ID Parts sends wrong timing belt and its 9 on a friday night

IH_Power

TDI
2015 Passat, 2013 Passat (gone), 2004 Jetta(gone)
Was well into changing the timing belt on my wife's 2015 Passat with a CVCA and got to the part where I install the new belt and what do you know its for a 1.6 GM engine. Gonna take quite the belt stretcher to make it fit.

Any one have any idea what auto parts stores would have a chance of having a timing belt in very short notice? Gonna hit up the VW dealers tomorrow and pray.

Looks like the water pump is correct at least.

Maybe a beer will calm my anger .....

IH_Power

TDI
Thankfully VW of Fort Wayne (Voderman) had the belt, rollers, and tensioner. Not surprisingly several dealers said they had never sold one. Car is mobile again and tempers calmed.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
What was the date stamped on the belt you got from a dealer?

you reach out to IDparts? I think this is the first I've heard of them sending wrong parts, let alone a crucial part as a TB.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sorry about that. We just added this kit from Gates and somewhere in the process the 3 digit number for the belt got transposed. You're the first customer to install one, although we have sold a bunch of the OE and INA kits. We've corrected the error, but that didn't help you on a Friday night. My apologies. I'm glad you were able to find the parts locally right away.

ksandin

TDI
2015 Passat SE 6sp manual, 2015 Passat SE DSG
Was well into changing the timing belt on my wife's 2015 Passat with a CVCA and got to the part where I install the new belt
How'd the job go? I have a ways to go but still planning ahead....

Thanks,

IH_Power

TDI
Sorry I didn't check a date on the belt. The container did seem a bit shelf worn....

As for the job itself it was about 3 hours disassembly. 4 to put it back together.

One thing to note is I could not get the DEF injector fitting to come off correctly. I like the push to connect fittings but the automotive world needs to standardize those. Every one has a little different trick to getting the clips to disengage. I ended up spiraling the connector clip out of the fitting very carefully to get the fitting to release.

Timing the camshaft went right on the first try. Spun the engine 2x revs and the timing stayed correct. Metalnerd tools make it easy.

I primed with VCDS as I disconnected the fuel filter, bending the hoses as much as the manual said did not strike me as good. From VW's perspective the hose risk probably pales to HPFP failures due to contamination.

I used the engine manual from VW's ErWin. Which every other OEM should implement something like that. I will gladly pay for the right info. Gotta love the translations though, sometimes they are a bit cryptic.

If you have done a timing belt on anything newer than BEW engine it will be very familiar. Just more hoses/lines to move out of the way.

Last edited:

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
For anyone looking for detailed TB instructions, myturbodiesel.com has a great write up. The final section of directions is pay-walled, but well worth the donation/subscription price (I think it was $10 lifetime when I signed up).

RuneTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 97 passat tdi (SOLD)
honest mistake from idparts. ive been using them for over 10 years and theyre great. Peter? owned up to it so hopefully all good here. what he said makes sense. im due for a tb in around 2 years and when i called a know tdi guru, he said they just dont get many of then anymore. most have sold back to vw.