2001 ALH mods

Maverick80

TDI
2011 cjaa , 2001 Jetta ALH
I just picked up an mk4 Jetta with a 1.9 ALH , I need to Change the oil but all other maintenance is good and I’m about to delete the egr so where should I start as for as bumping up power??

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
A basic set of nozzles goes a long way, I'd hit up cascade german since they're in your area. 205-216 section nozzles would be ideal if it's a manual car.

Maverick80

TDI
It is a manual car ! I would really like to get to 200 hp or even 225 hp eventually.....

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
How incrementally?

Pp764 or similar would help future proof, then a stage 3 south bend endurance clutch or similar

Once you have a vnt17 or larger, an 11mm pump + lift pump would help and give you fueling for around 200 (VNT17 maxing out around 165whp with aggressive fueling, 17/22 hybrids often around 175 or so). Would do head studs with a 4 bar map sensor when going for over 24 psi, at minimum a 3 bar is needed for more than 22.

GTb1756vk, gtb2056vklr, VNT17 hybrids (gt1856 etc) would be your best options in that power range. These are a brand new product and plug and play, might be an ideal replacement and would fit a downpipe for stock or vnt17 turbos. Still very new but worth keeping an eye on

https://pioneering-performance.com/...-custom-cast-manifold-billet-compressor-wheel

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
200-225hp you better open that wallet up to get that far with an ALH. I was around 180whp in my old Jetta and was into it over 3k just for that.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Yes I was at 160 hp and that was with PP520's RC4.5, VNT 17-22, large FMIC, and Wavetrac LSD.

If you go with PP764's you will probably want a tune. But of course that combination means you need to replace the clutch right away. I had this clutch in my car: https://www.idparts.com/sbc-stage-endurance-clutch-kit-wsmf-p-863.html

With that amount of power you will want a boost and EGT gauge too. I like this setup as the thermocouple is close the the turbo inlet: https://www.idparts.com/long-egt-probe-with-block-off-plate-p-1202.html

Next is the stock differential which is not very strong and the the power levels you desire you have a high probability of the clutch coming unglued. I love my Wavetrac

Maverick80

TDI
Ok maybe I was too enthusiastic in my hp goals.....maybe 150-175ish hahahaha

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I'd say start with the nozzles and see how it feels from there instead of getting too wound up about the numbers. I don't think you need to obtain 2-3x stock power before you feel it under your butt. I'd also think long and hard before removing the EGR in Oregon.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
A set of .205 nozzles will improve your performance quite a bit and not kill your FE. There is a funny thing about nozzles: buying a set now and wishing later you had bought the next size bigger gets expensive to do a turbo upgrade. I know, that is what I did. Get a set of .216 nozzles, and if you can find a dead vnt-15 get it made into a 1749 and save a lot of money on your upgrade. All of this of course requires a tune too. The .216 nozzles will work great with the stock turbo and a Stage 3 tune and get you in the 150-160 HP range at the flywheel (IIRC) and still have fueling available if you do a turbo upgrade later.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
A set of .205 nozzles will improve your performance quite a bit and not kill your FE.
pp764s improved mine over the stock .185s
DSS .360s remained the same as the pp764s, but with a lot more power

big nozzles get the fuel in there FAST and that makes for efficient combustion

p0wer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 3 -94 1Z 377hp, Golf 3 Cabrio 4-Motion 1.8T 620hp, Golf 3 Syncro 2.9 VR6 HX52, Bora AJM 4-Motion 2260vk +120% Firad, Passat 3B Syncro AFN 2260vk
Once you have a vnt17 or larger, an 11mm pump + lift pump would help and give you fueling for around 200
11mm pump is no needed before 300hp on ALH. Lift pump is no needed before 250hp if everything is fine on original line, helps to get rid from air though on first starts or filter changes. Sometimes there are problems on original line, and it needs bit tweaking even before tuning to work as it should.

200-225hp you better open that wallet up to get that far with an ALH. I was around 180whp in my old Jetta and was into it over 3k just for that.

Only turbo, nozzles and good tune for 200hpish needed for ALH if you won´t WOT for miles. Can be done with 1k only if you can cut and weld yourself. +500usd to clutch if you want all torque out.

p0wer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 3 -94 1Z 377hp, Golf 3 Cabrio 4-Motion 1.8T 620hp, Golf 3 Syncro 2.9 VR6 HX52, Bora AJM 4-Motion 2260vk +120% Firad, Passat 3B Syncro AFN 2260vk
I won´t take side for anyone personally :) Everyone doesn´t have that much passion for building, that they want to get all tools or even proper carage. If so, then every individual project will be much more expensive when everything must be purchased ready, even installation. Every people have so many different styles.

This is why its almost impossible to answer question "how much does it cost to tune 90hp to 300hp", and that´s why there are simple and universal options for moderate results with comparatively high price, such as "stage x-tunes", exhausts, ic kits with installation service and so on. But would it be profitable or will it be tuning or is it self built? Well, everyone decides for themselves.

Because im poor and i want good results and durability for the currency, there isn´t much options :D

I just picked up an mk4 Jetta with a 1.9 ALH , I need to Change the oil but all other maintenance is good and I’m about to delete the egr so where should I start as for as bumping up power??
What budget do you have, how much can you make yourself and what power levels you are really aiming?

Last edited:

Maverick80

TDI
Well I own and operate a custom fabrication shop so I can make almost anything and at one time built hod rods for people with more money than me so the skill and tools to do it myself are there just looking for a direction..... 150+ hp would work!

I won´t take side for anyone personally :) Everyone doesn´t have that much passion for building, that they want to get all tools or even proper carage. If so, then every individual project will be much more expensive when everything must be purchased ready, even installation. Every people have so many different styles.

This is why its almost impossible to answer question "how much does it cost to tune 90hp to 300hp", and that´s why there are simple and universal options for moderate results with comparatively high price, such as "stage x-tunes", exhausts, ic kits with installation service and so on. But would it be profitable or will it be tuning or is it self built? Well, everyone decides for themselves.

Because im poor and i want good results and durability for the currency, there isn´t much options :D

What budget do you have, how much can you make yourself and what power levels you are really aiming?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Maverik,

Turbo and nozzles, get more air with a PD150 intake, a 2.5" exhaust for better flow. Check out the turbos on offer from these folks;

gottuned.com

A 17/56 and some .216 nozzles and a stage 4, (26psi boost) tune will
be a lot of fun. Get a clutch, you'll need it. And spend some money
on suspension and tires, I'm a fan of 16".

If you've played with hot rods, then the above will be plenty.
A straight VNT17 will probably leave you looking for more.

My $.02

Maverick80

TDI
Thanks russe11......I’m shopping stuff now and seeing how much money I will have into it and I think I can do it pretty cheap... 1-2k

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
M80, I have a custom 15-17/56 turbo and am very happy with it. I had vnt-15 that died so we put a 56mm compressor wheel in the vnt-15 cold side, I polished the turbo outlet in the manifold. I live above 4500' elevation so making solid power with a stock vnt-15 is just not realistic.