Holding on to your tdi

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
I'm holding onto mine, a 2009 Jetta.. I purchased it brand new.
I love this vehicle and I do quite a bit of driving and I love the fuel mileage. This car works for me. Its my first VW and very first diesel.... I would definitely buy another one.

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
As far as the driving dynamics, fuel economy, the enormous low end torque and longevity are considered, there are not many cars in the market with the similar price range that can compare to our TDI's.

So it's easy choice for me, I am keeping my TDI.

Miser_TDI

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS (Galactic Blue, Leather, cold wx) JUST PURCHASED: 2012 Jetta TDI, blue, DSG. Nice car. :)
Me too

I am holding on to my 2012 also.

Waiting for the fix, then will proceed to get it "unfixed", and drive on .... :)

DuramaxTDI

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Keeping my 2012. I still don't see a good reason to get rid of a perfectly good car. Plus what would I replace it with?
Funny how when the Volt came out, and they couldn't give them away, the Prius suddenly had accelerator problems. Now Chevy is building the Cruz diesel and all of a sudden their direct competitor is having emission problems. Remember there are no coincidences.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Keep my 2010 Jetta.I love everything about the car.

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
I am holding on to my 2012 also.

Waiting for the fix, then will proceed to get it "unfixed", and drive on .... :)
Same with me. If there turns out to be no fix.....probably turn it in for a buyback at the latest possible date. Should be around 200k on it by then, so I'd feel I got some pretty decent use out of it for the price considering the low depreciation on them during this time period.

Then who knows? Maybe by that time there will be something suitable to replace it, though I doubt it.

joe schmoe

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Manual Trans
As far as the driving dynamics, fuel economy, the enormous low end torque and longevity are considered, there are not many cars in the market with the similar price range that can compare to our TDI's.

So it's easy choice for me, I am keeping my TDI.
Yep, this is why I'm keeping mine...Can't find a car for the price point that gets 50 MPG....Mines a 2012 Jetta...Keeping it!!

Last edited:

jcart

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDi Malone Stage 2, Rawtek.
The notion for the moment is to hold onto ours. With the Phase 1 done, I'm not overly pleased with fuel economy trend (poorer), not hand calculated mind you. Based on computer its lower by 1/2 litre per 100 Kms or 5 Miles per imperial gallon. This and performance loss is noticeable in 5 & 6. Off idle torque is way better for clutch engagement though. Too early to tell for AdBlue. Nice to see the '15s and newer can be sold now. Thing is what to replace it with.... Tesla followed me yesterday interesting to see a few on the road, price points though mmmm gonna have to wait for the Model 3 which is a ways off. Maybe another '96-'97 7.3 powerstroke :D so love our clatter vehicles.

j

vtbigdog

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG
On one hand I really enjoy my TDI, but with 100,000 miles on the odometer I am concerned with the potential for maintenance costs that will be looming in the next 12 months or so...tires, timing belt, etc. On top of that, the potential for some costly repairs also looms. HFPF, O2 sensors, etc.

My buyback from VW is about $19K. My car will never be worth anything close to this at any other time if I keep it. Even factoring the $5,110+- if I keep it, my plan is to perform the buyback this fall and purchase a new car, model unknown at this time. The alternate plan would be to purchase a new car sometime in 2018.

I've really enjoyed this forum and have learned a lot. While we all sometimes soapbox, please keep in mind we have all grown by the knowledge that was shared by all on this site. I wish everyone continued health and happiness.

Beanie

TDI
2012 jetta
Keeping my 2012 as well. I drive 53 miles one way to work and it's almost paid for. Plan is to fix the fix; then use this as a work car. Maybe buy a GTI to drive around town and give the TDI to my son to drive in a few years.

16vjohn

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
EA288 CVCA 6MT
I'm hanging on to the 2015... I just hit 20k and changed the fuel filter. I'll be interested to hear the results from phase 2 of "the fix". Also, interestingly enough, KBB has the value at around 19k again. As we've all long predicted, the buyback set a floor on the price. I paid 20k for the car, I will get ~6,500 for it in restitution and an 11 year warranty on problem parts. I feel like I made off like a villain. Very happy I sent the Passat on its way and kept the Jetta. I still worry about a total loss accident, only because it will be hard to find another.

garronmiller

TDI
2014 Jetta TDIs
I have a 2014 TDI, got a smoking deal when it was brand new 17,000 and then went back the next day and got another one white and one red one. One has 30,000 miles the other 45,000. I really enjoy the cars for the MPG is why im holding on to them. Until im almost forced to get to let them buy them back

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta s\DSG 2015 & 1&2 FIX
Avg mpg 44.7

I'll keep my if the new emission control software update works for mpg

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
Was going to hold on to my 2011 Jetta but wandered into the local dealer (Boise, ID) last Monday and ended up with a 2015 Jetta TDI. I got into the new (113 miles) one for what I get from the buyback for my 2011 (includes using $974 from Geico for a kid rear ending the 2011 last month). A straight across swap except for the inevitable taxes and fees.
My original intent when buying the 2011 was to drive it until totally worn out and that is still my intent. It's like I reset the clock to zero; erased 94,000 miles and gained 4 years.
Now I have the last year TDI made and I intend to keep it. Wife and I loved the 2011 and the 2015 is the same (except no built-in roof leak, no GPS-use our phones, no KESSY) but don't care about these gimmicks). A fix for the 2011 is doubtful and way down the road. If some pothead texter were to hit us and total it, insurance would not pay what VW has.

planetb

TDI
2010 Jetta TDIcup
I sold back my 2010 TDI Cup car. Was having transmission issues (the trans would try to lock up it felt like at a stop light and stall), she only had 48k miles, Took it to a couple different dealers and they tried tweaking some shift point settings, etc, but the money they offered for a 7 year old car, I could not pass it up.

Now I did stay in the family. Last weekend I reinvested my money and bought a 2015 Red TDI Jetta (new) for $18k out the door. The dealer royally screwed and sold me the car before the emission fix was done on it. They told me everything was done already and I could come and pick up the car Sunday. when I got to the dealer on Sunday, the sale guy told me the service manager for some reason had the keys in the service departments lockbox.. Sales guy told me he was going to deliver it on Monday morning by 10am. By 10:30am on Monday, the sale guy was calling me telling me service had a couple things to finish up with the car and would get the car to me by the end of the day. the car came with steel wheels and was missing a hub cap, figured they were cleaning it also. By 3:30pm, the sale guy called to tell me they had to order parts and it was going to be 3 - 4 days before the parts would arrive! Now I am not able to get ahold of the sales guy (2 emails and 2 phone calls).. I will be calling the general manager tomorrow and making the long drive over there if I get no were..

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
I've owned a lot of cars and good ones are hard to find so keeping my 2012 wagon a while longer is not a burden of any kind. I looked and can not find a replacement for this car and I may just get a lemon even when it's new some cars are just lemons. I planned on keeping it for 10 years or longer when I bought it I still have my 2006 Golf and it has never let me down so let's wait and see.

SOCALFIRE03

TDI
2012 Jetta Premium TDI
Thanks for all the responses!

Thank you for all your responses. With all this talk about turning in cars i was beginning to think i was alone in choosing to keep it for the time being.

NeoZipTDI

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6MT Candy White
Keeping my 2011

I plan on keeping my 2011. It is just so reliable and still fun to drive. The fuel mileage is great.

I have about 118k miles on it. I replaced the intake manifold a couple of months ago. I run snow tires on it during the winter.

I bought the car because I intended to keep and drive it at least 10 years and the car was reported to last and perform well for a long period of ownership. The car has exceeded my expectations.

arneeche

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (former), 2012 Jetta TDI (Former), 2014 JSW TDI
I scheduled my buyback for june 3rd. I was going to keep it until I looked at the values on it vs what I owe. I decided to sell it and get a subaru AWD car. I have a set of the laser measured floor liners for a 2012 posted in the sale pages.

Buyback happened on saturday. Went smooth with no issues. Hopefully the payment process will be the same.

payment occurred overnight!

Last edited:

Rodmiser

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta s\DSG 2015 & 1&2 FIX
MPG is still 57 hwy. And The Extended Emissions Warranty that is included with Gen 3 vehicles will run for as long as 11 years or 162,000 miles and cover the entire exhaust system, fuel system, turbocharger, and various other components, including most engine issues. I will KEEP IT !