www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old April 23rd, 2019, 10:05   #3436
BakoTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexNICO View Post
I have the same wheel in my wagon sans bag (non-DD) and have been searching for a single stage bag myself. As I understand there are single stage B6 bags too.

I also have an MKVI w/ bag that Ive been waiting to install that uses a single stage too.

Just not sure if to me, its worth waiting and paying that much for a bag...I was almost home free with the entire wheel except for LKQs policy. Ugh! Plus all the extra buttons...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BakoTDI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2019, 11:41   #3437
tdidieselbobny
Veteran Member

Finally finished the week long part replacement project.The new aftermarket headlight housings use totally different bulbs than the oem ones, needed 9003 headlight bulbs and 7507 signal bulbs. Broke the negative battery hold down bolt. Junkyard trip resulted in getting 2 hold down bolts. Fired up really fast! The new starter really helped. Still had a coolant drip yesterday, but today I didn't see any leaks. I need to get the skidplate back on then I'll be done. Probably clean back of engine with some simple green and water. I need to order some more silicone vacuum line so I can finish what I didn't replace.
97 Passat TDI-420,688 miles,totalled by 86yr.old lady-gone,but not forgotten-'15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen w/DSG, 34k miles....'16 Kubota BX1870 MMM/FEL, 188hrs!And now an '03 Jetta TDI 5spd w/ 431k,RC2,Sprint 520's,Dieselgeek short shifter and oil bypass, and a few other goodies....
tdidieselbobny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2019, 11:52   #3438
hitman1985

Quote:
I have the same wheel in my wagon sans bag (non-DD) and have been searching for a single stage bag myself. As I understand there are single stage B6 bags too.

I also have an MKVI w/ bag that Ive been waiting to install that uses a single stage too.

Both are multi-function, but I have no intention of wiring up the multi-function, as my car did not originally have a MFSW.

Such a different feel in your hands.
Those single stage bags are usually below 80 on eBay or my local jy sells the bags for 52 plus tax I've got several wheels and several control modules but have dual stage bags for most of them as my 07 rabbit is dual based and single conversion resulted in loss of cruise control lol... Still working on that issue. For now the mk4 is getting a manual swap; fmic kit; brm intake with egr delete and then maybe I'll get around to the coilovers I have laying in the parts bin since 6+ months haha

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
hitman1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2019, 12:32   #3439
Nero Morg
Veteran Member

Awesome I'm not the only one running the BRM intake.

Finally wired my fog lights up. Wanna hear a joke? Fog lights with HIDs.
And then the wife's 2014 Passat TDI SEL all stock
Nero Morg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2019, 12:50   #3440
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoRed View Post
I replaced the antennae base again, because FM reception was at about 50% and AM reception at 10-20%.
How did you arrive at those values? Something down in the diag functions in the radio, or empirical based on "how soon you lose signal on a station of known location"?
Old April 23rd, 2019, 15:11   #3441
TwinTurboKen

ordered glow plugs for it.

plugged my laptop into the car (VAG-COM) and found out it already had the flash for 7v glow plugs, but it had 5v glow plugs in the motor. ordered the 7v plugs. hopefully they'll arrive tomorrow so I can put them in and get the car out of the shop.

After lots of PB blaster with time to soak and liberal re-application of it, +pheumatic hammer tool and handwrench, and then some gentle in and out with a ratchet...I managed to get that stuck glow plug out without breaking it! Right now just got the plugs sitting in the holes by about 1 thread just to keep insects/rodents out of the motor until the parts show up. Then they're getting some anti-seize and torqued down properly with a torque wrench.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 15:30   #3442
Rrusse11
Veteran Member

"After lots of PB blaster with time to soak and liberal re-application of it, +pheumatic hammer tool and handwrench, and then some gentle in and out with a ratchet...I managed to get that stuck glow plug out without breaking it!"

Well done sir!
RC Stage 4: 11mm pump, 17/22, .230 nozzles, 3barMAP,EGR Delete, PD150Intake,2.5" Exhaust: Koni Sp Reds, Wagon Springs, ~1"/2"lift:VR6 fr swaybar, Top strut & rear tie bar: 215/55ZR16 GMax AS05's, 10mm/20mm spacers, 35# @: skid plate: 02J, SBC2 End, .717 5th, Peloquin LSD, Fluidampr: TT Short Shifter: : VR6 fr, TT rr Brks
Rrusse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2019, 16:30   #3443
Hyde7278
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Golf GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Morg View Post
This guy with his jokes, bet you're still using the same tank from when you filled it lol

No I have plenty of work that needs to be done to the car but no time to do it.
Have to redo the suspension, swap the brakes from a 20AE GTI, swap the interior, and fix the exhaust.
Old April 23rd, 2019, 19:41   #3444
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mayercik View Post
How did you arrive at those values? Something down in the diag functions in the radio, or empirical based on "how soon you lose signal on a station of known location"?
Just a SWAG. I know there are diagnostic tools in the Monsoon radio, but I didn't bother with those.
'03 Golf with 761k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat fuel filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Pirelli Cinturatos, TDT or Delvac1
Like TDI Club? Got PayPal? Got $1 or $5 or $10? Contribution link on the main page.
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2019, 02:57   #3445
Gluckmysock
Veteran Member

Quote:
Both are multi-function, but I have no intention of wiring up the multi-function, as my car did not originally have a MFSW.
Such a different feel in your hands.

I tried putting a MFSW in my 02 which didn't come originally with one. How do you program the functions to work? Thanks, I have VCDS.
Old April 24th, 2019, 09:04   #3446
Nero Morg
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluckmysock View Post
I tried putting a MFSW in my 02 which didn't come originally with one. How do you program the functions to work? Thanks, I have VCDS.
If you installed a MKIV steering wheel, you need to wire it up to make it work. Kind of a lengthy process, but worth it in my opinion if you're handy with wiring. Here's a good starting point.
And then the wife's 2014 Passat TDI SEL all stock
Nero Morg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2019, 09:20   #3447
Blacktree
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44-45 mpg (mostly city)

Yesterday I put some new tires on the Jetta... Continental ExtremeContact, 225/45-R17 on the front and 205/50-R17 on the back. These tires have kung fu grip!
Blacktree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2019, 10:48   #3448
kidflyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktree View Post
These tires have kung fu grip!
This gave me a good chuckle, thanks Blacktree
kidflyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2019, 17:53   #3449
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

A few months ago my CD player in my 4-dr refused to play CDs anymore, claiming there was a 'CD ERROR' on the pristine spotless CD. It quit listening to radio stations a long time ago, but that was never a big deal as the selection up here is thin anyway. But I had it, so I ordered a relatively inexpensive one from crutchfield, as well as a slightly better one for my wife's NB as she always wanted one with bluetooth so she could play stuff from her smart phone.

They came in yesterday, and the biggest installation problem (I only did the head units) was getting the NB OEM unit out of the dash. Darned keys worked perfect out of the dash, but for some reason while it was installed, the keys just wouldn't lock up to pull it out.

Anyway, the included adapter plug worked great - they have even figured out that the K-line shouldn't be hooked up.

Took about 2 hours total to assemble both adapters and install. We both have tunes again. Yay!!

Cheers,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2019, 21:10   #3450
gmenounos

Got back from a 5-day trip and fired up the wagon only to find that it now has an erratic idle. A scan shows a "Quantity Adjuster Upper limit reached" DTC. Car was running fine right before I left town. It's almost like it got mad that I left.