Smaller oil pan

ChuckMason

TDI
Jetta wagon, '03, silver, auto

Is it detrimental to the health of my motor to run an oil pan that holds about 1/2 liter less oil?
I am about to replace the stock pan w/ a steel-bottom oil pan from idParts. (https://www.idparts.com/steel-bottom-oil-pan-a4-pr-1746.html)
On some forum it is claimed that this pan holds 1/2 liter less oil. That would be 4 liters, instead of 4.5 liters (w/ oil filter).
Of course, my dipstick is the same. Assuming that it just hangs free in the current oil pan, then in the new oil pan it would reach the 'filled' mark 1/2 liter sooner. I suppose I could add some extra oil, but that might raise oil into areas where the motor wants free air in order to spin, not a bath to get super-churned. I believe that is what is called 'overfilled'.
So, will the oil temperature always be higher (currently, it never budges from 190)? Will less oil get more dirty? And will the oil be generally taxed more, requiring more frequent changes?
'03 Jetta Wagon; 140,000; Pento Sin 5W-40 every 12 months; Los Angeles mild (usually) weather.
Thank you.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I don't think 1/2 L. will have any 'impact' on your engine's health.
An actual skidplate will protect the pan a lot better, if that's what you're trying to do.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Only thing I would imaging is it would shorten oil change intervals by a little, since there's less oil, less cleaning packages.

ChuckMason

TDI
Jetta wagon, '03, silver, auto
I don't think 1/2 L. will have any 'impact' on your engine's health.
An actual skidplate will protect the pan a lot better, if that's what you're trying to do.
I have the idParts aluminum under-engine apron, but it was little help against the 1' wide ditch across the highway in Baja Mexico. At about 60 mph. God bless Mexican mechanics and JBWeld!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Hockey puck mod, ftw. Weld on some beefy metal to the pan.