How much would you pay?

bigtom111

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 97 Passat, 03 Jetta
New development - thrown rod - How much would you pay?

My Dad, who lives on the gulf coast, Has a 2003 Jetta TDI that he bought new. It only has around 50,000 miles but the rear shock towers rusted out a couple of years ago and it sat down on the back wheels. It's just been sitting on his property ever since. It will start and move around but you can drive it on the road. In fact, he had to move it up to the high ground before the hurricane last year because the area ended up under 10 feet of water. Anyway, I'm down here visiting and I saw it sitting there with the window open. I asked him how much he wanted for it because I'm interested in the drive train. He asked me how much I'd give for it. My first thought is $1000. I'll have to haul it back to Kentucky but I have a truck and trailer. I was just wondering if anyone else has an opinion on what it would be worth.

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
You can get an entire drive train from a wrecking yard for about $500-600 depending on accessories. Regardless of miles. If he's not hurting to move it then he's apparently going to ask too much for it. I'd shop around.

bigtom111

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, my need has gone from "it would be nice to have for a spare" to "got to have it immediately". I was driving home from Florida yesterday when my 2003 threw a rod about 50 miles from home. Nice big hole in the crankcase just below the injection pump.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Oh boy any idea what caused the failure? Think you're going to swap in a replacement engine?

bigtom111

Veteran Member
TDI
If I had to guess I'd say it was an overboost problem I had a couple of months ago. The turbo vanes stuck and I got on it pretty hard and saw that the boost gauge was pegged at over 35 psi. I drove it gingerly until I got the turbo cleaned but it may have bent a rod. It has been starting and running great since then but if a rod was bent the extra stress on it could have led to a failure. Or it might have been a bearing cap bolt that failed. The big end of the rod is not on the crank. You can look in the hole and see the crank journal. It was still running after the bang without any huge knocking or vibration. I was able to drive it accross 3 lanes and into the emergency lane and then shut off the engine with the key. It appeared to have ejected the rod through the hole.

I may not do a complete engine swap. Frank06 just rebuilt my head and put a stage 2 cam in it. I have a good block on hand, a new oil pump, and a good used crankshaft. If the head was not damaged, I might build a performance short block. I think I'll talk to Frank about shipping him my parts and having him build a short block with H beam rods and new pistons.

Last edited: