need help with turbo warranty issue on VNT17

VAG-Aficionado

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS (x2)2002 Jetta Wagon 2005 Passat Wagon
So my VNT17 (bought from a reputable vendor) ate the inducer. When I installed it 6k miles ago i did all the prescribe methods of installation:

* flushed my entire intercooler and piping
* changed the oil, filter, and air filter
* cleaned the turbo intake pipe
* 20k miles ago when i was doing a 5spd swap I flushed the oil cooler and oil feed line. Flushed the EGR cooler, cleaned the intake manifold, and cleaned EGR.
* I flushed the return line and fitting that goes into the block.
* I primed the turbo with oil manually and also with the bump start method with the Injection pump unplugged

I did notice some axial play before I installed the turbo, but felt it was ok since it was new and it wasn't coming into contact with the housing (i just rebuilt my 7.3 turbo w/400k miles that had similar).
I'm only running 18lbs boost and 5mg IQ, so I am not over-fueling or over-boosting. My catalytic converter was clean, so there is no back pressure issues.

So the circumstancing leading up to the turbo eating itself, was that I was cruising on the highway around 65. I was hearing a high pitched tinny noise under slight load, which worried me a little. I drove around 100 miles like this. Then the next morning I was driving to my shop to go inspect, when the turbo made the tell tale sign of worn/broken fins (i whirring/fluttering air noise). I was praying for a boost leak, none to be found, and when I opened it up I found this:

https://imgur.com/LkMoWMI

you can see there is a consistent wear mark in the housing, but there is also some debris marks (which I believe is from the turbine blades that sheared off the next morning)

The retailer said that its obvious that the damage was caused by a foreign object and to not waste my time or money as my warranty will be rejected. They were somewhat hostile when I tried to explain the circumstances and that their was noise of the the turbine hitting the housing and then the next day there was a failure in one or more of the fins (i suspect a heat/cold cycle made the metal brittle and when it came in contact with the housing it broke). You can see there isnt much damage to the housing besides the turbine contact and what appears to be minor pitting....I will know more when I get the turbo off an inspect (it could just be flake from the turbine and no pitting).

I want to get some second opinions and what other people have experienced dealing with warranty (what I have read is not promising)...and if it was foreign damage how could this even happen with an entirely clean and clear intake path (not even a spec of dust post filter). Wouldn't a foreign object cause issues before 6k miles?

Last edited:

VAG-Aficionado

Veteran Member
TDI
Just wanted to add that the vendor is offering a discounted replacement, which will be refunded if warranty is deemed valid. This is nice of them to offer as a service.

Last edited:

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
I wish I had an answer, but just to clarify
20k miles ago when i was doing a 5spd swap I flushed the oil cooler and oil feed line.
Does that mean you didn't install a brand new turbo feed line with the new turbo (6k miles ago)?
Old ones can remain gummy, feeding poorly.
Also, not an expert here, but if it was a foreign object, why is the wear so even, and where is the object?
Another thought is a vendor here in my town told me Garrett farms out mfg. to China nowadays. What does your mfg. plate say out of curiosity?
The new Borg-Warner I just got was made in Korea!

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I'd like to know how anything but a foreign object could damage it that close to the hub.

VAG-Aficionado

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd like to know how anything but a foreign object could damage it that close to the hub.
Since i heard what was essentially wass the turbine rubbing against the housing and the next day i got the sound coming from the turbo of a broken turbine , my guess is a blade eventually sheared of and became the foreign object. My 7.3 Powerstroke turbo bearing finally wore out after 400k miles. It also chipped of the fins but not as severe.

VAG-Aficionado

Veteran Member
TDI
I wish I had an answer, but just to clarify
20k miles ago when i was doing a 5spd swap I flushed the oil cooler and oil feed line.
Does that mean you didn't install a brand new turbo feed line with the new turbo (6k miles ago)?
Old ones can remain gummy, feeding poorly.
Also, not an expert here, but if it was a foreign object, why is the wear so even, and where is the object?
Another thought is a vendor here in my town told me Garrett farms out mfg. to China nowadays. What does your mfg. plate say out of curiosity?
The new Borg-Warner I just got was made in Korea!
I'll check the plate when i pull it (it was a glued on plate). I thoroughly flushed the oil feed line so i cant imagine that it would build up gunk after 6k miles when it had been on the car for almost 200k. I usually do preventive cleaning when it's easier to get too, like cleaning the egr cooler when swaping a turbo.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Don’t forget the shaft rides on an oil film That isn’t present at the moment taking up some of that movement.

VAG-Aficionado

Veteran Member
TDI
Don’t forget the shaft rides on an oil film That isn’t present at the moment taking up some of that movement.

that's what i was thinking. so if the pressures aren't correct then there could be issues of the blade coming into contact with the housing. I didn't know what the tolerances were for this turbo. My 7.3 Powerstroke GT38 had some play when i rebuilt it but i don't believe the blade was getting that close to the housing. This was my only concern, is the slightest bearing wear could cause the blade to hit.

Last edited:

VAG-Aficionado

Veteran Member
TDI
UPDATE:

Finally got around to pulling my turbo. Just a bit of oil came out of the inter-cooler and piping. It looks like the bearing is fine and has normal shaft play. I still want to believe the compressor wheel hit the housing during a boost spike, and that was the foreign object . I'm going to guess that Garrett wont warranty the turbo, so my next step is figuring out rebuild options. I already got a replacement for this car, but I have another project wagon I am working on.

Does anyone know of any reputable stateside turbo rebuilders?

Is their somewhere I can get a quality CHRA, or even a billet wheel (as you see in some of the diesel truck aftermarket)?

Does Kerma rebuild a super low mileage core for their new VNT17 Plus?

I don't want this turning into a paperweight.