VW Still Believes In Diesels; Unveils New 2.0 TDI Mild Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I had a Rogue rental last year in Virginia, and wasn't impressed with their CVT at all. I can live with the one in my Outback, but that's because it's the 6 cylinder. I probably wouldn't have bought it with the 4 cylinder.

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
I had a Rogue rental last year in Virginia, and wasn't impressed with their CVT at all. I can live with the one in my Outback, but that's because it's the 6 cylinder. I probably wouldn't have bought it with the 4 cylinder.
I'm pretty sure this is why the Subaru Crosstrek is such junk. A gutless 4cyl with that worthless CVT.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I'm pretty sure this is why the Subaru Crosstrek is such junk. A gutless 4cyl with that worthless CVT.
I took a Crosstrek Hybrid for a test drive a couple of years ago, whenever they were available. It seemed acceptable, but the Hybrid was not available with Eyesight. I had a Forester rental for about a month last year, and that was what convinced me I couldn't live with the 4 cylinder CVT. I rarely realize I have a CVT with my 6 cylinder.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't jump on a new Tiguan TDI if they suddenly appeared. But I expect all we'll see in the US is a hybrid version. I'd likely take that as well, if they can keep prices under control.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Pick Up Trucks Still Have Diesel Options

The pickups both USA and Asian have diesel options. I even think there are a few SUV's with diesel options....

I still have my TDI Diesel I4 SportWagen..... There are plenty of fuel stations with diesel fuel to buy at excellent price per gallon.... I am good.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I still have my TDI Diesel I4 SportWagen..... There are plenty of fuel stations with diesel fuel to buy at excellent price per gallon.... I am good.
'pilot, i miss my 2013 JSW TDI 6M. Averaged 44+ MPG until the day VW made me the "offer I could not refuse".

Diesel here on our left coast is outrageous. I have been better.

all the best,

ez

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
This thread has seriously gone off topic :p

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
to get back OT:

I think about a hybrid VW from an historical perspective. Yes, Dr. Porsche pretty much invented the technology (Mixt Drive, 122 years ago) but you will notice he had the good sense to abandon such nonsense by the time he had matured to the point of making his signature design and later his own cars. All through the air cooled era, Porsche and VW vehicles featured super simple and reliable electrical components - mostly from Robert Bosch gmbh.

Fast forward to 1969 when der kleineautogesellschaft went vasserpumpen with the acquisition and merger of Auto Union and NSU. The first Audi (1973 Fox) to reach these shores had a pretty neat inline 4, but was characterized by some of the most mickey-mouse (sorry Walt) electrical devices known to man. The first A platform cars, starting with the Scriocco, sported the same junk that routinely failed.

Now, just to clearly show this bifurcated company, the introduction of Bosch (really Bendix) D Jetronic into air cooled cars was quite successful, with even the failure of a computer (actually an extremely rare event) so simple that as mechanics (that's what they called us then) we would simply open it up and find the fried component and run down to Radio Shack and buy a new one to solder in place. It was seldom a problem to HAVE, never mind need to fix and electrical problem in an air cooled VW. Most were caused by inept mechanics screwing up terminations - especially to ground points.

Not so true for the "new direction" with the arrival of the AutoUnion based cars.

So here we are in an era where EVERYTHING at VW is pretty much Audi-like and electrical/electronic stuff still is about as poorly designed and built as the first C platform 5000s - that were reliability disasters. Think of the already overloaded fuse/relay box of an A1 Golf overloaded further with at least double the current load from slapped on devices, almost perfectly mounted in every car directly below the water leak path from the antenna hole. VW/Audi seems to have a very difficult time moving much beyond that way of doing things in the digital era.

The only thing to ever make VW/Audi an alternative to anything was their excellent diesel engine development - until of course their arrogance to so flagrantly violate rules and lie about it.

And you think I would buy a whole car that relied on VW making a successful electrical or electronic device? (BTW: my new-to-me ultra low mile Q7 TDI just locked on the rear view camera for my wife while I am out on the road for an extended project out of country - thrilled I am).

Dream on. I have just bought my last ever VW product after 52 years of loyal ownership.

Last edited:

cheezy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 NB, 96 B4V
Apparently some VW group members missed that memo;
Porsche eliminates diesel cars from its lineup
I'll believe it when I see it; CNN.money dot com and the Car mags toe the line for the big 3, perpetuating all lies which are deemed necessary.

For many years I have read Bob Lutz (Road & Track) tell us that the Chevrolet Volt/Bolt are THE future and that Elon Musk sucks. Meanwhile, here in alleged "Chevy Country" where the GM factory is now sold and in full demolition, we can see 5-10 Teslas a day per 1 Volt.

A plug in diesel hybrid with KERs would yield over 100 MPG and oil and gas can't have that in the U.S.A..Toyota and Honda and VW have eaten the Big 3's lunches for the last 20 years in sedans, and will continue to do so for the next 50 years as GM/Ford leave the segments altogether. Bob can go Lutz himself, diesel wrenches will continue to eat, and Fred's will thrive on.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
I'll believe it when I see it; CNN.money dot com and the Car mags toe the line for the big 3, perpetuating all lies which are deemed necessary.
For many years I have read Bob Lutz (Road & Track) tell us that the Chevrolet Volt/Bolt are THE future and that Elon Musk sucks. Meanwhile, here in alleged "Chevy Country" where the GM factory is now sold and in full demolition, we can see 5-10 Teslas a day per 1 Volt.
A plug in diesel hybrid with KERs would yield over 100 MPG and oil and gas can't have that in the U.S.A..Toyota and Honda and VW have eaten the Big 3's lunches for the last 20 years in sedans, and will continue to do so for the next 50 years as GM/Ford leave the segments altogether. Bob can go Lutz himself, diesel wrenches will continue to eat, and Fred's will thrive on.
CNN is simply reporting on what Porsche said;

"Porsche is not demonizing diesel. It is, and will remain, an important propulsion technology. We as a sports car manufacturer, however, for whom diesel has always played a secondary role, have come to the conclusion that we would like our future to be diesel-free." - Oliver Blume (Porsche CEO)

Perhaps there's anther way to interpret that quote?

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Most people who bash diesels have never driven one. Once you see the power and economy you don't go back to gasser. I'm never going to have an all electric car. Most wouldn't buy one without the crazy subsidies the govt puts on them. Talk about a waste of taxpayer money.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
CNN is simply reporting on what Porsche said;

"Porsche is not demonizing diesel. It is, and will remain, an important propulsion technology. We as a sports car manufacturer, however, for whom diesel has always played a secondary role, have come to the conclusion that we would like our future to be diesel-free." - Oliver Blume (Porsche CEO)

Perhaps there's anther way to interpret that quote?
I remember there being a lot of head scratching when VWAG announced a diesel Porsche, but then we also scratched our heads when Porsche slapped their name on both a 4 door sedan and a couple of SUVs. Not really staying true to their roots!

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
I remember there being a lot of head scratching when VWAG announced a diesel Porsche, but then we also scratched our heads when Porsche slapped their name on both a 4 door sedan and a couple of SUVs. Not really staying true to their roots!
I agree, almost as bad as VW slapping their name on watercooled FWD cars!! Sacrilege!!!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
At least on this side of the pond, that seemed like a more natural progression.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
but then we also scratched our heads when Porsche slapped their name on both a 4 door sedan and a couple of SUVs.
always funny seeing the overpriced t'regs running around

"haha bud, you spent 10k plus on a different wrapper for your candy bar"

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I used to give a co-worker a bad time about his Audi TT being the same platform as my Beetle. Also the co-worker who had a Boxster. When we went to lunch, I'd ask if he wanted to take my VW or his.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
Most people who bash diesels have never driven one. Once you see the power and economy you don't go back to gasser. I'm never going to have an all electric car. Most wouldn't buy one without the crazy subsidies the govt puts on them. Talk about a waste of taxpayer money.
I would love a diesel Tiguan, but it's never going to happen in the US. I've resigned myself to this fact. Doesn't mean I like it.

But I will more than likely by electrified with my next car. I don't know if it will be a full BEV or just a plug-in hybrid, but an electrified car has that same low end power that I loved in my Passat. My daughter just replaced their Routan yesterday with the new Pacifica plug-in hybrid, and that is one sweet rig. The tax credit will just be the icing on the cake, because their monthly gas bill is going to be hugely reduced. Even just running on gas the Pacifica is rated at 32 MPG, and with a charged battery can drive 33 miles in EV mode. Compare that to the 14 MPG the Routan was getting.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
Most people who bash diesels have never driven one. Once you see the power and economy you don't go back to gasser. I'm never going to have an all electric car.

Most People that bash electric cars have never lived with one. Once you see the power and economy (and convenience) you don't go back to gas or diesel. I'm never going to have a petrol car... again.​

Last edited:

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
Most People that bash electric cars have never lived with one. Once you see the power and economy (and convenience) you don't go back to gas or diesel. I'm never going to have a petrol car... again.​
So far, electric isn't economical for me. It would require up-front expense and include keeping my current diesel for long trips and power outages. But my choice can change as the market changes, loss of huge EV subsidies notwithstanding.

I'm sure after expensive repairs to our marginal electric grid and conversion to expensive renewable energy sources the electric rates will approach if not surpass that of "burning your own" fuel. The upcoming taxes on renewables to make up for the lack of funding from the road tax on fuel will also play a factor.

I'm hoping future tech will make this better.

TM

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I used to give a co-worker a bad time about his Audi TT being the same platform as my Beetle. Also the co-worker who had a Boxster. When we went to lunch, I'd ask if he wanted to take my VW or his.
I don't know about the audi, but the boxster is definitely not a vw platform. Unless there are mid engine VWs running around that I'm unaware of.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
PHEVs, the best of both worlds. ;)

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Nobody has stayed true to their roots.
Lamborghini now sells an SUV.
Lots of automakers have strayed far from their roots in hopes to expand market share.
I agree, almost as bad as VW slapping their name on watercooled FWD cars!! Sacrilege!!!
That's a good one!
always funny seeing the overpriced t'regs running around
"haha bud, you spent 10k plus on a different wrapper for your candy bar"
You're referring to Cayennes or Q7s?
When we went to lunch, I'd ask if he wanted to take my VW or his.
I love it!

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Now? Lamborghini made an SUV over 30 years ago. ;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamborghini_LM002
Ahh, yes. That thing. I actually saw one for sale on craigslist about 5 years ago. Pretty cool to see a "Lamborghini" for sale so cheap.

While they did make an SUV ~30 years ago, I consider there to be a significant split (a new era) in Lamborghini's history when Audi/VW bought the company 20 years ago, and actually made Lamborghinis reliable, and pleasant to own and drive. The brand has really taken off since then.

Yeah, that's awful. They should have stayed closer to their roots, like this beautiful 1951 Lamborginetta.
Somewhat hard to do when Lamborghini tractors went under and Mr. Lamborghini had to sell the business off.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That tractor looks better than anything Lambo has made in the last twenty years, imo. It's certainly more practical.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
"Hey baby, wanna come back to my barn and check out my Lamborghini tractor?"
Hmmm. Just doesn't have the same appeal to it.

I'd rather roll around in the hay with a wholesome country girl than the silicon infused type likely attracted by modern Lambos. :D

listerone

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 BMW 540d
I can drive my diesel more than 700 miles on the Interstate (motorway to Europeans) without stopping and when it's empty I can fill it up in about 4 minutes at any one of about 35,000 filling stations nationwide.

You can't do that in an electric.And you'll be lucky to be able to do it 20 years from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.