www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old January 19th, 2019, 22:51   #1
WolfgangVW
Veteran Member

Default Ecodes or HID or other options?

Hi all. Just was reading a few other threads on headlights. What are a good option for good night driving on Highway etc?? I have cheap knockoff ecodes, they were great brand new and still are decent, but was wondering if HID or projector lights or something else is a better option. Are projectors better / brighter than ecodes? I really liked the ecode beam pattern and found them to be quite an improvement from the originals.

I don't know much about what the different types of headlights hid or xenon and what all that even means so any info is appreciated! Are there ecode projector lights?

Are there any light options for the mk4 Jetta that have high and low beams complete separate bulb?

Last edited by WolfgangVW; January 19th, 2019 at 22:58.
WolfgangVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2019, 22:52   #2
WolfgangVW
Veteran Member

Also what's a good option for avoiding the lense fogging over? Like I hear stuff about glass lenses, but are they susceptible to cracking from rocks etc?
Old January 19th, 2019, 23:36   #3
STDOUBT
Veteran Member

Of course the glass ones are subject to breakage. There is enormous info on this site regarding your questions. The problem is, the search function here was written in 1993. Use bing or google to search for whatever, and include tdiclub with your search terms.

Here's an interesting vendor's site with a lot of options, and some depth of info:
www.midwestlight.biz
I'm looking forward to an upgrade myself, and going for bi-xenon HID's under glass.
Waiting for a few more paychecks!
The trick to preventing hazing on plastic headlights seems to be keeping them very clean and actually polished thereafter with some kind of hydrophobic polish with UV protection. Some ppl use actual clear coat for paint.
Old January 20th, 2019, 00:12   #4
Nero Morg
Veteran Member

Xenon bulbs are HIDs. Never ever ever ever ever put xenon or LED bulbs in a standard housing unless you want to o blind everyone else on the road.

There's no such thing as an e code HID. The e code is the layout of the light cutoff. E codes are a great upgrade form stock, me personally I'm going to HIDs. I ordered a set from Midwest Lighting, they showed up Friday. I'll most likely be installing them tomorrow, and I'll upload photos as I go.

As for plastic lense fogging up, there's this UV protectant called 303 aerospace. One application every three months keeps them from yellowing out. I almost went with the glass upgrade, but was worried about breaking. Plastic can be sanded and polished up. Glass you have to replace.
And then the wife's 2014 Passat TDI SEL all stock
Nero Morg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2019, 05:08   #5
PakProtector
Veteran Member

There are halogen lights with projector low, and reflector high. The one bit I would like to see is a way to keep the low's on when the high's are engaged( like the Golf and its two bulb system; not lighting both in something like an H4).
cheers,
Douglas

2004 Jetta, 5spd...stock and turning 47-48mpg
PakProtector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2019, 10:29   #6
Nero Morg
Veteran Member

I don't think that's a wise idea for a dual filimant bulb, it would output too much heat and can melt the housing. Seen it too many times on higher wattage dual filament brake lights.
Old January 20th, 2019, 11:16   #7
PakProtector
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Morg View Post
I don't think that's a wise idea for a dual filimant bulb, it would output too much heat and can melt the housing. Seen it too many times on higher wattage dual filament brake lights.
Am not suggesting running both of a single bulb filaments. Examine these:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-spyder-p...65-space-~spy/

Low beam projector, reflector high. As delivered they light one or the other. Would like to deliver Golf-like lighting; turning on both the projector and reflector at the same time.

Ideas?
cheers,
Douglas

Old January 20th, 2019, 13:12   #8
Alchemist
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 ALH Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PakProtector View Post
Am not suggesting running both of a single bulb filaments. Examine these:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-spyder-p...65-space-~spy/

Low beam projector, reflector high. As delivered they light one or the other. Would like to deliver Golf-like lighting; turning on both the projector and reflector at the same time.

Ideas?
cheers,
Douglas

The Yellow/Green wire from the dimmer stalk switch Pin T12-8 needs to move to the headlight switch Pin T17-7. That's all it takes to make a Jetta act like a Golf.

Equipped with VCDS and a hoist in a heated shop.
I was told I have every tool known to man.
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2019, 20:23   #9
Nero Morg
Veteran Member

Those are pretty neat headlamps. I didn't shop around much when I got my HID's, but I sure am happy with them!
Old January 20th, 2019, 21:14   #10
WolfgangVW
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STDOUBT View Post
Of course the glass ones are subject to breakage. There is enormous info on this site regarding your questions. The problem is, the search function here was written in 1993. Use bing or google to search for whatever, and include tdiclub with your search terms.

Here's an interesting vendor's site with a lot of options, and some depth of info:
www.midwestlight.biz
I'm looking forward to an upgrade myself, and going for bi-xenon HID's under glass.
Waiting for a few more paychecks!
The trick to preventing hazing on plastic headlights seems to be keeping them very clean and actually polished thereafter with some kind of hydrophobic polish with UV protection. Some ppl use actual clear coat for paint.
Ok thanks for this! But i couldn't make the link work ??

Last edited by WolfgangVW; January 20th, 2019 at 21:21.
Old January 20th, 2019, 21:16   #11
WolfgangVW
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PakProtector View Post
There are halogen lights with projector low, and reflector high. The one bit I would like to see is a way to keep the low's on when the high's are engaged( like the Golf and its two bulb system; not lighting both in something like an H4).
cheers,
Douglas
What do you mean by projector low and reflector high?? Is that HID low and halogen high??
Old January 20th, 2019, 21:24   #12
WolfgangVW
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Morg View Post
Xenon bulbs are HIDs. Never ever ever ever ever put xenon or LED bulbs in a standard housing unless you want to o blind everyone else on the road.
There's no such thing as an e code HID. The e code is the layout of the light cutoff. E codes are a great upgrade form stock, me personally I'm going to HIDs. I ordered a set from Midwest Lighting, they showed up Friday. I'll most likely be installing them tomorrow, and I'll upload photos as I go.
As for plastic lense fogging up, there's this UV protectant called 303 aerospace. One application every three months keeps them from yellowing out. I almost went with the glass upgrade, but was worried about breaking. Plastic can be sanded and polished up. Glass you have to replace.
Thanks Nero, where do you get the aerospace product?? Have you had ecodes before?? I really like the light cutoff pattern. How do they compare to your HID?? Post back after you install!!!
Old January 20th, 2019, 22:41   #13
Nero Morg
Veteran Member

I bought the Aerospace at Napa auto parts. Not something they carried normally, but they were able to get it from their distribution center. I had used one of those 3M headlight restore kits on my wife's B5 headlights, turned them out to like new. That was a year ago and zero fogging out since then.
Old January 21st, 2019, 01:03   #14
PakProtector
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
The Yellow/Green wire from the dimmer stalk switch Pin T12-8 needs to move to the headlight switch Pin T17-7. That's all it takes to make a Jetta act like a Golf.
So this is done by de-pinning the stalk, fishing the wire free to then stick it in the headlight's connector?

I thank you for the note, but for my limited experience with this sort of thing, a pic or seven would be of much help.
cheers,
Douglas

Old January 21st, 2019, 06:10   #15
Frans
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

TDI(s): Golf MK2 TDI

Do you have a mk4 golf or jetta/bora? The euro golf ones are glass, the bora ones from plastic. With the glass ones we recommend the oem hella, bosch , valeo e-code versions. Combined with some 65w osram bulbs it will outperform any xenon/hid system