Brake rotors

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
So Passats apparently have a tendency to warp the front brake rotors.

I'm not exactly sure why that is. But supposedly the Passat front rotors are interchangeable with the Jetta GLI and the GTI with the 312mm rotors.

But I never hear of warped rotors on those cars, so I wonder if it might be a good idea to use pads and rotors from one of those models or should I just go with aftermarket parts?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Larger vehicle, more stopping power needed? I noticed ours was purchased with a warped rotor. Need to figure out which one it is still.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Larger vehicle, more stopping power needed? I noticed ours was purchased with a warped rotor. Need to figure out which one it is still.
Theoretically yes...

But according to google the curb weight of my Passat is approx 3400 lbs.

My brothers 2008 Jetta GLI (which uses the same rotor according to multiple aftermarket sources) has a curb weight of approx 3,300 lbs.

100lbs isnt going to make an appreciable difference.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
i'd rather mark it up to bad batch VW picked up on the cheap.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/au...jetta-passat-eos-gti-cc-zimmerman-1k0615301aa

Rocking these guys after 33K on stock ones, no complaints so far price was right too boot. I'll report back how long it'll take if pad deposits build up on them. I was able to just undo the carrier bolt and remove carrier and caliper as one then swap rotors, first rotor came off soon as the carrier was removed, second needed 2 slight taps.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Once I changed my braking style, noise was eliminated. I never had issues with VAG brake rotors warping, nor with premature wear (always 50-80k miles). I drove VAG cars from 1983 until 2014.

I NEVER "slow" or gradual brake. My passengers have sometimes complained about my "aggressive" braking, but they got used to it.

When I know I need to stop, I stab the brakes rather firmly to break forward momentum, then coast, until the very last few yards to re-apply brakes, always rather firmly. This minimizes heat buildup in the pads and rotor.

With the exception of the "wooden" brake pedal feel in my 2012 NMS Passat, I've never had any brake fade.

YMMV.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
Note to self: don't sip hot coffee when approaching an intersection in tdiatlast's car. LOL

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
warped vs pad deposits are two different things, maybe our braking style could have prevented pad deposits on OEM rotors, but chance of me having the wife change her driving style is slim to nil.

I honestly think the damage was done when we bought the car and the VWoA NOS dealer shake down drive to clean the rotors after 2 years got the rotors crazy hot then the dealer parked the car baking the pads onto the front rotors, then the deposits built up over the daily driving.

I will note back around 20K I did some very heavy repeated aggressive stops to try and clean the rotors, it reduced the shudder, but was still present and the visual pad imprint on the roto was still visual.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Note to self: don't sip hot coffee when approaching an intersection in tdiatlast's car. LOL
Ah...c'mon...I'm not THAT aggressive!:p

I've often wondered about driving in the heat of the summer (TX HOT HOT HOT), and then plunging the rotors into an ice cold thunderstorm puddle...

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Ah...c'mon...I'm not THAT aggressive!:p
I've often wondered about driving in the heat of the summer (TX HOT HOT HOT), and then plunging the rotors into an ice cold thunderstorm puddle...
Yeah I don't think that's such a good idea.... This might happen :)

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's my point. As usual, we're dealing with a compromise...thinner, ventilated rotor material, probably more prone to warping...
I've never had the problem, but my passengers are required to wear neck braces...

Seriously, I wasn't that aggressive, just aware.

I've stated elsewhere, though, that driving electric/hybrids...braking is the exact opposite. A gentle toe on the pedal engages regenerating braking, zero wear on pads rotors. My 2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid, at 89k miles, brakes are 1/2 worn, and...virtually no brake dust. Still averaging 38-39mpg.

rams2500

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
My 15 had 43,000 miles on it when I bought it. Front rotors shook bad when braking. New oe rotors and stops like new. Pads were excellent yet.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
My 15 had 43,000 miles on it when I bought it. Front rotors shook bad when braking. New oe rotors and stops like new. Pads were excellent yet.
Normally I would agree. I am a stickler for using OEM parts. You might say I have been brainwashed after having worked for Vw for 14+ years.

However "warped" rotors has been an ongoing complaint with the Passat. No other model that I can think of. I dont know if they used a different metal (more or less carbon content, china steel, etc) or what, but pulsating brakes is a constant complaint with the Passat.

I'm strongly considering going aftermarket rotors.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's been discussed to death, IMO OEM doesn't mean anything, VW has 3-5 vendors that supplies them "OEM" rotors and pads, going to the dealer and buying OEM branded parts doesn't mean you'll get the same rotors that rolled off the assembly line, more the same rotors that meet the VW spec of the day at the price point VW wants to slap their name on. I'll mark up VW just bought a sub par batch for the later Passats.

Just as long as you're not going for Advanced Auto or Napa house brand economy rotors, there's def room for improvement over "OEM branded" rotors.

Stoptec/Centrix rotors did catch my eye, but I'm enjoying the look of zimmermans.