vw 2009 tdi immobilizer delete in ecu and ecu cloning

EinHexenMeister

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
my car : 2009 vw jetta tdi with dsg transmission,

as i pointed out in an earlier forum thread, i have an immobilizer failure problem preventing my car engine from running longer than just a couple seconds after start

vcds reported

Address 25: Immobilizer Labels: 1K0-920-xxx-25.clb
Part No SW: 1K0 920 974 N HW: 1K0 920 974 N
Component: IMMO 3HL 2418

1 Fault Found :
01176 - Key 004 - No Signal/Communication

i did some additional electrical engineering test by placing a coil with 21 turns of 0.1 mm transformer wire and a high efficiency red led at a 40 mm dia right next to the ignition / steering lock, similar to the video clip shown below ... this test should prove that the rfid sending / reading coil inside the lock is providing the rf needed to read the passive rfid chip inside the key fob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwxlwZzlrUQ

initially i observed occasionally a similar led light pulse in good cases (engine kept running) and later no more led pulses upon ignition turn-on ... i assume that the instrument cluster or a signal telling the cluster to engage in immob checking is at fault ... more info on this quest later after immob delete in the ecu

my plan right now is to have a tuning shop delete (disable) the immob entry inside the ecu ... doing so should provide me with a drivable car again

since it appears that starting at 2009, vw diesel cars were equipped with new types of ecus containing the new infineon (formerly siemens) tricore cpus as compared to the previously used motorola 55x and 56x cpus ... it seems to be hard to find tuning shops supporting this newer technology

my ecu is a EDC 17CP14 3.3 diesel ecu ... anything EDC 17 or MED 17 contains this new tricore technology

after a bit of google-ing, kermatdi.com seems one of the only few tuning shops being capable of doing this immob delete and clone operation in the new ecus ... please this is not a hidden advertisement for kermatdi, i just thought this is a very often appearing shop name and they claim being capable of doing it ... lets see if they're up to it ;)

i contacted them before and now i i sent them the following questionnaire and hope for a positive answer for most of my questions ... there are probably more questions, but those seem to be the most important for me

so here it goes :

a friendly hello to the sales and service engineer :

my plan is to have the immobilizer deleted in my EDC 17CP14 3.3 diesel ecu, 2009 vw jetta sportwagen tdi with dsg transmission ... furthermore i would like to have this ecu cloned to a 2nd spare ecu for backup purpose ... i would also like to ask if there is a way to provide me with a soft-backup data-file of the entire cloning data so that i can have it at a later time cloned again to an ecu in case that anything went wrong with both ecus ... better safe than sorry

also if you would perhaps have a ball park cost estimate for it

at this point i would most likely have all this done in your shop, but i need to clear a couple more things

yes, i did write to you before and also have a few entries about my immobilizer problem in various forums ... my thoughts are that i will dedicate a new forum's entry to point out the experiences having this done as well as all the other steps i have to take to fix the immob failure in the instrument cluster after the car is drive-able again

before i send out my ecus i have a few points i would like to ask you :

once the immob is deleted, the engine will run and the car can be driven, even the instrument cluster flags an immob failure which can not be cleared since the immob failure persists

if i can't fix the immob failure in the instrument cluster and purchase a used unit, i assume i have to drive now to a vw authorized repair shop to integrate the new used instrument cluster into my car

i assume that the vw mechanic would NOT need to make any changes or updates in my ecu which would re-enable the immob (of course, i would need to discuss this with the vw repair person) ... this would be a scary thought

what's all effected by this integration of the new used instrument cluster ... my keys will need to be stored, learned ... i would assume that this info goes into the instrument cluster

will the ecu need to be configured, taught to get the new instrument cluster integrated

will only the new used instrument cluster be configured, taught to be connected to the ecu and the rest of the car

sorry for those confusing questions, but it needs to be avoided that the vw mechanic re-enables the immob in the ecu or re-flashes the complete ecu (again something which needs to be discussed with the vw mechanic) ... i'm just asking for your opinion and experiences

all other immob restrictions and failure messages inside the instrument cluster will continue as long as the immob failure itself is not fixed an the err cleared inside the instrument cluster (my assumption)

all error messages in the instrument cluster will still be displayed and error led lit since the immob failure still persists

in case that this effects any other major issues, one can think of, it would be nice to hear about it

your shop pointed out that the pairing of a phone to the radio might me an issue ... not an issue for me

your shop also pointed out : there are other consequences of an unhappy immob, which we do not address

why not address them, if it's not too much to ask, others might benefit from this info as well ... what would those perhaps be and can they be mostly neglected as compared to the newly gained drive-ability

now a few minor questions for immob delete inside the ecu followed by ecu cloning to a spare / backup ecu

is it necessary to open the ecu to get the whole process started (e.g. activate boot signal)

can i get a soft copy of the cloned data in form of a file in assumed some binary format so that the tuner will be able to clone it to another ecu at a later time ... also in case that the used 2nd backup ecu had a hw issue (used) i'm not aware of and it would show upon testing in my car

for curiosity, what sw tools do u use to perform the delete and coning (at age 70 i'm REALLY NOT interested to get into this type of business)

i would really appreciate some answers to my questions and i'm sure a lot of forum users would as well

thank you and cheers Klaus