www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > West Coast Canada/USA

West Coast Canada/USA Local discussions for those on the West Coast of Canada and the US.

Old May 15th, 2017, 09:00   #16
NFSTDI

TDI(s): '98 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 39-44.75 MPG, cumulative average 39 MPG

In CA, all vehicles that burn gasoline have been subjected to SMOG tests every two years. Some years back, Diesels vehicles with a manufacture date after 1997 are also subject to SMOG checks every two years. My 1998 Jetta TDI with RC2/3 has only had problems on two occasions. The first time, it failed due to an error code. I cleared the code and it passed. The second time it failed because I made the mistake of clearing all codes right before the test, as a preventative measure. I simply had to drive enough miles to accumulate sufficient data. If you clear any codes, you will have to drive enough to make sure that there is sufficient data. You can determine this by checking for "readiness" using VCDS.

CA does not test the tailpipe emissions of diesels. It is simply a visual inspection followed by an error code and readiness scan.
2004 Ford E350 6 leaker
http://www.keysforcarsberkeley.com
NFSTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 23:43   #17
CATDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2many diesels View Post
"Effective May 4, 2015, all available readiness monitors must be set. Previously you could have any one not set."
Don't think this is completely true.
I have run 4 cars through emmisions testing in the last month. One in particular, 2001 audi A4 1.8t...This car is not required to pass the evap test...and it didnt. I knew that when I set the car up for testing so I wasnt concerned. Didn't pass evap, but did pass test.
It depends on if it is a diesel or gas and the model year car.

Did you actually read the CARB document I linked to?

If you did, you would see that pre 2007 diesel cars have to have all readiness indicators set in order to pass.

Gas and diesel cars 2007 and later, can have up to two readiness codes NOT set and still pass.

So I was accurate in my statement.

-Ed
2015 Golf SW TDI SEL (Father)
Truly a diesel family...
CATDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 08:40   #18
romad
Veteran Member

Here is where all your questions will be answered:

1. https://smogcheck.ca.gov/pdf/Smog_Ch...l_ENG_2013.pdf

SPECIFICALLY see page 2, then read Section 1.3, Sections 1.4.1 through 1.4.2 (pages 20 & 21) and Appendix B.

2. https://smogcheck.ca.gov/pdf/Smog_Ch...te_Version.pdf

These are the vehicle tables; for some reason the full PDF returns an error when I try to access/download it.

BTW, I believe the reason I did not have a problem last year is because my car is a Federal standard, not CARB standard so CARB's requirements to pass don't affect me.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)

Last edited by romad; October 23rd, 2017 at 17:57.
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 08:43   #19
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATDI View Post

-Ed
Also if it has Federal or CARB emissions systems.

The fleet:
Old May 21st, 2017, 22:05   #20
NomadMac
Veteran Member

I reported a gasser the other day for blowing smoke.
She got around not having a biennial smog check by not having registered her car in four years!
NomadMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 10:03   #21
N.CaTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005.5 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATDI View Post

Did you actually read the CARB document I linked to?

If you did, you would see that pre 2007 diesel cars have to have all readiness indicators set in order to pass.

Gas and diesel cars 2007 and later, can have up to two readiness codes NOT set and still pass.

So I was accurate in my statement.

-Ed
I would check that the car was entered into the system correctly. Note your 2006.5 Jetta TDI was not allowed to be sold in CA new. This car was a federal car and sold in another state then imported into CA used. Totally legal but looking at you link it could make a difference in what CA is looking at when it runs its test.
N.CaTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 11:01   #22
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.CaTDI View Post
I would check that the car was entered into the system correctly. Note your 2006.5 Jetta TDI was not allowed to be sold in CA new. This car was a federal car and sold in another state then imported into CA used. Totally legal but looking at you link it could make a difference in what CA is looking at when it runs its test.
Mine is a Federal car and when I have it smogged, the machine shows it is a FEDERAL, not CARB vehicle. This is determined by the VIN. See Section 1.1.1 of the SMOG CHECK MANUAL

The fleet:
Old May 24th, 2017, 15:53   #23
DeliveryValve
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyhat View Post
Just received my 2017 DMV renewal for my 2004 Jetta Wagon. It states I must go to local dealership for my Mfg Recall #28F6. I wonder what this is?????? Then with my Proof of Correction Certificate and Smog certificate send to DMV... I have RC 1+ and have passed previous years smog tests...
With the diesel scandal, California just now is catching up with their original intent with this campaign from 2011.
The dealer will have to erase your tune and reflash with the 28F6/T9 software along with the updating the glowplugs.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/4848/GP...l_redacted.pdf

Old May 24th, 2017, 18:40   #24
Owain@malonetuning

Good thing those handheld units can revert that pretty easily

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2017, 17:08   #25
kwong7
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48/42/45 MPG

I just failed my california smog test on my 01 Golf with RC tuning. I haven't had an issue in the past, but I'm having a lot of issues now. First, I tried to have it checked at my friend's shop. His smog computer wouldn't communicate at all with the VW, but his regular scanner had no problem. He was puzzled until I told him I had a flashed ECM; he said the state is cracking down on stuff like that. So I switched the transmission code to manual (0001) to get rid of the TCM (transmission control module) error code and to bring it back to factory fuel/turbo map…still no communications between the smog machine and the ECM.

I took the VW back to the last smog test facility that passed my car 2 years ago. It passed every test but the OBDII test. He said there might be a bad connector somewhere and to take it to a repair shop. I have a feeling it's the RC ECM. Luckily I still have my original ECM that has been sitting on the shelf for 12 years. I just need to figure out how to recode the immobilizer and I'll take it back for a retest.

BTW, going back to stock from the RC stage 2 is just an unpleasant experience. The car feels sluggish all over, but especially between 1,800-2,500rpm. I found myself going a little harder on the throttle and still feeling like I wasn't going anywhere.
kwong7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2017, 19:50   #26
dirtride
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf
Fuel Economy: mid to upper 40's

Has anybody lately failed our Kalifornia republics smog/emissions test with a Kerma tune installed?

03 GOLF ~ GLS ALH EGR (turned it into a mutt)
00 F-350 ~ 7.3 PSD 4WD ZF-6 XLT LBCC (modified, not a mutt)
dirtride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2017, 20:50   #27
2many diesels
Veteran Member

I know for a fact if I subjected my kerma tuned car to testing ...it would fail, but that's not the fault of kerma.
2many diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2017, 11:04   #28
Mountain TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtride View Post
Has anybody lately failed our Kalifornia republics smog/emissions test with a Kerma tune installed?
Hi Mark, Yes just "inherited" my daughter's 2002 Jetta with a Kerma tune and smogged about 1 month ago. Did major head work and then did the driving sequence required to reset readiness. There's a thread I posted to in the 101 section May 2015 that spells out exact sequence 3rd gear acceleration to 75 miles per hour etc. resetting readiness is only necessary if you cleared codes or disconnected battery recently. You can check for readiness if you have VCDS. See ya Brian
Mountain TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2017, 19:04   #29
dirtride
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf
Fuel Economy: mid to upper 40's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain TDI View Post
Hi Mark, Yes just "inherited" my daughter's 2002 Jetta with a Kerma tune and smogged about 1 month ago. Did major head work and then did the driving sequence required to reset readiness. There's a thread I posted to in the 101 section May 2015 that spells out exact sequence 3rd gear acceleration to 75 miles per hour etc. resetting readiness is only necessary if you cleared codes or disconnected battery recently. You can check for readiness if you have VCDS. See ya Brian
I guess I should elaborate on this a little. Just curious to know that with recent scrutiny here, if anything has changed to where they can tell you have a tune just by plugging in and fail you because of that.

My readiness is good, only have a radio fault because of an aftermarket radio installed.

03 GOLF ~ GLS ALH EGR (turned it into a mutt)
00 F-350 ~ 7.3 PSD 4WD ZF-6 XLT LBCC (modified, not a mutt)
dirtride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2017, 20:17   #30
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtride View Post
I guess I should elaborate on this a little. Just curious to know that with recent scrutiny here, if anything has changed to where they can tell you have a tune just by plugging in and fail you because of that.

My readiness is good, only have a radio fault because of an aftermarket radio installed.
No. I had mine smogged in 2014 and last year and it has a Malone tune.

The fleet: