2015 vs 2011 clutch delay valve (dampening?)

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
Hi,

I read in other places about the CDV, or clutch dampening valve on the Mk7 golfs (at least)... and what I am wondering, is if anyone knows for certain if the Mk6 had the exact same valve or is it a new addition on the Mk7?

I had an Mk6 before and don't believe I felt as much, if any, clutch delay which it seems I feel on the Mk7.

I notice it especially when pushing the clutch down there is a brief delay where if you try and move the shifter out of the current gear too quickly, it is stuck for maybe a fraction of a second or so.

What I don't remember for certain, is if I noticed this on the Mk6 or not, or if it's just because I've been reading about it.

https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/man...mk7-golf/mk7-golf-clutch-delay-valve-removal/

So, does anyone know if this was a change from Mk6 to Mk7 or am I just imagining it?

Thanks!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Your link does indicate that a 2015 Mk7 has a CDV valve. I would certainly remove it.

Bleeding can be more easily done by putting a hose on the bleeder and putting the other end into the reservoir. Make sure you keep the reservoir mostly full and the hose end submerged in fluid while bleeding.

dataiv

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
Thanks for the answer, and yes, it does have it. What I am hoping someone could answer is if the Mk6 had a CDV as well. I had that car but not any more and have no idea. I also had a 1999.5 Jetta TDI and imagine it didn't have one.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I can't answer whether the MK6 had one or not, but I can tell you that the version that is installed on the MK7 TDI is not removable. You could drill it larger I suppose, but I just ordered the speed bleed block from ECS and was very happy with the purchase. IMO, any spirited driving with the stock bleeder could lead to excessive clutch disc wear as it may be subjected to extended engagement time.

Here's a picture of the valve, you can see the tiny hole that delays the fluid movement.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
So the CDV is different on the TDI than the GTI? odd.