Egr delete 2006 jetta BRM

Zwelder81

TDI
2006 jetta
I'm new here. Was hoping to get info on the right kit for an egr delete. And witchholes need capped and what hoses that need hooked together. I have a kit but I'm not sure if it the right one. Any input would be greatly appreciated. The egr is hissing at the cooler. And does the molone tune stop the egr without blocking it?

Last edited:

Dmax1989

TDI
2006 Jetta brm
I bought mine off amazon.

Definitely takes time to install. I partially installed mine then finished it a month later (pulled out cooler).

Zwelder81

TDI
2006 jetta
I got a kit off amazon. But it came with a third blank plate. It's a weird shape so I got confused. I had the horse shoe shaped pipe off today but wasn't sure if it was just The 2 holes that need capped. And was also unsure witch 2 of the 3 hoses to connect together. I have tried to find a picture of one that had been done already but can't find one

Zwelder81

TDI
2006 jetta
Yea I got the wrong kit. He is trading me for the right one. The 2 hoses that need to be hooked together are they the ones with the metal slleve. There is another right by them with no sleeve.

tanner

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 BRM 5-Speed, 2013 Golf TDI 6-Speed, 2011 Golf TDI 6-Speed
if you use a race pipe then all you do is remove the egr and asv units and install the racepipe, you will have a hold below the pipe apart of the cooler, you can leave it or remove it.

Then there's a pipe going from cooler to exhaust, hmm idr now. Either way you remove the pipe and block the hole that's not the cooler.

With a race pipe you only need one blank.

Alex22

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Has anybody had issues with the plastic barbed hose for coolant? A friend used one of those on his truck during an engine swap had it get soft and blow off after a short time.

-Alex

1sloVR4

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'm running that plastic elbow. Doesn't seem very stout but for now it should work ok.
Word of caution: Do NOT use the gray plastic elbow that's included with most of the EGR delete kits. It's just a cheap 3/4" plastic plumbing elbow (not even the right size) pulled off the shelf at the hardware store which is not rated for temperatures the cooling system sees. The companies selling this garbage just care about their bottom line and could care less about your safety or car.

I installed the plastic elbow less than a year ago and the damn thing collapsed which caused the hose to work its way loose and puked all of its coolant out on the highway.

Toss the plastic elbow in the garbage and get one in brass or aluminum that is 1" diameter.

Last edited:

borjawil

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta "Diesel"
Not trying to hijack the thread, but i am deleting my EGR as well due to its failure. Made my own block off plates. Have everything disconnected.

Wondering How I remove the erg tube/pipe assembly as its a tight fit between the cat and block. Also wondering if theres any issue with using other material gaskets than metal for the two block offs?

1sloVR4

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Removing the downpipe will get you more room, but in my case it was fused to the rest of the exhaust. I was able to just remove the clamp from the turbo which barely gave me enough clearance. Also, you'll need to remove the turbo oil drain pipe. As for the gasket, you can reuse the metal gaskets or use hi-temp silicone if you're in a bind. I would not use any paper gaskets.

borjawil

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta "Diesel"
Reusing the gaskets is likely what i will do, do you think using a thin coat of high temp rtv on either side would help?

Im assuming the turbo oil drain pipe is the pipe near the coolant lines. Unfortunately the bolts on it to the cooler pipe are are on there good and I don't have a triple square bit to fit. And of course my cat clamp stripped, so ill have to cut it to get it off...I may just leave the cooler mounted at this point and take it off later.

borjawil

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta "Diesel"
Updated: Figured as I learn Ill update to help others out. In order to remove the cooler pipe (anyone know the correct term for this?) behind the block, you need to disconnect the "U" shaped pipe from the cooler piper and turbo? Apparently this is the turbo oil drain pipe, or so I'm told. You will also need to remove the down pipe or cat from the turbo. there is a basic one bolt band clamp. This take an allen wrench 5 or 6mm i believe and can be accessed from the top if you can get your arm between the ASV/EGR valve and fire wall. It can also be reach from underneath. I used a allen tool thats approx 8" and has a 3/8 ratchet base. May need a 3" or 6" ext as well. Cant remember. Highly advise that you spray this with penetrating oil. Mine stripped out on the head so now I have to cut. You can get a replacement clamp for $10-20 online. eBay has them too.

Since the cat is welded to a flex pipe there is some movement allowed to remove the cooler pipe, but its still a pain. Metal gaskets (google brm erg metal gasket) will bring up the replacement gaskets for the block off plates if you make your own or your kit didn't include them. I was told not to use paper gaskets. Seems AZ doesn't have the metal ones. I am going to be reusing my metal gaskets as Im in a bind at the moment and will be coppercoting them.

Getting to the clamps for the 2 coolant hoses is a ***** and your hand will get tired. One I could get off so I cut the line as close to the cooler as possible. Clamp your hoses before hand to save some coolant. Coolant will leak from the cooler. maybe a quart amount. Use a 90 degree METAL 1" elbow to connect the lines. A straight fitting will cause the lines to kink. Don't use the plastic plumbing fittings a lot of block off kits come with. They will melt, deform, deteriorate, and then your SOL. I am going to be using a 90 degree heater hose fitting from AZ $3.99 #47065 comes with two and see how that works. Doesn't have barbed ends, but has orings on either side. They are approx .8"-.95" in diameter so should work fine.

Thats about all I have for now. Feel free to ask questions. Seemed daunting when I was reading on it, but really is quite simple. Ill see if I can't make a DIY write up as I did not see any online that were detailed.

1sloVR4

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Glad you got it figured out. As for the gaskets, I'm pretty sure the OEM ones are made out of stainless steel so as long as the mating surfaces are flat and clean and the metal gaskets aren't damaged, you shouldn't have to worry about replacing them. They are re-useable.

borjawil

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta "Diesel"
Well got everything buttoned up. Couple questions, what vacuum line(s) do I block? Obviously the one for the actuator that moves the flap/valve, but is there another one?

My turbo is spooling up with little gas pedal input. I think I read about a zip tie mod?

heywier427

TDI
85 golf
Remove the large turbo oil drain nut, and loosen the upper oil drain pipe brace nut. You will now be able to push the oil drain tube/pipe towards the firewall, and pull out the cooler.
Oil will spill out of the bottom nut, so be ready.
As far as which vacuum line to cap, simply follow the metal vacuum line up to the top of the engine.
You cap the inner nipple on the n239 valve, or anti shutter valve.

Yes, an egr delete will require a tune to turn off the check engine light.

sasnydley

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
2006 tdi with EGR code and random limp

So just bought this car - for my son. trying to decide if EGR delete is the best option. I don't care about check engine light being on. I am wondering if I do delete / race pipe if car will need a tune or will it run fine as is?

2006 tdi 5 speed 196,000 miles Timing belt at 167,000.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I am also in Florida and pondered the wisdom of an EGR delete. After conferring with Franko6, I concluded that a delete and a tune was not needed, but using a Franko6 modified EGR cooler and avoiding routinely lugging the engine should suffice to keep the engine performance optimized. I really dislike trying to second guess German automotive engineers.

1sloVR4

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
So just bought this car - for my son. trying to decide if EGR delete is the best option. I don't care about check engine light being on. I am wondering if I do delete / race pipe if car will need a tune or will it run fine as is?
2006 tdi 5 speed 196,000 miles Timing belt at 167,000.
The "tune" for an EGR delete is only needed if you want to take care of the Check Engine Light. Probably cheaper to buy a new EGR rather than do an EGR delete + "tune" as there is no noticeable performance gains from an EGR delete.

If you do go the EGR delete route, for the sake of your son's safety, DO NOT use the plastic barbed fittings that's included with many of the kits. I cannot stress this enough. It's a major safety issue and it's not a matter of IF but WHEN it will fail. Spend the extra couple bucks and buy a 1 inch 90 degree brass or aluminum (or stainless steel) barbed fitting.

sasnydley

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Previous owner supposedly did the cooler delete. Swapping EGR difficult?

If you do go the EGR delete route, for the sake of your son's safety, DO NOT use the plastic barbed fittings that's included with many of the kits. I cannot stress this enough. It's a major safety issue and it's not a matter of IF but WHEN it will fail. Spend the extra couple bucks and buy a 1 inch 90 degree brass or aluminum (or stainless steel) barbed fitting.[/QUOTE]

sasnydley

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Previous owner supposedly did EGR cooler delete? The EGR is currently unplugged and vacuum line has screw in it. Should I hook it back up? The previous owner said it would randomly go into limp mode. He said if car was turned off and restarted it would be OK again- Is that how it works? As far as I know it has not gone into limp mode for us. We scrubbed the car inside and Out and it looks amazing lol. Was filthy.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I am also in Florida and pondered the wisdom of an EGR delete. After conferring with Franko6, I concluded that a delete and a tune was not needed, but using a Franko6 modified EGR cooler and avoiding routinely lugging the engine should suffice to keep the engine performance optimized. I really dislike trying to second guess German automotive engineers.
I did Franks "fixed" EGR cooler which included the required gaskets and the cooler coolant hoses which are a good thing to change while you are back there because they do get deteriorated with age.

To get the cooler out I removed the turbo drain line and unbolted the axle from the transaxle. I did not have to unbolt the cat. No check engine light or having to Micky Mouse the coolant hoses. The engine does take a little longer to warm up but once warm, the EGR functions just like it did before.

The best part is that there is now no chance of soot on the back of the engine from the lame design of the factory cooler and no check engine light.

sasnydley

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
So if I do complete egr delete will car run fine? Not worried about check engine light. I just do not want it to keep going into limp mode.

Guessohw

TDI
The other block off plate goes on the intake manifold. There is no "third" block off plate. I'm assuming you bought a kit for the BEW.

Is this the kit that you got? This is for the BEW.

https://www.amazon.com/TDI-AUDI-Val...r=8-4-fkmr0&keywords=2006+jetta+tdi+egr+block
Question, the picture posted above shows either a vacuum line or a hard line that is zip tied with a vacuum On the end of it. What motor is that and what did that go to? I’m assuming wastegate? Sorry I know this is an old thread