Broken bleeder screw

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
This happened about 5 years ago. I changed fluid except that one 2 years ago. I just looked at a picture of the screw and the threads are long. What are chances of getting it out? If I don't want to buy a new one [$99] is there a way to bleed that line? I guess I could loosen the line coming in, but the caliper would not be drained. What to do, humm.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Not really, the bleeder is the highest point on the caliper, so it'll let all air out. Opening it anywhere else won't get any air trapped in the caliper out.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Worth fixing. The hole in the bleed screw may aid in ease of removal. Use a clamp (plastic?) on the brake hose to keep air out.

Last edited:

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
I tried to get a broken one out and couldn't get it out with vice grips so I used an internal easy out and it broke off, end of story, one day I'll fix it...maybe not...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I tried to get a broken one out and couldn't get it out with vice grips so I used an internal easy out and it broke off, end of story, one day I'll fix it...maybe not...

Been there, done that, then the $15 diamond drill bit to get the easy out.
Maybe a left handed drill to remove it out to the caliper thread. Be a lot easier with the caliper on the bench.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Been there, done that, then the $15 diamond drill bit to get the easy out.
Maybe a left handed drill to remove it out to the caliper thread. Be a lot easier with the caliper on the bench.
It would be for sure, I had a pair of used calipers but traded for an energy suspension dog bone...bad idea...I imagine that's what the ground feels like as it's being steam rolled...

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
You could bleed it at the line to at least clear the line of any contaminants. I wouldn't worry about the bleeder until the caliper starts sticking and then I would replace it.

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
Can you get a wrench or vise grips on it? If so I have a good way of getting a frozen bleeders out.

What you do is use a torch and get the bleader red hot and then douse it with cold water using a water bottle. What this does is gets the bleader to expand and then when you hit it with water it shocks it and shrinks it quickly getting the treads to release.

Works like a charm hear in he rust belt of MI.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
If you don't want to try removing it you could bleed it up to the caliper as you said, then, with the pedal held down and the line loose, compress the caliper piston.

That'll push the fluid out of the caliper.

If you think there's air in the caliper, maybe remove it and position it with the line at the highest point if it isn't already that way while installed.

Repeat a few times and you'd probably be fine. A PITA but would save the cost of a new one if you're broke.