Automatic AND Manual Transmission ?

Feather

TDI
2004 jetta wagon
Hi I am the proud new owner of 2004 jetta wagon. I noticed after purchase that it is both automatic and manual . The car did not come with a ownners manual and I never heard of this festure.

Can anyone tell me about it ? Is it actually manual and will I get the manual MPG if I learn to use it ?

Thanks

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
What did you notice that makes you think that? I thought 2004 had the 09A auto.
No clutch? Then it's not a manual, though the DSG has some characteristics of one.
The computer 'clutches' the trans according to a program that you can override by
moving the gear selector but that doesn't make it a manual.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Hi I am the proud new owner of 2004 jetta wagon. I noticed after purchase that it is both automatic and manual . The car did not come with a ownners manual and I never heard of this festure.
Can anyone tell me about it ? Is it actually manual and will I get the manual MPG if I learn to use it ?
Thanks
You have the 09a tiptonic automatic transmission. Leave it in D and just drive.

It would be in your best interest to do a few drain and refills on the auto trans fluid, I prefer Idemitsu Type J ATF fluid.

Feather

TDI
2004 jetta wagon
Well the shifting area has a place to the right with a plus and minus marking. When I asked the seller what it was he said that it is for manual . My husband tried it and it did switch into gears like a manual would.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
Original poster doesn't have a DSG.

The "gate" on the side of the shifter is a feature of some transmissions that Vw calls "tiptronic". Tiptronic feature is just for driver interaction. In other words its something for you to play with if you want to have fun. Generally you would just drop it in drive and go, but if you were "canyon racing" or maybe riding the "tail of the dragon" you might want to throw it in tip mode and have a little more control over what the trans does.

Your transmission is named 09A by Vw and is produced by Jatco (Japanese Auto Trans COmpany). Jatco calls the trans JF506E and it is also used in some mazda Mpv's and some Land Rovers. This transmission is a 5 speed auto, whereas most Vw auto's before this were 4 speed and 3 speed autos.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Many (most) automatic transmissions nowadays have a manual mode, like Tiptronic (which was coined by Porsche originally, FWIW). It isn't anything special, I am surprised you've never seen this before. Shoot, a 20 year old rental Dodge Stratus turd had it, LOL. :eek:

Shoot, even some Nissans with CVTs have it! Which makes no sense.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
My significant other's Toyota Corolla S has the steering wheel paddle
shifters for its 8spd CVT tranny. Nice!

But I'm still a dyed in the wool clutch pusher.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, I'll bite. Knowing nothing about autos, I believe her tranny is
CTV, constant velocity transmission? But in "manual" mode up comes
a series of gear #s, 1-8.

What's so funny?

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216

What's so funny?
They really aren't gears. The CVT is a giant belt/pulley system. The "gear" is just the computer mimicking the effect by holding the torque/rpm within certain limits

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta

What's so funny?

It's either a CVT or a conventional automatic. It won't be a CVT with 8 speeds/gears.
The parents Mercury Montego AWD is a CVT system. I'm not fond of it, but it's been untouched maintainence wise and still functioning. Believe Ford inherited that from their stint with Volvo.

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
Because it's just a silly idea. CVT's are not supposed to have "gears" and programming them to hold in a predetermined ratio basically defeats the whole purpose and advantages to a CVT. Plus they dont even come close to the feel of a true DCT.

oilhammer

TDI
It's either a CVT or a conventional automatic. It won't be a CVT with 8 speeds/gears.
The parents Mercury Montego AWD is a CVT system. I'm not fond of it, but it's been untouched maintainence wise and still functioning. Believe Ford inherited that from their stint with Volvo.

That CVT is from ZF, and they have a very high failure rate. And because good used ones are impossible to find, and new ones are about $4500 and about 11 hr labor to R&R, when they die, they total the car.

They only used them in the AWD Five Hundred/Montego/Freestyle, the FWD versions used the Aisin 6sp automatic (the same one GM used in many transverse FWD applications) which is probably what led them to the joint venture 6sp transverse unit they went to.

I think the biggest issue with those beyond their fragile nature is how gutless they make the car feel. The car is big, heavy, and the Cyclone 3.0L V6 is not the most powerful. Add in the drag of AWD, and they are pretty lethargic compared to other similar models. Volvo never used that powertrain, they stuck with the Aisin slushbox and used their own turbocharged I5 or I6 engines, which run much, much better.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
I always hated CVTs for their incessant drone. Yes, it does keep the engine at an optimal rpm, but it just sounds like crap.

About 10 year ago I rented an Altima in California on vacation with it. It did have the "manual" mode. I believe it was a 6 speed, at the time. It made driving it much more enjoyable. It did perform reasonably well and got good mileage.

Recently I have rented Rogues with it. They've gotten very clever. The CVT mimics a geared trans. In fact, if you floor it, it steps through the gear but also gradually lowers the ratio in each gear which gives the impression that you are accelerating faster than you are!!!

It seems as though CVTs are the way of the future, for low powered vehicles anyway. They have pretty much figured out the efficiency problems and have ridiculously high final drive ratios, so they have impressive mpg numbers. And they work well with hybrid systems.

Still not ready to give up my clutch pedal, though.

oilhammer

TDI
Some are more tolerable than others. The new Corolla is AWFUL with one. Just completely ruins the car. Hondas are not too bad, but the newer ones are fragile... I just did one on a 2014 Civic. $6500 from Honda. We put a used one in... still a 9 hr job. And it did not even make it 100k miles.

The few that Audi sold here in FWD A4s and A6s perform OK, but they were so problematic there was a lawsuit and a warranty extension for them.

Nissans are junk. Now they are merely less junky, but still a high failure rate. The early Versas were pretty much a 100% failure rate. We serviced a fleet of those turds for a security company.

The worst one, by far, is the little Mitsubishi Mirage. Seriously, I cannot recall a worse car than that, and 90% of it is because of the CVT. The ChryCo ones are pretty abysmal, too. Caliber, Compass, Patriot. Those tie for second place worst beside the Subaru CVTs for bad driveability.

Toyota's hybrids are fine, but they work completely differently. They are not a chain/cone type, but a planetary type that works in conjunction with the motor/generator. Essentially a Ford Model T transmission, only instead of a leather belt and drum, a disc with magnets. :)

The general durability, or lack thereof, in most CVTs, is why they are still staying away from them in higher load applications. Instead going for ever increasing numbers of available fixed ratios, with some pretty clever shift mapping to make them work well. 10 speeds are out now, with even higher numbers planned. But these do not use all the ratios all the time, only under certain conditions.

Last edited:

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
We at least have had good longevity with the CVT in the 2008 Escape Hybrid AWD.
It's gone 218,000 mi so far. The driving 'experience' however...

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the clarifications gents. Clearly another reason to avoid

autos. She refuses to drive a stick however, I've been pushing to get
her into a DSG Golf. They appear to be more reliable than most.