What have you fit in your car?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Nice! I've just got the interior stripped out, more room and weight capacity that way
Why run the truck at 10mpg when you can get it done with the car at 40ish?
With some of the other projects I've seen you involved in, I'm sure this isn't out of the norm for you haha
I've showed up at the scrap yard with the golf (not the welder, that thing welds good), scaled in at 4500, out at 2700
the bumpstops get used good
That's amazing.

Then you had to get it back out!
strapped it to a tree and pulled it out, then spent 3hr wheeling it 10' in the mud. Next day the ground was frozen. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

flashmayo

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta - Gator Tuned
Full set of leather seats brought back from the PicknPull.
A canoe and camping gear for 2 plus beer.
I once brought home a 50 bottle wine cabinet strapped to the roof rack.

Andrew Dale

TDI
MK4 TDI Golf
4 wheels with tires, 4 winter tires and a junk set of tires
thats 12 tires total but it seems my achievement isnt that impressive compared to some entries in this thread

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
4 wheels with tires, 4 winter tires and a junk set of tires
thats 12 tires total but it seems my achievement isnt that impressive compared to some entries in this thread
tires take up a butt-load of space, and are tricky to pack in without ruining the interior

I think I've only had 8 in my golf, and it was pretty jammed full even with the interior and seats out. You got a wagon?

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Let's see... The champ probably is a sofa. Hung out the back and I took the back roads home but it worked. Was worth it to see the looks on the faces of the guys at the loading dock!

Also have stuffed the Wagon with a 3'x6' high wood bookcase, an assembled NordicTrak, a single-car garage's worth of junk for recycling, a queen-sized innerspring futon mattress in its original box, and a 4x8 sheet of Masonite. The hatch closed only for the junk pile and the mattress.

And I once got a 5' live Christmas tree into (and out of) the trunk of an A4 Jetta sedan.

sruchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon
An oven from Craigslist. The seller said it wouldn't fit and that I needed a truck. Plenty of room!

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
An oven from Craigslist. The seller said it wouldn't fit and that I needed a truck. Plenty of room!
Nice!! Good to know actually. I won't have to go home to pickup a trailer when I find one I like...

I picked up a Steelcase IBM punch card file drawer from ReStore for a buddy of mine. It fit lying on it's back and the wagon hatch closed. The folks who watched me load it were amazed...
Don't ask me what we can fit in the MkV sedan... :rolleyes:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4966499&postcount=2470

AK_Jetta

TDI
2003 Jetta Station Wagon
Two Falls ago I brought home four game bags of a quartered caribou for the family, driving home with all the windows open on a hot autumn day.

Last fall I missed the opportunity for a nice bull but thought it would have looked silly driving 400 miles back home with a set of antlers out the sunroof.....

Still got 52 mpg, best tank ever!

Prairie Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta, 04 Jetta
Love it... ^^^

hauled a 1/2 steer (frozen) from CO to IL. Wrapped in plastic with several layers of sleeping bags and AC on. It kept pretty well.

4 coolers full of venison from WI to IL

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Fit two full size house doors (30"x80") in my wagon today, had to bungie the hatch down. Now I know what my exhaust and tuebo sound, and smell like under a load. Fun stuff.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
A little over a year ago I put a complete Smyth-Ute kit for a jetta in the back of my 4-dr Golf. Well, except for the tailgate which was separately shipped.

Cheers,

PH

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I've carried 20 ft copper pipes under my old 03 JSW.
Tied them up in front under the hood & inside the back latches.
Didn't have to go far or fast on a back road.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Fit two full size house doors (30"x80") in my wagon today, had to bungie the hatch down. Now I know what my exhaust and tuebo sound, and smell like under a load. Fun stuff.
pull the passenger seat, then you can even close the hatch
hell, 10' lumber will fit with the hatch closed
9' will fit in a golf
I may let 20' stuff hang 9' past the rear bumper sometimes
the heater box is pretty strong, with that much length hanging levered against it

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Nero,
You gotta' get some roof rack cross bars for the wagon. Get the long stuff on the roof folks!
With how often I haul stupid thing, and I'm too lazy to pull the camper off my truck, I should. Doesn't help one of my electric Jack's is starting to fail. So..... More reason to leave it!

I've fit a single barrel into the back of my wagon sideways, still was able to pull the tonneau shut and everything. It was empty of course.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Lashed a 4"x10' & a 2"x10' PVC pipe* to the cross bars, no muss no fuss. Internally I've taken out the rear bench seat so the seat backs lie flatter, for the rare 3rd passenger the seat backs go back up and a blanket provides seat padding.
Rear seat belts still functional.
Up to 12' lumber on the Golf, for 16' I use the Jeep, it's got more spread between the bars mounted to the factory longitudinal rails. Both vehicles will take >200#s on the roof.

Got these on the Jeep, I like the slight extension past the rails for tieing off. OEM VW racks for the Golf.
The Omac bars referenced in the Ebay link are good quality, dunno what they got for JSW rails, but I bet they've
got something.

*Adventures in plumbing, I got a couple insanely expensive quotes. Bought a $100 worth of fittings and pipe, the old
cast iron drain has finally rusted through. Lol, iffen it takes me a week, I'll still be waaaaay ahead.

Stiesel

TDI
None for now
I fit a front load washer and dryer in my 03 wagon. Not ideal on their side but they fit.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
New Cooktop In box into golf easily. Wagons are better because they have flat lip on hatch entry. Put perforated boards in back seat and poked a hole in the ceiling right after getting car. I put an O2j in golf hatch but I set it on bumper before loading as it started leaking, and gouged the bumper paint terribly. I’d invest in weather tech liner for hatch but then I’d put foul things back there. A 5x8 trailer is my preference. Got a jotul f3 stove in a wagon but gouged a hole in the carpet.