2002 Jetta TDI slight grind going into 2nd (5speed)

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta, 5 speed, 400k milesish
My shifting has started getting a little notchy in the last couple of months. I don't rag on the car, no power shifting or any of that nonsense. No idea how old trans fluid is - possibly original (220kish) on trans. Dog bone is probably original. Cable ends still seem to be in good shape. I did install the Dieselgeek gear getter last year as my old bushing desintegrated.

Could fluid/dog bone or combo of the two lead to this. Almost 340k on car now.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Tired fluid won't allow the syncros to work right. I'd try a fluid flush and go from there.

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Pennzoil Syncromesh? GM Syncromesh?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I used Valvoline MTF syncromesh, because it's got the correct rating.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I read somewhere you need to use the oils that's yellow metal compatible or something like that. I know I definitely wouldn't run what my truck uses in my car.

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
I don't see how the dog bone could cause the tranny to be notchy/grind in certain gears.

My 1st and 2nd are kinda notchy too I changed the fluid with pennzoil syncromesh/vw oem tranny fluid 50/50 mix (had the vw fluid lying around) and it didn't really improve the situation.

I noticed when I'm rolling (at the bottom of 2nd gear) it slides in like butter sometimes. So when engine rpm and input shaft match it's buttery. That leads me to believe synchros. Or maybe I don't fully understand how trannys work and I'm just guessing lol.

I might try going to either full syncromesh or actually buy another used tranny for cheap and crack it open, replace anything if needed, and install. In my situation it hasn't gotten any worse the last 10,000km.

You also might want to see if your clutch is disengaging by trying the reverse test. Complete stop on a flat surface put the clutch in and slowly put it into reverse and see if you hear any grinds.

Last edited:

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Pennzoil syncromesh solved my grinding/hard to get into 2nd. It was due. The "lifetime" dub crap that the PO had gotten from the dealer had turned to water.

I use the same for my Cummins as well. The GM also comes highly rated for these cars

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mechanic in a can isn't the same as worn out lube my friend.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Worn 2nd gear synchros. When I had my Peloquin installed the tech
talked me into a new set for 2nd. Still in spec, but showing wear.
He said 2nd always had the highest wear on all the gearboxes he worked on, and that's all he did, tranny work.

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Sunday I changed out the fluid with Pennzoil Syncromesh - so far much improved. The slight grinding I would get on occasion is no where to be found!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's what I'm talking about! Kind of amazing, isn't it? Who'd think gear oil would make that much of a difference.

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah 2 quarts seemed to do the trick. Just had the timing belt done a couple of weeks ago - 340k and counting!!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Awesome glad it's taken care of. Happy trails!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Syncromesh is just a name valvoline calls a certain gear oil they make. It's just gear oil, so replace all of it.

TdiRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep, 2 quarts. 17mm plugs on front and bottom of transmission. Front=fill / Bottom=drain.

300D

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6
Yup. I changed out my fluid with syncromesh a few months back. Made a difference right away, AND it got even better over the next few weeks. Magic.