Main bearing leak

Boston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 beetle
OK so my main bearings have both started leaking

240,000 miles in

I'm a tad disapointed.

Not sure but I think I'll just run it till it dies and call it even.

A tad disapointed in VW at this point.

I paid 4K for the vehicle, dropped 1200 on front wheel bearings not more than a month ago

bought it with 160K or so on it

and now its singin its death song.

Not sure I'd buy another

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Do you mean the front and rear mainshaft crank seals? Seriously 240k and you are gonna complain? Youll grind a car into the ground just because a seal is leaking?

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Do you mean the front and rear mainshaft crank seals? Seriously 240k and you are gonna complain? Youll grind a car into the ground just because a seal is leaking?

Boston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 beetle
I've driven a lot of vehicles long past 300,000 without a main bearing leaking.

And no, I'm not going to spend the cash to repair it. I'll just keep adding oil.

The bearings are likely still good and as long as the mains are lubricated they'll likely last a while. Leakig or not.

'

Boston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 beetle
I've driven a lot of vehicles long past 300,000 without a main bearing leaking.

And no, I'm not going to spend the cash to repair it. I'll just keep adding oil.

The bearings are likely still good and as long as the mains are lubricated they'll likely last a while. Leakig or not.

'

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I'd be disappointed to if I dropped $1200 on $100 worth of bearings. If thats all that was done you got hosed.

A leaking main is not a death song. Far from it, if you don't like the car or don't want to take care of it sell it.

As long as its not an automatic, I assume it's the 01 beetle in your signature, you shouldn't have much problem recovering some of your money. You have put nearly 100k miles on it.

I see cars like that going for around $1500-2000 all the time.

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
What the heck are you guys even talking about with this leaking main bearing thing?
Sounds like a diagnosid Ricky would make on Trailer Park Boys.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Run and coke makes for good diagnostic skills
I'd say that Ricky would perform diagnosis by "denial and error"...:D

http://trailerpark.wikia.com/wiki/Rickyisms

I haven't watched the show in years, but I still remember some Rickyisms. I saw him at Home Depot about 5 years ago, and I've seen Lahey (John Dunsworth) at Tim Hortons a few times.

As for the front and rear main seals. I certainly wouldn't be throwing a car away because of them. Not a small or easy job I understand, but it's hard to blame a 15 year old car with for parts wearing out...

Boston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 beetle
Yeah, its got a few things I've been holding off on and I'm just not sure I want to put the money into it.

Oh and the bearings. I picked up the parts and opened it up but after watching a few of the tutorials I just brought it over to a buddies shop. He brawled with that thing all day. I got it in there about 8 am and he didn't have the alignment done till about 7 PM. Oh and the parts place sold me the wrong bearings for it, classic. I'm not sure what front end bearings should cost to replace, but I'm sure glad I didn't bother doing it myself.

Anyway, it leaks like a sieve,

Boston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 beetle
OK so 310K in and something went ping and the engine died.

The timing belt is still intact
the engine turns over
No fire
There's no smell of fuel in either the oil or the exhaust so I suspect it's the fuel pump. Whatever it was it happened instantly while I was slowing down for a light.

Any ideas

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Electrical. Check codes.
Double check belt. Have someone watch that harmonic balancer and cam pulley turn. You could have skipped or sheared teeth off the belt and still have the belt intact and tensioned

Boston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 beetle
Yeah, I had someone watch and it's turning. So the belt is intact

haven't checked electrical yet but it seemed mechanical.

INSW20

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6MT
Yeah, its got a few things I've been holding off on and I'm just not sure I want to put the money into it.

Oh and the bearings. I picked up the parts and opened it up but after watching a few of the tutorials I just brought it over to a buddies shop. He brawled with that thing all day. I got it in there about 8 am and he didn't have the alignment done till about 7 PM. Oh and the parts place sold me the wrong bearings for it, classic. I'm not sure what front end bearings should cost to replace, but I'm sure glad I didn't bother doing it myself.

Anyway, it leaks like a sieve,
so this shop doesn't believe in flat-rate? as in, charging "book time" for a repair instead of "actual time"?

also, unless things are very different from almost any wheel bearing i've done (including mk6 golf), an alignment isn't necessary after replacing bearings.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I agree, no need for a front-end alignment after installing wheel bearings.

An Internet search can put you in the ball park (even on home plate) with the cost of wheel bearings.

Practically every on-line auto parts vendor use the standard OE part number. So, going to various on-line venders allows you to compare prices, brands, etc. It's really a no brainer to find parts and prices for your vehicle.

Making a wild guess, two hours per wheel would seem reasonable for wheel bearing R&R.

Boston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 beetle
No but I don't smell any fuel in either the oil or the exhaust. So I think it's the fuel pump. Maybe.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I'm sort of lost as to how a Main Bearing leaks? IIRC, the crankshaft has 5 main bearings. It also has two Crankshaft Seals ... one on each end of the engine.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
well seeing as it had both the front and rear seals leaking, Timing belt is subject, put marks on TDC and take off TB cover and inspect.