What did you do to your MKIV today?

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Lubed up the seat slider lock pins over the weekend (was having issues with the driver's seat not latching after the mechanic had been in it).

In the process, found that the height adjuster helper spring had "self-deleted" itself, so threw it in the little cubby in the trunk with the other one (the passenger one "self-deleted" itself years ago).

Also, discovered the USB-RS232 adapter I use to make my HEX-COM VCDS cable work with my USB-only laptop wasn't working. Have to see if a recent Windows update or driver install has messed up the settings, or if the thing's just dead after about 5 years. Ah well, that goes on the to-do list for after I get my taxes filed...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Loaded wheels and replacement tires for my son's Golf to Kraftwerke into my Golf, since IBW is already up there.

I was surprised at how much room there was, as I don't usually fold the Golf's rear seat. Two tires fit side-by-side behind the back seat. I'm not sure i can do that in my wagon.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Loaded wheels and replacement tires for my son's Golf to Kraftwerke into my Golf, since IBW is already up there.

I was surprised at how much room there was, as I don't usually fold the Golf's rear seat. Two tires fit side-by-side behind the back seat. I'm not sure i can do that in my wagon.
I have to do this today to pick up a bunch of shelving and a worktable for the garage. There is hope!

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
My back seats are always down, and I take the rear bench out so they lie flatter. The rare occasion I need room for another passenger, seat goes up and a folded blanket gives some butt padding. Rear seat belts remain fully functional.
No problem at all carrying a set of 4 tires. The wagon has the advantage of the rear floor being flush with the bottom of
the hatch, but that drop in the Golf means you've gained a fair bit extra volume in a shorter cargo space.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
View media item 140390Oil light came on... Nothing on the dipstick... 😭
Edit: oil was 2 quarts low. Added it and it was fine. Maybe it was the combination of that and that it was starting off up a hill and the oil sloshed back...

Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Replaced my back springs as both were broken On my 01 golf.
Installed rear parking brake helper springs.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Got my car back from the guru today (Thanks Tom!) ..... (just over 400K miles)

Had the following done : Timing Belt job (high mileage kit) , BRM intake manifold installed , SBC Stage 3 Daily (used from RacerxTDI .... probably should have had the flywheel turned but it's in ... The DMF gave up the ghost and was broken) , Larger SMIC with 3 Bar MAP (The $100 model off Ebay .... due to the added thickness of the upgraded intercooler the plastic shroud to funnel air through the intercooler had to be removed to get everything to fit .... I suppose when I get time a custom shroud will have to be made ... temps seemed lower at cruise despite no shroud) , 034 street density Engine and trans mount (I had done the dog bone separately before with the 034 unit also).

Hoping the freer flowing intake / intercooler helps with efficiency and MPGs at cruise .... We'll see ... I'm hoping the next 400 to 500 miles comes fast so I can fill it up and calculate MPGs.

Andrew

Wigstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
Got the Jetta in the prep bay going to start removing the rear end and tank before the floor cut. Installed proflex race bushing on the rear diff carrier. same kind in the trailing arm of the r trailing arm. I did not know the factory bushing were plastic bodied with aluminum sleeves what a treat they were but Positive steps in the 4 motion lifted swap. Got the second coat of mud on the boser hood believe I found the spring I'm gonna use also just need to figure out the shocks. 07 Saturn aura springs look to have the same seats but we shall see. They are longer and are set up close to the same way as it is independent rear suspension on the aura also will keep updated

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Looks nice.

How do you not have an auto-dimming rear view mirror?
I don't have one either. Partially lazy, partially money. That and I hated the auto dimming that my wife's B5 had, but the one in her NMS is pretty awesome.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That's a thing? Actually, I guess my BMW has one. Not particularly notable. Like the auto headlights, which I don't use.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
I don't have one either. Partially lazy, partially money. That and I hated the auto dimming that my wife's B5 had, but the one in her NMS is pretty awesome.
Does the NMS come with the "edgeless" design? Or is it the boxier style?

To me, an auto-dimming rear view is one of those enhancements that actually functions. I get that some folks don't like "auto features" and as much as I like the Audi R8 one I put in my TT, I think the TT needs a rear view camera.

The options are vast depending on what you want, how much you want to do/spend and what "matters" to you. I've got some I can sell, that just require a switched 12v/ground and I also have some parts if you want to Frankenstein your own. Or will answer any question is you want to go parts hunting at your local yard to DIY your own.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Does the NMS come with the "edgeless" design? Or is it the boxier style?

To me, an auto-dimming rear view is one of those enhancements that actually functions. I get that some folks don't like "auto features" and as much as I like the Audi R8 one I put in my TT, I think the TT needs a rear view camera.

The options are vast depending on what you want, how much you want to do/spend and what "matters" to you. I've got some I can sell, that just require a switched 12v/ground and I also have some parts if you want to Frankenstein your own. Or will answer any question is you want to go parts hunting at your local yard to DIY your own.
Kind of boxier one. I like it. If I ever found one in the wrecking yard here I'd probably get one. But our wrecking yards here suck butt. Most garbage.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I dropped the headliner today. Taking the board to get professionally reupholstered tomorrow, because I am not a professional and I wanted that industrial glue not available to the general public. I’m still trying to decide between grey or black. In addition to the stock grey parts, I have all the black GLI grab handles, lights and sun visors but I have grey ABCD pillars. Any thoughts?

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
So the seats, carpets And pillars are grey?

thought of doing a neat pattern with both grey and black in it?

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
So the seats, carpets And pillars are grey?

thought of doing a neat pattern with both grey and black in it?
Seats and carpet are black. From the pillars up, my car is currently pearl grey.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
I was asking, b/c I've put together the newer square Passat mirror on an older "normal button" mount so someone could retrofit it into an MKIV.

I'm 99% sure I've got the stuff to do that again (assuming you haven't retrofitted your MKIV with a rain sensing mount) if you want a DIY project. Just not sure what color bezels these have (black, grey or tan).

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I dropped the headliner today. Taking the board to get professionally reupholstered tomorrow, because I am not a professional and I wanted that industrial glue not available to the general public. I’m still trying to decide between grey or black. In addition to the stock grey parts, I have all the black GLI grab handles, lights and sun visors but I have grey ABCD pillars. Any thoughts?

HI,

I'm wondering if , while you have stuff open , it would be a good time to add some sound deadening ? I wonder how much of a difference just doing the roof would make?

At some point I'm going to have to do mine also since it's drooping.

Personally, I would go gray only because lint shows so easily on black and I think it would make the car "feel" more spacious going with the lighter color .... kinda like rooms in a house feeling bigger when painted in light colors.

FWIW - When I get my headliner redone I'm removing the luggage rack ... I never put stuff on the roof , it'll get better aero , and if riots start again it'll let the Molotov cocktail hit and roll off the roof rather than getting caught up and exploding ... Now THAT'S thinking ahead ! ;-O

Andrew

Last edited:

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
HI,

I'm wondering if , while you have stuff open , it would be a good time to add some sound deadening ? I wonder how much of a difference just doing the roof would make?

At some point I'm going to have to do mine also since it's drooping.

Personally, I would go gray only because lint shows so easily on black and I think it would make the car "feel" more spacious going with the lighter color .... kinda like rooms in a house feeling bigger when painted in light colors.

FWIW - When I get my headliner redone I'm removing the luggage rack ... I never put stuff on the roof , it'll get better aero , and if riots start again it'll let the Molotov cocktail hit and roll off the roof rather than getting caught up and exploding ... Now THAT'S thinking ahead ! ;-O

Andrew
The roof has factory sound deadening already installed but that’s not a bad idea.

Good points about the black headliner showing lint and affecting the perception of the vehicle size. Thanks!

I’m leaning towards a knitted grey fabric that matches the pearl grey pillars. The fabric is still good on the pillars and I’m trying keep the price down.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
... I’m leaning towards a knitted grey fabric that matches the pearl grey pillars. The fabric is still good on the pillars and I’m trying keep the price down.
This is why I procrastinated so long. I wanted to change the color of the headliner, but didn't want to add in recovering 8 pillar covers, the sunroof cover and the other trim parts. The good part is I procrastinated long enough that it's all my Brothers problem now.

I had a spare set-up (headliner and all trims + door gaskets) so it could be done with little down time. I tried to give them away for a while and finally had to toss them as they take up so much space.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
I decided to just go with a knitted fabric that matches the Pearl Grey. He already had the fabric and offered a deal too good to refuse. I would've had to order the fabric if I wanted a black headliner which would add more time and much more cost.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Installed 1.3" dia. led lamps behind the lower outside grills. switchable between fog or driving (amber or white), with toggle to the left of the flasher.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Installed 1.3" dia. led lamps behind the lower outside grills. switchable between fog or driving (amber or white), with toggle to the left of the flasher.
Have you tested them at night? How do they perform? I was thinking about adding LED fog lights in the lower grills, also. What brand of lights did you install? How did you mount the LED lights? Do you have any pics?

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Have you tested them at night? How do they perform? I was thinking about adding LED fog lights in the lower grills, also. What brand of lights did you install? How did you mount the LED lights? Do you have any pics?
Hi sriracha, I just uploaded 3 images to the media-Jetta folder. That's the amber, but with the switch the other side they go to bright white deer lights. These will absolutely blind oncomers if not adjusted just right. I haven't had a chance to use them either to report the pro's and cons.. I plan to take a test ride tonight. I could walk you through the details easily.. maybe via pm.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
My back seats are always down, and I take the rear bench out so they lie flatter. The rare occasion I need room for another passenger, seat goes up and a folded blanket gives some butt padding. Rear seat belts remain fully functional.
No problem at all carrying a set of 4 tires. The wagon has the advantage of the rear floor being flush with the bottom of
the hatch, but that drop in the Golf means you've gained a fair bit extra volume in a shorter cargo space.
YES! I love the low floor in the back of the Golf. I can carry four tires side by each back there and still have room for five passengers. Here are four brand new 195/65R15 GoodYear Nordics I picked up in Fall 2019:

Today I picked up a new set of "three season" tires:

General Evertrek RTX regular $135, got these for $80 each on clearance sale from CanadianTire.ca
The clearance sale was only on the 205/65R15 size so these are 2% oversized (GASP!) They would have probably fit in the trunk but I had just dropped off a load of brush with the trailer anyway so we just flopped them into the bed.

edit: I can also fit grandpa's wheelchair and his walker at the same time in the back of the Golf and still pickup kids from school. Both items fold, obviously.

Last edited:

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I also changed my mouse fur light silver interior for all black, but kept the a-pillars and headliner the stock light silver color. It gives the car a lighter feeling inside as compared to an all black interior.

I haven’t insulated underneath - i also have a sunroof and it just didn’t seem like enough area to justify the effort. Note that at 70 I regularly get 67 decibels and when the wind is calm and the road is quiet, 64db is what I’ve measured. See the soundproofing thread in the Upgrades section.