TDI engine into a Hyundai Santa Fe?

natescape

Veteran Member
TDI
None at the moment. *sniff*
OK, this is probably an incredibly stupid question. My wife drives a 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe (FWD, 4-cylinder). I'd love to get her into a diesel but can't afford to get out of the Hyundai.

SO, is it even possible to get a TDI engine into a Santa Fe? Probably not, but I figured I'd ask.

Brioscooter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 and 2005 Golf TDIs
Hey, ANYTHING is possible if enough time, money, and brains are thrown at it.
You would have to mate the TDI engine to the clutch and transmission of the Hyundai. That could be done with a few custom-made parts (bell housing, splined connecting shaft, engine mounts) from your friendly local machine shop or race car fabricators. Might cost a LOT of money, though.
You would also need the fuel pump and filter from the TDI. THe Hyundai tank should be fine for diesel, although it would have to be cleaned and the fuel hoses would need to be replaced.
You would have to measure the suspension and steering gear to see if they would work around the TDI engine.
The TDI engine should weigh about the same as the larger 4 cyl. Hyundai gasoline engine, or less than a 6 cyl.

Bob Norris

Veteran Member
It can probably be done somewhere, but the specialized work needed for the retrofit of the TDI into the Santa Fe would take weeks to months and probably end up pushing (or exceeding) 5 figures by the time it's done. I don't know what yours has been like for MPG, but the Santa Fes by and large aren't bad for fuel economy for a crossover SUV. You'd spend far more on the conversion than you'd ever recoup through increase in fuel economy. I understand why you want a diesel SUV though, I'm following the news about the upcoming diesel Jeep Liberty pretty closely myself- would like to have 1 vehicle to do it all. (edited for typo)

[ January 22, 2003, 07:16: Message edited by: Bob Norris ]

natescape

Veteran Member
TDI
None at the moment. *sniff*
Hmmm. Maybe this isn't possible. I was hoping I could possibly throw $4k - $5k at it and shoehorn it in.

The Hyundai averages 22-23 MPG for my wife, and near 30 on long highway trips. I was mainly looking at being able to run biodiesel in it. Yes, I'm a bit addicted.

I'd probably be better off spending the money on solar panels, converting the house heat to run on oil (biodiesel) instead of gas, etc.

AutoDiesel

Veteran Member
If you live anywhere that does emission testing you'll never be able to drive it on the road again. You can put in a newer type of engine that meets newer emission regs but it has to be the same type of engine, ie gas or diesel.
Since Hyundai never had a diesel and the vehicle was certified as a gas vehicle it can't be done legally per EPA regs.
But.........
If you live where they don't do emission testing and vehicle inspections, who cares!!
You would be better off converting to propane. It would be cheaper than an engine change, would be 104 octane+, would be a North American product and not imported.
I've also heard of people going 50k oil changes easy with propane using synthetic oil. Very clean.