www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old January 5th, 2019, 16:31   #31
Uberhare
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Too many.
Fuel Economy: Depends on what I'm towing!

Clean it & check it with a straight edge. Works for me. No need to spend money if you don't have to!
Old January 5th, 2019, 18:57   #32
afarfalla
Veteran Member

when your 100 miles away from home, doing 75 down the freeway and suddenly you overheat.....
afarfalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2019, 19:35   #33
QuickTD
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afarfalla View Post
believe it would be a good idea to send the head out and let the pro's true it
Valves will have to come out for surfacing. The machine shop will say it will need valves and guides, all PD's do. The guides will be very worn and loose, but they never burn oil. $800 later...

Or just clean it up, check it and bolt it on, it's a 14 year old car, it will be fine.
QuickTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2019, 10:27   #34
Deen

Green Scothbrite did the job wonderfully. Surfaces look new. I then blew out all the carbon and scothbrite debris in the coolant and oil channels and the head bolt threads. Then I checked tolerances. According to Haynes manual for a BHW the tolerance should be no more than 0.1mm. I tested both surfaces and was glad to see that not even a step smaller (0.076mm) was able to clear the machinist straight edge. The image is just for illustration. I did not put the feeler gauge under the straight edge as in the picture. LOL.

Next step is reassembly! Thanks everyone!

https://flic.kr/p/RWhU2L

https://flic.kr/p/RWhU5b

https://flic.kr/p/2cYj7Tu

Last edited by Deen; January 7th, 2019 at 11:00. Reason: Spell error
Deen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2019, 23:25   #35
mgoff5000
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45 Jetta, 30 Passat (MPG)

Wow kudos for the effort and can-do attitude Deen. If you get your car operational again for a $92 head plus belts that might be the neatest trick I've seen here. (of course the advice above is pretty valuable too)
mgoff5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2019, 11:43   #36
imo000
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by afarfalla View Post
believe it would be a good idea to send the head out and let the pro's true it

Nah! Don't have it re surfaced just for he sake of doing it. If you do that and next time it actually needs a resurfacing, there might not be enough material left do do it again. First check it, if it's straight clean the surface and reinstall.
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2019, 08:27   #37
Deen

Quote:
Originally Posted by imo000 View Post
Nah! Don't have it re surfaced just for he sake of doing it. If you do that and next time it actually needs a resurfacing, there might not be enough material left do do it again. First check it, if it's straight clean the surface and reinstall.
That's a good take imo000. I checked for straightness and it's straight as an arrow. I mentioned before that I could not get the feeler blade that is less than spec to get thru between the block/head and the machinist straight edge. Hopefully, it's not coming off anytime soon once I have it on!

@oilhammer - I figured out why the accessory belt broke and with such a force that it wrapped itself around the crank sprocket.

In the summer, the alternator gave out and I wanted something stronger. You may ask why? That is because I have a side business of Televisions. I buy them bulk and then I resell them. Right now I am operating out of my storage unit where I don't have an electric outlet. So I bought an inverter that I would plug in the trunk area cigarette lighter and it would output 110V. I would plug in the TV for the prospective buyer to test and then make the transaction. Something like the one below:

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-300W-P...ug+in+dc+to+ac

I was searching for a 140A alternator instead of the smaller one that our cars come with. I believe ours is a 110A. That way the car would have ample juice when powering up the TV's. Although I don't power it on for too long and only 1 at a time I still wanted to get that upgrade.

I researched the re-manufactured alternators ones and decided OEM is better especially if I could get it from the junkyard. When I went to the junkyard looking for an alternator I was not able to find a 140A from B5/5.5. Not wanting to leave empty handed I decided on a whim to check the alternators from a 2008 VW Passat. Luckily, it did. I then took it the B5 and tried it. It was a perfect fit. Eureka!

After I brought it home I noticed that the pulley was different and would not align with the belt. I thought I was in trouble but decided to keep going. I took off the pulley from my alternator and swapped it on the 2008 alternator. Fit perfectly after the swap.

I ordered an OEM ContiTech belt for the accessories and when I put it on it was a super tight fit. My thinking was that it would stretch over time. What I had failed to realize at the time was that the alternator body by itself was larger so the pulley was further out which made the belt such a tight fit. It ran for a few months and then disaster struck as you already know.

I have now gone with a 5mm longer belt that fits perfectly for the accessories. So hopefully, this will not happen again.

I hope others can learn from my mistake.
Deen is offline   Reply With Quote