Can someone please explain Nozzle balancing??

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Title says it all. I bought .216's and just stuck them in....? was that the wrong thing to do??
Well, this will probably open a can of wurms ...... but, lets start with where you bought these nozzles from. It they are ebay/chinese then it doesn't matter, they need replaced. If they are from a reputable supplier (and the assumption then is that you disassembled the injectors and installed the nozzles yourself --- I think Kerma has a howto with pictures floating around somewhere on this) then you need to get out your VCDS, login cick engine/adaption/13 to see whether the readings are within +-2 of each other (you will see 3 readings in this block, injector #3 is the baseline measurement and what reads as #3 block is actually #4 block.) If they are within this range they are probably fine.

Slapping nozzles in is a bad idea imho. You are far better off having them poptested, balanced by one of the few vendors out there like Frank or DBW to avoid problems. Can we assume you are having problems and that is why you are asking this question?

Flamesuit on........

blu_jet_92

Veteran Member
TDI
all of them
i bought them from a site that has been mentioned on here to have reputable nozzles (cant remember where at the moment). i am not having any issues, but often see people discussing balancing in other threads and i am just wandering if it is something i should have done. and yes, i installed everything myself....with Kerma's directions. i dont even know what a VCDS is....?
but the real question is, what exactly IS balancing??

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
I'm sure someone else will chime in, but as I understand it, nozzle balancing involves setting the nozzles so they all "pop" at close to the same pressure , AND that they all flow about the same amount of fuel per "pop".

Dan