states. Sometime around 2005 I believe someone was stopped and ticketed for tint below the legal limit in GA with a vehicle registered in GA. They fought this ticket on the premise that the law was biased against residents of the state and that this was in fact unconstitutional. It escalated and eventually they ruled that in fact GAs tint law was unconstitutional and it was removed. For about a year GA had no tint law. Since they could not easily ticket operates of the vehicles they targeted the installers who were illegally applying a film to a vehicles windows under federal law. I'm not sure if any of that stuck but they tried.

After this year of no specific tint law on the GA books it was added back. However this time the wording was changed from registered to operated. This is a HUGE key change here in the wording and does now mean that if you are driving from Florida with your legal tint in that state that you can and will be fined in GA.

People have tried to fight this law based on exactly what you have said. When I moved here I was under the same impression as well that this was not legal but so far it has held up for the last 5 years.

You can not believe me all you want but just be aware one of our own staff members who was living in NC with his A3 registered in florida still was stopped twice and ticketed twice for illegal tint in GA with Florida plates and registration.

ElectricMayhem

Veteran Member
TDI
None!
Sorry for the newbie questions, but will tinting screw up my cell phone reception? Also, does it actually reduce the interior temperature relative to non-tint when the car is parked in the sun?

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Sorry for the newbie questions, but will tinting screw up my cell phone reception? Also, does it actually reduce the interior temperature relative to non-tint when the car is parked in the sun?
For cell signal, non-metallic tint definitely won't. Metallic tint may. As for heat, it's a significant difference when it's actually hot out.

EJtdeye

Veteran Member
TDI
For cell signal, non-metallic tint definitely won't. Metallic tint may. As for heat, it's a significant difference when it's actually hot out.
I have the Metallic tint on my Golf and have had no issues with my cell phone. There is a spot I believe under the rear view mirror that allows cell phone signals to pass freely.

blondeshady2001

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 BGM DSG TDI 4DR
I have the Metallic tint on my Golf and have had no issues with my cell phone. There is a spot I believe under the rear view mirror that allows cell phone signals to pass freely.
This is true. The are the denser dots over the mirror. However, if you cover these up with the metallic tint, that may create a slight issue. Then again maybe not.