20,000 miles on oil?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
vBulletin Message Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
vBulletin Message Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
- If this is your idea of helpful you might want to try again.
The links may be broken but evidently you didn't even try to search as I outlined in the post. Just shows you aren't even trying. I don't know why you expect others to help when you won't even try yourself. Just try the search as I mentioned in the post and see if you get anything. MichaelB has also made good suggestions.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
I've always run between 20K and 25K mile intervals with TDT or T6. I've done 4 analyses over the last 140K miles and each was excellent. I'm around 180K now and all is well in cam department.

This in a '04 BEW.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
History, history.
The ultra low sulfur fuel has allowed for extended oil changes when doing a lot of highway driving. There is no use doing a search on this subject as it has taken years of TDIforum history to get to the point that one can run extended oil changes on a PD (brm, bew) under the right circumstances(post 2007 due to ulsfuel.

All other models do not have cam issues and can run 0w-30 if you like. 0w-30 was the hot topic back in early 2000,s and alot of members were switching to it since VW was promoting the long life.

If it wasn't for the PD we would not be using 5w-40 oil unless you pulled a heavily loaded trailer. Synthetic 5w-30 would do just fine in light duty applications.

In a PD unless you do a lot of highway travel you are going to have cam wear. Any short distance and start stop kills a less than perfectly ground cam very quickly. The franko6 cam and colt cams have seemly solved the quality problem in this regard and have improved the life expectancy. Using 5w-40 oils is required for the added viscosity due to the narrower lobes(12mm) than all previous flat tappet models(15mm)

When scurvy ran extended he did it cold turkey and used every trick in the book to make sure he was not screwing up his motor. It was costing people a lot of money when the cam problem showed up in 2008. There was no fix in 2008.

I had my cam replaced under warrantee and the second OEM cam lasted 90,000 miles. The cam ground surface was very rough and caused excessive wear on the lifters. Long highway miles may have allowed it to last much longer.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi

I did my first uoa with Blackstone at 331.5k miles ...

I pushed the oil to 16k and sent the sample in...

The result was They told me to try 20,000 miles on the next oil change because everything looks so good, and I had plenty of additives left.

My TBN number was 5.7. And they consider 1.0 or less to be low.... Apparently the TBN number is the amount of additives left ... although I'm not sure how they would know, but I wonder how much additive the oil starts out with number wise?

If I knew how to post up pictures, I would.

But in a nutshell if you don't have leaky fuel injectors or any head gasket leaks etcetera and drive mainly on the highway 20 k should be easily doable ( They even said in their comments to me if my 20K used oil analysis looks good I should have a longer oci ...

Andrew