For Sale: '82 Mercedes 300D *SOLD*

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
For Sale: \'82 Mercedes 300D *SOLD*

1982 Mercedes 300D turbodiesel.

The 5 cylinder 3.0 liter engine was completely rebuilt a few thousand miles ago. We had the engine opened up to replace a cracked valve guide and decided to do a total rebuild.

The auto trans was replaced with a FACTORY NEW transmission, also a few thousand miles ago.

The automatic climate control/air conditioning is working perfectly. Just replaced the A/C compressor with a good take-off from another car and charged the system up. We converted it to R134a, and it blows COLD!

Pretty much the whole front end (suspension, steering, etc...) has been replaced, and it drives like a dream.

The interior is in great shape. The wood looks nice and you won't believe the MB Tex interior is 22 years old. The previous owner (my cousin) covered the front seats in sheepskins, so they were protected from sun and wear for many years. The sheepskins are still in there... but the seats look great underneath.

Everything works. This is not your average 22 year old Mercedes. The body looks very good. There are a few small rust spots, but nothing structural or unsightly. I'll have pictures as soon as I get a chance to clean the car up.

This car is in exceptional condition because it was maintained by my father -- a diesel Mercedes mechanic and guru. No expense was spared... no corners cut. You will have a hard time finding someone who knows more about these cars than my father. The car has been in our family for many years, and is only being replaced because my cousin bought a newer diesel Mercedes.

I would really like to keep this car... but cannot afford to add a third car to my insurance

Contact me by private message or by posting to this thread if you'd like to see it and take a test drive.

$5,000

DaveH9

For Sale: \'82 Mercedes 300D turbodiesel

What color is it? (the wife asked) how many miles on the body? Do the windows and locks work? How many miles is a few thousand? Sounds good, will it clean up nice? Any leaks?

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI

What color is it?
Yellow/beige... can't remember what the official MB color name is. Yes, it cleans up really nice. It's been sitting under trees for three months... so it looks dirty right now. I've got a really busy week, but I'll try to get it cleaned up and post some pics.

how many miles on the body?
I gotta check on that. I have owned/worked on too many of these to remember that kind of stuff. If you know much about these cars you'll know that mileage doesn't matter. I sold my last 300D at 410k miles and it's got 460k+ now. The new owner just drove it across the country. I've seen 300D's with 150k miles that were complete worn out junk. I'll post this info tomorrow, hopefully.

Do the windows and locks work?
Again, everything works. This was maintained by a Mercedes guru. Name a door lock and he can tell you what color the vacuum hose going to it is.

How many miles is a few thousand?
Geez... Hopefully my cousing remembers. It was not long before he bought the replacement car. I'd hate to even guess since it was not my car. Again... I'll get back to you on that. The engine rebuild and the trans were done at different times, but not far apart.

The engine, like I said, was rebuilt after it was opened up to replace the cracked valve guide (caused a lot of smoke at idle). It was my cousin's call... he just decided to do a rebuild... even though it was running fine.

The trans was a factory new unit that had been installed in his brother's (my other cousin) 300D. Right after the new trans was installed, that cousin found a 300TD wagon and decided to sell the 300D, so they did a trans swap. The factory new trans went from the 300D that was being sold to the one that was staying in the family... is that confusing, or what? Again... there wasn't really anything wrong with the original trans... but if you had the opportunity to put a new trans in your car for no extra $$$ wouldn't you?

Any leaks?
When I say everything works, I mean the seals, too. It's been sitting for 3 months and I didn't find any moisture.

It's hard to explain how well maintained this car is. My father is meticulous about maintaining his customers' cars... and this one was family. Nothing jury-rigged. He knows when to use aftermarket parts and when to use factory parts. He knows exactly what he's doing. This car is nice. Again... I am not BSing you here... I would keep this car in a heartbeat if I didn't have to pay the insurance. If it were a wagon, I would find a way to pay the insurance!

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I will be taking pictures of the car today. More about the car:

* The engine rebuild and the factory trans were done in the last 20k miles.

* The brake master cylinder was just replaced.

* The front brakes were just replaced and the calipers rebuilt.

* The power antenna was just replaced.

EDIT: When I say "just" I mean within the last week.

mikeyworks

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Green, 2000 Jetta GLS TDI Blue

Jesse,

You're making me drool!!!!! I would love to have this thing, but $5000 is a bit higher than I would like. I still have my truck that I need to sell.

Mikey

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI

mikey, it's making me drool, too... wish I could keep it for myself. One of my father's customers is probably going to buy it. He's got a gas Mercedes that's going south... bad cam advance, and bad compression
. He offered my father $4,000 plus his car. My father is excited about ripping that S-class car apart for spare parts!

I was really hoping someone on TDI Club would buy it... because it's really a nice car... and I'd like to be able to keep tabs on it! It'd be a great car for biodiesel or WVO conversion, too.

stayalert

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf black

Looks like a beauty! Looks like it has a 2"x2" reciever hitch do you know what it towed and how frequently?
Rob M Concord, MA USA

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Yes, my cousin had a custom 2" receiver installed. He used it to launch his fishing boat. He lived in Florida at the time... I guess he towed the boat twice a year.

These cars are great for towing. I had a custom class III citch installed on my 1983 300D. I used it to tow everything from a pop-up camper to other cars on tow dollies. I think the heaviest cars I towed were 300SD's. I believe they are about 4,000 lb plus the tow dolly, which is about 500 lb. My 300D towed that without a problem. I also towed a 21' sailboat and various U-Haul trailers. My father used his 300D (also a 1983 model) to tow a car from Georgia to Maryland. He got 19 MPG! Not bad, considering the car got about 26 MPG in regular driving.