Passenger Window Kaput! semi-rant (okay, rant)

TimboTA

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Well, I figured this would happen eventually, and it did. Hoped it wouldn't, but that's not my luck. Not even 15k miles on my "improved" 2003 and the passenger window motor makes a loud pop, and whirrs incessantly, only, window no worky. Stays in same place. I have to remember not to touch the button again, or I'm sure the window will fall into the door. Yippeee! With a wind chill of negative 25, I don't need that.

Now I get to call my stealership and wait in line for two months before they can take me in to fix this pos. The last problems I had (and still have), it took two days for them to say "They all do that" and walk away (parking brake out of alignment/shriek after parked, crappy Monsoon sound, which I intend on someday fixing myself)...it took me a month to get in there for that. I can't even imagine now.

Grumble. /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

TimboTA

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Can't do lemon law - this is the first occurence of this specific problem. As it stands, the wait is until next Monday ("Unless the window falls into the door...then bring it in right away and we'll see what we can do.") Here's hoping the window stays up until then.

The next closest dealer is 35 miles in the wrong direction.

And really...I don't know if I'm as upset at the dealer as I am with VW for their lack of engineering/lack of attention to detail. I mean, what's holding this window up, plastic clips??? This has been a problem since at least the 99.5 model year, and they continue to think the problem will just go away? I know I'm not the first and definitely won't be the last.

I'll get over it once it's fixed, anyway. I thought it was just another rattle/buzz at first...I blame those on the cold, though. Hopefully they don't put the same junk parts in for replacement. Grumble...

Cincy_Mike

Veteran Member
TDI
Auto 2003 Jetta GLS TDI - Galactic Blue
Use the sunroof when getting food from the drive-thru restaurant. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

15k miles and window breaks. Pretty amazing.. I've heard some say they don't let the window reach the very bottom in an effort to minimize wear. Hrrmm one of the quirks of these TDI. There are a few.. heh

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Mine fell on it's own (I think). [or was I raising it? Can't remember.] Sounded like a rock hit the window. Dealer fixed in about 3 hours. No charge. There is an extended warranty on the windows.

TimboTA

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Well, apparently my car is like Wolverine...self-healing. After being out of service for a day (again - I've replaced transmissions quicker), there is "nothing wrong with your car". Of course, that week without a window didn't happen, I'm seeing things, etc. Even though the motor ran to its bottom position several times and the window didn't move. How is that possible? Must be angry German spirits! So, I drove my mother's Avalon. Not a squeak or a rattle after five years...my dash and console creaks and buzzes after 10 months.

FWIW, the service manager did say that if the regulator was found to be faulty, they would replace both of the front ones (which tells me...they're used to this, could probably do it in their sleep).

Maybe I should duct tape the whole car! Is that what comes in the first aid kit? Now I have another piece of paperwork about my "non-problems". I'll find out tomorrow morning if indeed nothing is wrong (I suspect the window is now off track and is going to rattle forever). I get to go out on the cusp of this stupid storm.

Like I said before, I'll get over it (depending)...and it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't -20F windchill for so long!