Airbag Recall

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
I received a notice in the mail yesterday indicating my '15 Passat Tdi has the defective airbag inflator. I'm bringing it in this Monday (4/8/19) for the repair.
Service guy said I can wait as it's only around one hour of labor. I'd heard about the Takata airbag issue, but never thought my Passat was one with an issue. From what I have read the recall was so large, that the recall was more or less rolled out by manufactures in stages.
Anyhow, always have this car in the wind. Probably good I did not know it potentially could be fatal, and am glad my local dealer has me coming in immediately to have it fixed.

Last edited:

Radek

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Was told the same, around 2 hr fix time, no loaner as I wanted to leave my car there for a day

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Yep the same here a month ago, got the letter. Will take it in when we have the time and whenever they have availability and new airbag replacement in stock, its been out of stock constantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
Was told the same, around 2 hr fix time, no loaner as I wanted to leave my car there for a day
I hear ya. When they tell me an hour, I plan on it being twice that.
Your dealer is probably being more accurate. :)
Guess I'll fill up on free coffee and snacks and watch GMA while using their free WiFi.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I hear ya. When they tell me an hour, I plan on it being twice that.

Your dealer is probably being more accurate. :)

Guess I'll fill up on free coffee and snacks and watch GMA while using their free WiFi.

Ha! Good one. My stealership tend to have 2 boxes of donuts. :) other stealership tend to have fresh baked cookies. Interesting how each do it differently with their own tastes. Ford and others dont do that.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Ha! Good one. My stealership tend to have 2 boxes of donuts. :) other stealership tend to have fresh baked cookies. Interesting how each do it differently with their own tastes. Ford and others dont do that.

Yeah, unfortunately, my local dealer is inside a Ford dealership (and will continue to be owned by the same guy once it finally moves to its own building down the road) so whenever I ask for snacks I get pointed to a water dispenser and vending machine :(

The one I used to go to had actual hotdog cookouts and an ice chest of sodas every Friday...but it's a couple hours away.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, unfortunately, my local dealer is inside a Ford dealership (and will continue to be owned by the same guy once it finally moves to its own building down the road) so whenever I ask for snacks I get pointed to a water dispenser and vending machine :(

The one I used to go to had actual hotdog cookouts and an ice chest of sodas every Friday...but it's a couple hours away.

Dang! Thats truly an soul killer right there. That will make you feel unwelcome there. :( I definitely will not come back to that place if they keep doing that. But you live too far from them apart.

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle(sold) MK4 Golf TDI(sold) Mk4 Jetta TDI(parted out) MK4 Golf GTI w/ALH swap (built then parted out) 2015 Passat TDI Highline (current)
already got that recall done on my car.
they plug in their computer, scan the car, pop the airbag out and put the new one in...super quick job

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow nice to know that. :) thank you for sharing.

Radek

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Can I bring the car without an airbag so they can put it in ? :)

Radek

TDI
2015 Passat SEL
Steering wheel airbag only I was told

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
Steering wheel airbag only I was told
Yes. That is correct.
I was in the shop at 7:30am and they had me out at 8:15.
Impressed. I did find a video on YT showing the removal of airbag unit in the steering wheel. Looked to be a very straightforward procedure.
Glad it's done.
They had a 2019 (I believe) Jetta GLI 30th Anniversary Edition in the showroom. It was beautiful! Even had a six speed. Just wasn't available with the oil burner engine option. :(

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
They had a 2019 (I believe) Jetta GLI 30th Anniversary Edition in the showroom. It was beautiful! Even had a six speed. Just wasn't available with the oil burner engine option. :([/QUOTE]

Good luck with that I don't think TDI's will ever come back everyone is making electric cars now. Boy how fun drive 200 miles and recharge for 8 hours. Forget going anyplace like up north that's more than 10 miles away. I will buy an electric car when I can recharge in 5mins and go 700 miles on a charge or 600 miles when it's -20 below zero.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I phoned my Dealer to set up my 20K oil change for the 15 SEL and was told there were a number of items that needed work or at least inspection. These included the air bag, the adblue heater, a heat shield and an exhaust flapper gate and the 2nd part of the emissions fix.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
They had a 2019 (I believe) Jetta GLI 30th Anniversary Edition in the showroom. It was beautiful! Even had a six speed. Just wasn't available with the oil burner engine option. :(

Good luck with that I don't think TDI's will ever come back everyone is making electric cars now. Boy how fun drive 200 miles and recharge for 8 hours. Forget going anyplace like up north that's more than 10 miles away. I will buy an electric car when I can recharge in 5mins and go 700 miles on a charge or 600 miles when it's -20 below zero.[/QUOTE]

Wow you have any more data points from 2003 about electric cars?

More like drive 300 miles, charge for 20 min to drive 100 more miles. Yeah its not the same as a 10 min fill up for 800 more miles, but you also don't need to stand out next to the car while it charging in those -20F temps.

As for cold weather operating, they can preheat everything when connected on shore power so no need to get into a cold car, also range in cold is dropped but not as dramatically as you stated, more like 20-30% hit depending on your creature comforts.