www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old April 10th, 2019, 13:46   #31
BeetlePD

TDI(s): Beetle 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmolly View Post
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
...The forum is to post and learn things. Not just generate useless posts.

He said, uselessly.
LOL! I love your response.
BeetlePD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2019, 13:52   #32
BeetlePD

TDI(s): Beetle 2005

vBulletin Message Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

- If this is your idea of helpful you might want to try again.
BeetlePD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2019, 15:38   #33
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Try advanced search then Google searches below it. Your an engineer eh? It's all there just read!
http://www.tdiclub.com/search/?cx=01...rch+of+TDIClub

Last edited by MichaelB; April 10th, 2019 at 15:41. Reason: grammer
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2019, 16:12   #34
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeetlePD View Post
- If this is your idea of helpful you might want to try again.
The links may be broken but evidently you didn't even try to search as I outlined in the post. Just shows you aren't even trying. I don't know why you expect others to help when you won't even try yourself. Just try the search as I mentioned in the post and see if you get anything. MichaelB has also made good suggestions.
Old April 12th, 2019, 08:02   #35
James & Son
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...ght=JNitrofish

Here you go- 23000 miles on TDT.

FlyByWire has been successfull though as MichaelB has pointed out some rehashed science on the subject in another thread.

I will see if I can find FBW post on how many customers are close to 20,000. Much safer to go between 10,000 and 15000.

Last edited by James & Son; April 12th, 2019 at 08:15.
James & Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2019, 21:23   #36
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 Golf

I've always run between 20K and 25K mile intervals with TDT or T6. I've done 4 analyses over the last 140K miles and each was excellent. I'm around 180K now and all is well in cam department.

This in a '04 BEW.
Malone Tuned, SBC Stage II Daily, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass oil filter, Whitedog intake hose fix, A4 Defender skid plate, GLI Recaros, Check Temp III, Ventectomy, LED trunk lighting mod, Volx glass headlight lenses, VR6 front and wagon rear springs. Koni FSDs all around. FrostHeater with bumper mounted plug-in mod (details here).
OlyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2019, 06:00   #37
James & Son
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

History, history.
The ultra low sulfur fuel has allowed for extended oil changes when doing a lot of highway driving. There is no use doing a search on this subject as it has taken years of TDIforum history to get to the point that one can run extended oil changes on a PD (brm, bew) under the right circumstances(post 2007 due to ulsfuel.

All other models do not have cam issues and can run 0w-30 if you like. 0w-30 was the hot topic back in early 2000,s and alot of members were switching to it since VW was promoting the long life.

If it wasn't for the PD we would not be using 5w-40 oil unless you pulled a heavily loaded trailer. Synthetic 5w-30 would do just fine in light duty applications.

In a PD unless you do a lot of highway travel you are going to have cam wear. Any short distance and start stop kills a less than perfectly ground cam very quickly. The franko6 cam and colt cams have seemly solved the quality problem in this regard and have improved the life expectancy. Using 5w-40 oils is required for the added viscosity due to the narrower lobes(12mm) than all previous flat tappet models(15mm)

When scurvy ran extended he did it cold turkey and used every trick in the book to make sure he was not screwing up his motor. It was costing people a lot of money when the cam problem showed up in 2008. There was no fix in 2008.

I had my cam replaced under warrantee and the second OEM cam lasted 90,000 miles. The cam ground surface was very rough and caused excessive wear on the lifters. Long highway miles may have allowed it to last much longer.
James & Son is offline   Reply With Quote