MK6 Golf manual transmission oil?

TDI
MK6 Golf M6
Hey guys,

I’m doing an oil change tomorrow on my beast, figured I’m at 160k mine as well do a tranny flush. I couldn’t find specs for oil anywhere in the manual, and VW wants $52/L.

What have you guys used?

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Motul Gear 300 75w90. You can get it for a reasonable price in the city at a couple places. I've personally purchased at Rally Subaru on the west end or Argyll Motorsports in the SE.

https://www.motul.com/nl/en/products/gear-300-75w90

Also worth considering is Red Line MT-90, which is easy to get from Mopac on the west end.

https://www.redlineoil.com/mt-90-75w90-gl-4-gear-oil

Aside from that I've heard/read great things about Pennzoil Syncromesh, which I believe is available locally through NAPA.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
You can get mobile 1 full synthetic 75-90 for less than $10 a bottle from Walmart usually

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I believe VW considers life time fluids to be 8 years/100,000 miles, seems like a safe bet to change the gear oil.

I am assuming you are at 160,000 kilometers?

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
I did mine at about 150k miles with the vw branded stuff, was 20 something a liter from idparts I bought 3, but it only took 2, think the dry fill is 2.3.. When I measured the bad stuff only 2l came out soooooo good I guess? the old stuff was much darker than the new stuff, but overall felt and smelled ok, car drives and shifts the same really, so I guess its a sign of pretty easy life / appropriately specified oil..

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I have ~170K miles on my 2010 Golf TDI with a 6-speed manual transmission. My car shifts great, but I wonder if maybe I should do the change? My previous car, an amazing 1995 Mercedes E320 Special Edition, took a crap when I had the automatic transmission fluid changed at 100K. I know automatic transmissions are different than manual transmissions, so maybe there should be no worries.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
I have ~170K miles on my 2010 Golf TDI with a 6-speed manual transmission. My car shifts great, but I wonder if maybe I should do the change? My previous car, an amazing 1995 Mercedes E320 Special Edition, took a crap when I had the automatic transmission fluid changed at 100K. I know automatic transmissions are different than manual transmissions, so maybe there should be no worries.
auto trans are completely different than a manual Gearbox in terms of lubrication. It's more comparable to a differential drain and fill than an automatic transmission.
An auto trans lubricates like your engine. Where it has a pump and pressurizes fluid throughout the valve body. These crevacies inside of the valve body and lube system in an auto trans, build up sludge overtime that can possibly loosen overtime and plug up one of the crevacies. That's why it's not uncommon to hear that after a trans flush the trans went out shortly after. This is due to the fact that people tend to do them after the vehicles driven over 100k miles, allowing for the sludge to develop in the first place and get loose after a flush.
Whereas those who do flushes frequently from when the vehicle was new, rarely have trans failure.

A differential and manual gear box lubricates by sloshing the oil with the gears. No pump, complex crevacies etc to get sludge stopped in. Also gear oil which is most commonly used in a manual Gearbox, doesn't sludge like ATF which is a much thinner fluid. Note, some differentials call for ATF..aka Toyotas from the 80-90's...which is dumb if you ask me

It's good to do, to see if you have any metal shavings etc. Also, you have to remember that the wear happens gradually. So unless you have some catastrophic issue, rarely does one notice that there's a decrease in performance as it happens slowly...think of brake fluid.

Change that fluid and fill her up, don't be surprised as to the pleasurable difference in shifting :)

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
If the front is on ramps, put the back on jack stands so you are getting a proper level fill.