Weird wiper malfunction

Dadwagon

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Hello all, been a while since my last post- my 04 wagon is running great, its my daily driver with 420K! Only issue i have is when parked overnight, if rear wheels are not higher than front, i lose fuel pressure, starter has to crank forever before she starts.

Beauty of my situation is that my driveway is sloped, so i just back it in every night, she fires right up every morning. I tried the one way check valve, it helped, but did not completely solve. My guess is at some point i’ll Replace the tandem pump, but I’m not in any hurry to do so..

Onto the question- on occasion, the mist function on wiper blades doesn’t always single swipe like its supposed to. Instead, it will wipe continually, and i have to hunt with the wiper lever to shut wipers off.

Any idea if there is a fix for this?

jetmech54

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4, 1.9L, BEW, 393000 Km
there may be a connection issue between wiper lever and the slip ring on the steering wheel, I had an intermitten issue with my turn signal a while back, all I did was removed the lower steering wheel cover to expose the leavers and sprayed come electrical contact cleaner and it fixed the issue, it may work for your wipre issue.

tyberesk

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Hello all, been a while since my last post- my 04 wagon is running great, its my daily driver with 420K! Only issue i have is when parked overnight, if rear wheels are not higher than front, i lose fuel pressure, starter has to crank forever before she starts.
Beauty of my situation is that my driveway is sloped, so i just back it in every night, she fires right up every morning. I tried the one way check valve, it helped, but did not completely solve. My guess is at some point i’ll Replace the tandem pump, but I’m not in any hurry to do so..
Onto the question- on occasion, the mist function on wiper blades doesn’t always single swipe like its supposed to. Instead, it will wipe continually, and i have to hunt with the wiper lever to shut wipers off.
Any idea if there is a fix for this?
I had the same wiper issue and replaced the relay with one I bought on ebay for under 10 bucks. (It was OEM PN: 4B0955531E)

Dadwagon

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I had the same wiper issue and replaced the relay with one I bought on ebay for under 10 bucks. (It was OEM PN: 4B0955531E)
Ahhhh, that makes sense, thanks! Is the relay located behind kick panel? Steering column?
Thanks again

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Up under the dash by the steering column, the largest relay in the panel with a big 377 on it.

Dadwagon

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
installed new wiper relay today- work perfect now.
I'd say its worth the 30 minutes of time, and $25 expense.

Hope this helps someone else with same problem