Smelling the Windshield Washer Fluid

CarolynS

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagon
I have a 2009 TDI Jetta Sportswagen.

Everytime we clean the windshield we have the added benefit of clearing our sinuses! The smell is really strong. I've never experienced this with another car (this is my first vw) Is this normal?

BlueGraphite'10TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI 6Man
On my 2010 Jetta i get the same thing. When you activate the washer fluid you get the smell in the car. IDK! Never had this happen before either.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
When my recycle air is not off, I get it. I have had it on every car I have owned the same way from my 1965 Sumbeam Imp to my 2002 NB TDI. It does change with different brands of washer fluid.

I wonder if your case may be a result of a clogged drain for the area under the grill right in front of the windscreen or a blocked drain to the heater core area?

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Joe_Meehan said:
When my recycle air is not off, I get it. I have had it on every car I have owned the same way from my 1965 Sumbeam Imp to my 2002 NB TDI. It does change with different brands of washer fluid.
+1 I figure it's just the intensity of the fluid odor.

PowerDawg

TDI
09 Jetta TDI Sedan
I like the smell

I spray the windshield just to freshen the air in the car. LOL I am afraid of what will happen when it runs out. I've heard you can't buy the stuff.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
PowerDawg said:
I spray the windshield just to freshen the air in the car. LOL I am afraid of what will happen when it runs out. I've heard you can't buy the stuff.
Sure you can - comes as a concentrate (as far as I know), you just mix with water. Last bottle I got came from World Impex.

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
I have noticed it too every time I use the washer. No clogged drains...totally normal...this "factory" fluid just has a more intense odor to it. If you don't like it, you can easily change washer fluids.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Get it in my 09 also. Been so long now I don't even think about it any more, but when it was new I thought it was odd.

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal
I really like the smell of the factory washer fluid. In fact I want to preserve it. Is the stuff from Impex the same stuff? I might have to try it.

McGyver

TDI
Jetta A5
Early8Q said:
I really like the smell of the factory washer fluid. In fact I want to preserve it. Is the stuff from Impex the same stuff? I might have to try it.
I miss it too. Mine kind of smelled like lemon scented alchohol or after shave. I purchased the VW Audi fluid from a VW dealer and was disapointed that it wasn't the same as the factory stuff, it smelled like amonia.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
You may dilute the existing solution my adding some water. This will "evaporate" the smell and keep your sinuses close.

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
You guys might find it interesting that the car actually closes the fresh air vent when you activate the windshield washers. It does take a second to fully close so you will get a hint of the washer fluid smell in the cabin. The air handler goes back to outside air a second or two after you stop using the washers. The OEM washer fluid is potent stuff and does have a definite odor to it, but it's an odor that I actually think smells good!

Kerosene Burner

TDI
2006 Passat TDI sold, 2009 Jetta TDI sold, 2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium Plus
The stuff gives me a headache. I changed fluids and because the VW dealer automatically fills it every time I go in for service, I have written on the cap "VW DO NOT FILL".

gonesurfing

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI - Sold Back 12/22/16
I've always used the Rain-X bug remover fluid. It is a little strong but it's never been a problem before. However in our 09 it is a little overpowering. I'll probably go with some light duty stuff next fill.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
My 09 JSW is the first car I noticed this smell. I wondered if it had to do with the wiper fluid heating system. I use a variety of fluids, as long as they're rated to -40°, and they smell about the same.

CarolynS

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagon
Thanks for all the answers - I guess it is normal. About to add windshield washer fluid as I'm low so I may try and find something a little less 'potent' as I'm not a huge fan of the smell!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I had the washer low level light come on, filled it up with rainx winter blend, I hope it smelly like the sunny d it looks like

tdi_toad

TDI
2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
screenwash versus kool-aid

Does sniffing the VW screenwash have the same effect as drinking the VW kool-aid?