Highest Mileage TDI

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
B4 Variant with soon to be 272.330 miles. :)

Runs better than when I bought it 'cause of RC3, Mufflerectomy, Konig Minuz wheels, Bilstein HD w/Neuspeed springs...

At 55MPH I should see 55MPG eventhough I live in the mountains of Colorado @ 7.300elev.

Original engine and main factory parts; bought w/broken then replaced tranny off 99.5,f.brake calipers-rotors-pads,Bilstein Hd &Neuspeed sports springs,Konig Minuz 15's,dark tint,syn in tranny,oil filter every 3-5K,glow plug harness(11/06),PVC MOD, and sparkplugs... manana :eek: !

Last edited:

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
I'm just getting scuffed in.... 205K

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I still feel like a newbie with "only" 236k miles on my 02 Golf and 26k miles on my 05 PD JWagen. :D :cool:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
2000 Jetta TDI, purchased at 45k. It now has 195k on it. Overall average is 50.4 mpg with an average cost per mile to drive just over 17 cents (all expenses, including initial cost, taxes, insurance, fuel, maintenance, etc.).

Issues: Broken glove box hinge, gravel got the wind shield, replaced the front pads once and the rear pads twice, replaced the front rotors with turned used ones, replaced two of the four glow plugs, replaced the TB and serp twice, replaced the rollors and water pump once, replaced blown head lights twice, replaced blown brake lights once, "replacing" the alternator pulley, changed the oil/filters regularly, cleaned the intake several times, had front end and rear end alignment, replaced the MAF once ....... I guess that's about it. Love it!

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
My New Beetle at 160K miles (later this week) is the same - drives better than ever. It really LIKES ULSD fuel - less smoke, smoother, etc. I am keeping a watch on the fuel pump for seal leakage. I MAY have to have transmission work before I give up on the car - that's also on the wait and see list.

160K going for 500K (at least :D )

Edit - made the 160000 mile mark yesterday as I pulled up the driveway coming home :D :D :D

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
AndyBees said:
Issues: Broken glove box hinge, gravel got the wind shield, replaced the front pads once and the rear pads twice, replaced the front rotors with turned used ones, replaced two of the four glow plugs, replaced the TB and serp twice, replaced the rollors and water pump once, replaced blown head lights twice, replaced blown brake lights once, "replacing" the alternator pulley, changed the oil/filters regularly, cleaned the intake several times, had front end and rear end alignment, replaced the MAF once ....... I guess that's about it. Love it!
That has to be the most typical service record ever for TDIs. In California the fuel was better, so no intake cleanings. And the warmer climate means no glowplug problems. But otherwise your list describes the usual problems without exception. I'd even go so far as to guess that your alternator problem occurred between 70k and 90k miles. Am I right?

bahiaeternal

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A7 TDI
i wish some high mile autos would chime in, but then again maybe they never made it...im at 115k on my 01 auto. Ive been chipped since day 1, im the original owner.
Issues/work ive had done, driver side wheel bearing, drive side drive shaft, timing belt at 70k, front and rear brakes, glow plugs, maf, tranny flush all at 95k. Its been a great car, im hoping ill make it to 250k.

trip'n-tdi

TDI
99.5 golf gls

all but 8k are mine.
1 oem set of brakes
4th set of tires
1 set koni reds
1 broken timing belt- ouch- 143k
3 timing belts
1 turbo
1 front windshield
1 oem battery
1 oem generator
1 set glow plugs/harness
3 bras
all oil @ 10k/maintenance as required with castrol- vw audi fluids
amaco & conaco fuel with powerservice or stanadyne
orig auto trans untouched
still looks great and hard as hell to keep up with.
looking for a 05 passat tdi/06 jetta tdi don't know which one to get. trading/selling wife's vr6 jetta wagon.
my golf has been a pleasure.
freds and its members has been a great place for info and help and just hang out

primerisgood

TDI
1992 Jetta TD with 1984 Rabbit TD engine, 2nd '92 original engine, '90 Jetta TD GL
my '92 TD's

QUOTE, from older thread

Odometer shot (600,000 kms./372,000mi.) is black '92 Jetta TD in foreground. 2nd owner, bought 10 yrs. ago @ 450,000 kms. Engine transplant last November @ 595,000 kms, now has the heart of an '84 Rabbit TD (211,000 kms. @ transplant). Lost compression one cylinder, probable broken ring. Engine still started and ran reasonably well, though with very smoky/oily exhaust.
Transplant was cheapest option available to me, although ring job probably would have returned original engine to service.
White '92 TD in background has 310,000 kms on original engine, turbo, clutch, etc.[/QUOTE]

Both carefully maintained
And yes, that IS a Toyota behind the Jettas. It's got air!

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
I'm starting to think we should have little trunk or grill badges made to indicate how many miles each car has rolled over...

jonathan2

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 vw tdi jetta
1999 jetta tdi 127k no problems so far.:)
1990 jetta diesel 315k and running good.:cool:
1986 jetta gas 200k and not running so good.:(

Last edited:

N_D_v_22101

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MK4 2001 -REFLEX SILVER and now a MK5 JETTA Platinum Grey NON-TDI Tho.
I just turned 100,000 miles this past Monday! Wooooo, i guess.

I hope to keep her (yes, I am a guy and call my TDI 'her') for another 3 -5 years atleast. If worse comes to worse, I'll HAVE to buy another TDI.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
I used to do about 750 miles a week. Starting about 8 months ago... I only do about 50 a week... Commute got alot shorter. :) I'm at 184,000 highly modded miles.

Donny O.

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDi
oldpoopie said:
I used to do about 750 miles a week. Starting about 8 months ago... I only do about 50 a week... Commute got alot shorter. :) I'm at 184,000 highly modded miles.
something we have in common. I do about 800 a week and more depending on what we do on the weekends. my tdi has lots of miles but I didn't put them on as I jsut got it last week. the stock guages went out and the last record before that was 112K. the new dash has 176k on it. so the car has somewhere around 290K miles on it. now i'm going to add 35K+ a year to that and I guess see how she lasts.

DieselDriver2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle GLS 5spd
I dream of 300K+ miles <sigh>
Lance Allison said:
Just shy of 340,000 miles now.
It's been chipped/modded most of that time.

Extremely reliable with the exception of needing a new clutch around 200k and having to replace the power window regulators on a regular basis. All major components are still original and untouched.

The stock clutch couldn't handle the extra power during our lovely Illinois winter and began slipping. Not too shabby considering about a 50% bump over stock power output.

And the window regulators have been a VW thorn until relatively recently. I have the R&R down to about 15 minutes now including removing the door panel and moving the window motor over to the new regulator assy.

DieselDriver2003

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Yup, I totally agree, but before that, I need to donate some $ to Fred. Make badges like a Japanese flag in the middle and a slash like we shot down a Japanese Zero. This way, we know that each one is 100K? Yes? No?
Nutsnbolts said:
I'm starting to think we should have little trunk or grill badges made to indicate how many miles each car has rolled over...

Donny O.

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDi
Donny O. said:
something we have in common. I do about 800 a week and more depending on what we do on the weekends. my tdi has lots of miles but I didn't put them on as I jsut got it last week. the stock guages went out and the last record before that was 112K. the new dash has 176k on it. so the car has somewhere around 290K miles on it. now i'm going to add 35K+ a year to that and I guess see how she lasts.
I know this will jinx myself but did i mention this still has the factory clutch!!! i think it has to be cuz you can take off so easy....no throttle required....then gas it and go. along with all the highway miles.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
oldpoopie said:
And we're all very happy that you only do 50 miles a week now! :)

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Neous said:
With a stick you don't need to use the fuel pedal to take off from a stop. Just let the clutch out slow and let the computer provide the fuel to keep it from stalling. Once the clutch is out and revs are above 2000, FLOOR IT.

Donny O.

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDi
Neous said:
I was refering to the 'gas' pedal as a generic term....not gas in the tank, cuz yes i know it's not gas-oline.

as bob said it is a stick and it seems like i can push the 'accelerator pedal' about 1/4 inch before it actually does anything so I almost always have the clutch all the way out before i'm actually putting anymore fuel to the engine which is far better than slipping the clutch. then the thing has enough torque that it's not bogging when you do step on the 'skinny pedal'......know what i mean!!:D

Neous

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Audi Q7
i'm still in my Accord state of mind, whereby i must give it some gas to keep from stalling.
i'll definitely try the "clutch only take off" , they did say i'll alter my driving habits! :)

Last edited:

Donny O.

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat TDi
Neous said:
i'm still in my Accord state of mind, whereby i must give it some gas to keep from stalling.
i'll definitely try the "clutch only take off" , they did say i'll alter my driving habits! :)
Maybe it's jsut my accelerator pedal that is odd. i seriously can push it down at least 1/4 inch before it does anything. so even though i think it's giving it some while letting the clutch out i'm not....if that makes any sence.

BTW i have an accord also...problby older than yours was. it's a 90 with 178K on it.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Your go-pedal might need to be adjusted... slight movement on my pedal gets a result.