How I repaired my alternator harness

Eudaemonic

TDI
'02 Black TDI Golf
I have recently noticed that the 4 pin connector of the my alternator harness (the one next to the battery box) had its 2 middle wires broken flush with the connector. This is a known problem where VW cheaped out and made the cable 1/2" too short, making it vulnerable to vibrations and such, causing failure. My choices were:
1. buy a new one ($72)
2. try to fix it by breaking some of the connector's plastic to get some meat to solder the wire extension
3. get a new connector ($6). I never saw an image of a brand new connector so I didn't know if it came with some length of wire, or if I needed the pins and tools

Last night I decided to change my glow plug harness the "hard way" i.e. removing everything to gain access to the connector in the cowl. Great opportunity to deal with the alternator harness. Turns out that the connector for the glow plug harness is the same as the one on the alternator harness.

Long story short. Cut 5" off the old glow plug harness, match the wires and replace the broken connector on the alternator harness, Nice clean soldering with tight heatshrink :). Extra length should help reduce stress :):). Hopefully I'll get my A/C back too!

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Sweet! It is nice when it works out that way. That is the ultimate in recycling.

--Nate

Eudaemonic

TDI
'02 Black TDI Golf
Yeah, I guess I got lucky by having both in my hands. Makes yesterday's evening better overall. My original and main issue was an alternator pulley failure. Barely made it to my garage!

If you replace your glow plug harness, keep it as the connector is found in at least one place