2015 Passat TDI sudden loss of power (engine control malfunction)

EoinMag

TDI
2016 Passat GT 190PS
Got my loaner. It’s a 2018 passat SE. I haven’t driven it much less, but it feels snappier than my wife’s old 2017 Passat SE that we had. I actually am kind of liking it. I tried finding the option to look at the mpg’s and I can’t find anything. It’s miles to empty, mph, and a few other things, but no mpg trip meter. :confused:

MPG is on the first screen when you go to car menu from what I remember.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Unless I missed it upstream, are you being billed for all this carnage, or is VW covering it under the "dieselgate" extended warranty?

Everything is being covered by VWoA. I looked at the paperwork when I sign for them and see the charges on the bill, which is what I assume VWoA is paying the dealer.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Everything is being covered by VWoA. I looked at the paperwork when I sign for them and see the charges on the bill, which is what I assume VWoA is paying the dealer.
Good to hear. Supposedly unless it's a clear case of misuse, the settlement states that VW will step up to the plate and fix most all engine/emissions issues.
I've been very satisfied with the way VW has handled this fiasco. My '15 Passat is running fine after P2.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
After the latest fix (04-06-2019) the car still isn't fixed! Same fault coming up. So almost 4 weeks now my car has been at the dealer.

Last edited:

c3kTDi

TDI
2015 Passat
It seems like they should pull out the entire power unit (engine, harnesses, control units, etc.), and give you a rebuilt/crated unit. Or, they need to put you in a new TDi.

The complexity of modern engines does not create unsolvable issues...but the solutions are limited by time and cost. After a month of troubleshooting and replacement work, with the problem still present, it is obvious that this one is beyond their troubleshooting capabilities.

Or, just keep driving the loaner and try to talk them into an extended warranty on the vehicle they've been working on. Something that'll take you well beyond the Dieselgate warranty.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I love VW TDI’s, but this car is a waste of money for VWOA, IMO. I mean, how much money are they going to keep dumping into this car before they realize it’s cheaper to make it go away? A new crate engine and the installation must be a fortune, but that would be nice to have.

I honestly prefer a buy back or new TDI. I think that would be the cheaper option long term.

Whether I keep this car or not, I’d still buy another TDI after this one. I just haven’t found another car that can give me great mpg’s, while enjoying driving it.

c3kTDi

TDI
2015 Passat
New crate engine is not that expensive...for the manufacturer.

The install is pretty straightforward and would take far fewer hours than they've spent troubleshooting and attempting piecemeal (guess) fixes.

I'd ask for that...or a new vehicle.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
04/17/2019 update

Not any real update other than they still don’t know what is wrong with it. I’m trying to get VWoA to buy it back. I don’t trust the car at this point.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Wow..... unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Supposedly it was a wire going to one of those DPF sensors, so when the replaced some wiring the second time, they apparently didn't go far enough.

Got the car back today and made it home without any issues. I will not celebrate until about a week of having the car, because I've had it before after they fixed it and issues popped back up.

I really hope my car is fixed, because driving this everyday is a pleasure compared to all the gassers I've driven since my vehicle has been down.

KJNDIVER

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Your last post was a few months ago? How is the car now? Is it fixed? Still doing it? Was it covered under warranty?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Glad to hear that! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk