2000 Jetta TDI won't shut off with key

camper4fun

TDI
200 jetta
Hi I'm having a problem getting my 2000 jetta to shut off without stalling it. I went to work last friday morning the car started fine got to work turned the key off and no way it wouldn't shut off. With the key off and out of the ignition it still ran but some lights were on in the dash ? I tried to locate a relay that would control the vehicle shutting off and only found relay 109 that would actually shut the vehicle off but the dash lights remain lite. I disconnected the battery and reconnected it with the keys out of ignition and I could hear the glow plugs come on then off and when I went back in the vehicle and tried to start it, it did start. If I let it sit for a short while with the battery still hooked up and the key out with the dash lights still lite and then try to start it no way will it start the glow plugs won't even light on the dash but the other lights on the dash stay lite. If I go out and take the battery cable off and put it right back on the car will start but will not shut off. Does anyone know what is happening here I'm really stuck on this one. Thank you for reading my post.

Last edited:

camper4fun

TDI
200 jetta
I unplugged my ignition and the lights stayed on on the dash so I figured it has to be a relay some where but can't seem to locate the right one. Would you know which one it is off hand? Thanks for the help

camper4fun

TDI
200 jetta
Any idea of what relay may be stuck ? I checked mostly all of them and can't find one stuck?

bhutchins

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDiCup, 02Q built Sept 2010
hows your engine oil level

run a compression check. Diesels can run-away, running on engine oil

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Certainly an electrical problem, not mechanical. I have a Bentley, so I'll take a gander.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
I unplugged my ignition and the lights stayed on on the dash so I figured it has to be a relay some where but can't seem to locate the right one. Would you know which one it is off hand? Thanks for the help
So you have the wiring connector for the key switch disconnected, right?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, it looks like you can pull fuse 10 and fuse 29 one at a time to see if that shuts things down. If that doesn't work, pull relay 219 located above the main replay panel

camper4fun

TDI
200 jetta
OK, it looks like you can pull fuse 10 and fuse 29 one at a time to see if that shuts things down. If that doesn't work, pull relay 219 located above the main replay panel
I'll try that and let you know, thank you. Some one had mentioned to me to check the fan control module under the battery as well. Did you ever hear of that causing this problem before. I never tried it but am going to tonight as well wish me luck.

need4speed

Veteran Member
In my experience, a runaway is an uncontrolled, high-RPM situation - engine speeds up until you either STOP it, or it seizes or throws a rod. I doubt this is a runaway condition, and it's probably something weird with the electrical system. You can actually go under the hood and try to operate the ASV butterfly valve by hand, see if the act of choking the intake air will stop the motor. Maybe you've got a coked-up EGT, and the butterfly-valve is blocked so it wont close? But I'd say that this problem would (must) co-exist with some other problem that's allowing the ECU to keep telling the IP to send fuel. I just don't know how you can have the key-out, and the engine running. That's really weird.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
There are wires connecting the Fan control module and the ECU, so I guess it may be possible. You could unhook the fan fuses on top of the battery, possibly easier than unhooking the module. Possibly.

camper4fun

TDI
200 jetta
I tried the fan module under the battery and sure enough it worked, I gave the module a couple taps on the side of it and went back in the car and the lights on my dash went out. I turned the key and the dash lite up right including the glow plugs and the car started and shut off perfectly. I never knew a module like that would cause this to happen, thank you for all your help have a good day.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for following up and stick around. There is stuff going on in PEI and you can stop in and chat with folks, learning more about your car.

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5spd 390k mi
I would think that the immobilizer would shut the engine down once the key was out and far enough away from the steering column.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
I would think that the immobilizer would shut the engine down once the key was out and far enough away from the steering column.
Apparently the fan module is backfeeding the ECU somehow. Which makes me wonder something that can't be talked about online.

cableguynoe

TDI
passat
I tried the fan module under the battery and sure enough it worked, I gave the module a couple taps on the side of it and went back in the car and the lights on my dash went out. I turned the key and the dash lite up right including the glow plugs and the car started and shut off perfectly. I never knew a module like that would cause this to happen, thank you for all your help have a good day.
Hey guys,
I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping you guys are still around.
I'm having the same problem. Does anyone know if the fan module is in the same place in the 2000 Passat as in the 2000 Jetta?
Also, what do you mean under the battery?

And Camper4fun, did you replace it? Or just a few taps as you described in your post?

I'm having the exact same problem so I'm hoping this fan module is also the fix for me.

I KNOOOW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003, 1986 (Sold)
I would like to give this a bump up as I have the same issue happening.

I have warning lights on the dash staying lit with the car off specifically ABS, e-brake.
I also have the AC light on with the car off. only when the AC is in the "off position, when it is in "on" position the light goes off. this pattern reverses when the car is running.

the car remains running and I need to stall it out to get it to stop running.

FYI, a few months ago I had a phantom draw on the AC circuit that I have not fixed yet I just pulled the fuse as it was winter and do not need the AC in Winter.

I thought it could have been the ignition control switch as suggested in another post but that did not fix the issue.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
There was something recently about the ebrake handle causing wacky behavior with the A/C enable light, don't recall how long ago, though.