Does the 2009 TDI have a full spare?

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
Just curious. I had a flat yesterday in my 2006 and thanked VW for providing a full spare tire. It says a lot about a company's priorities.

(I searched, but didn't find this question answered.)

Jibeho

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
The spare is a Bridgstone 195.65.15 so I would assume that is can't be used for a 1000 mile trip like I did with my 2000 NB :D

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Tire size

Jibeho said:
The spare is a Bridgstone 195.65.15 so I would assume that is can't be used for a 1000 mile trip like I did with my 2000 NB :D
That tire is not a doughnut and can be used without any restriction to speed or mileage.:D I agree 100% with weedeater!!

Jibeho

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
Ever drive with different sized tires on your car? Heck I have on my NB once, I danced over the road better then the folks on dancing with the stars. What about on the front where the drive train will take a hit also.

2004STARWARSTDI said:
That tire is not a doughnut and can be used without any restriction to speed or mileage.:D I agree 100% with weedeater!!

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Traction control will not be happy , ABS will not be happy . These are the main reason there is a restriction .

So the answer is no it's not a donut ,

But yes there are restrictions on speed & distance due to differences in size compared to what else is on the car because of the issues this would cause with the ABS & Traction controls .

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
By the way you can replace the shorter height factory spare with a taller tire . So if you do replace the factory spare tire on the spare to match fitted tires on the car diameter wise it could be used as a real spare with no restrictions . The diameter difference is what restricts use , cause computer problems related ABS & Traction control . It's not wheel size or tire width that causes problems but tire height that must match tires on the rest of the car .

By the way on older A4s I've fitted them with taller tires , on all 5 wheels to improve fuel economy .

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
flipside said:
a 205/55R16 has almost the same diameter of a 195/65R15 within 0.2 of an inch. Both are OEM size for MK5. Actually the spare is taller.
Yeah I was gonna say I bet the OD is the same. :) In that case, it would be perfectly fine.

Blue91

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
Figures. More decontent. My 06 spare tire was exact same size as the tires on the biolines.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Blue91 said:
Figures. More decontent. My 06 spare tire was exact same size as the tires on the biolines.
I had gathered the trunk area was a little different and figured it was more due to exhaust accommodation to have gone to the thinner tire. It's not a doughnut so you could drive on it a long time. I would consider it to be a "full size" spare--just not the same size as the rest.

98fxd

TDI
09 JSW
In my JSW, spare is same size as running tires(205/55R16), just on a steel rim instead of the 16' ditto's.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
For those that have the smaller spare, is there room in the spare well to fit the flat tire?

DZL_Damon

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Loyal Edition
Mine has the 195/65/15 tire. It does say not to run it over 50mph on some tag on there, but the tire looks to be that of a normal car tire, not some single or double ply junk. I want to say it's a bridgestone.

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
the whole point of having a different size spare is so u go and get the blown tire fixed or replaced so you actually have something to use when something else happens, If you unlucky u get a another flat the next day

newWorldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6SPD
hmm, mine is on a steel wheel and definitely a different sized tire. but full size none the less, and probably same/near OD.

JSW with the avingnon (sp?) 17's.