www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old August 12th, 2011, 20:54   #61
alphaseinor

Add to the South Section:

Digi Sport Performance
110a Rose Lane
Suite 104
Frisco, TX 75034
214-257-8221

Thanks!
alphaseinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 07:35   #62
ween

Thumbs up Protocol Automotive - Southwest VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatingtoolman View Post
Anybody know of a good TDI shop in Southeastern VA?
Protocol Automotive in Floyd did a fantastic job on the BSM replacement for my 2004 Passat. Good price, too. It might be a haul from SE VA, but definitely closer than St. Louis!

418 Floyd Highway North
Floyd, VA 24091
540-745-6045

http://www.protocolauto.com/services/
ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:41   #63
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ween View Post
Protocol Automotive in Floyd did a fantastic job on the BSM replacement
Pardon the cynicism (I haven't had my 2nd cup of coffee yet), but... how you do you know they did a "fantastic" job?

Some of us can be a bit skeptical of newbies who post rave reviews... Now, looking at these mechanics' website, I see that they recommend 3000 mile oil changes and say that automobile batteries generally last about 3 years... I'd say both of those are rather different from the experience and protocols of most of the members here...

All the best,

Yuri... (Charter Member of Curmudgeons R Us...)

Pereat mundus, fiat musica!
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 15:11   #64
ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymz View Post
Pardon the cynicism (I haven't had my 2nd cup of coffee yet), but... how you do you know they did a "fantastic" job?
All the best,
Yuri... (Charter Member of Curmudgeons R Us...)
"Fantastic" means I was able to drive my car away without the engine blowing up. My enthusiasm comes from my joy at finding a shop that knew how to spell "BSM" less than a days drive from my home. Someone else in this forum recommended them, so they had already done at least one replacement job, which was reassuring when deciding on who to do the work.
That was at 185,000 miles. I'm currently over 212,000 miles, happily "unchained".
ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2011, 12:08   #65
LongRifle

Default Shop in Va Beach VA

I just posted a note in the forum and thought I should give folks like me a heads up in South Easthern VA

DIA Automotive in Virginia Beach VA did my balance shaft upgrade along with new timing belt and new Camshaft.

They have done several rebuilds of TDI Passats and they are great people to work with.

I just picked my car up today, so attempting to avoid any flames regarding the word fantastic.... I was indeed able to drive my car away, The Car currently drives wonderfully, and I am not a Newbie eventhough my login ID says so.

I have been a reader and a infrequent poster since 2009. I had been working with Oilhammer to try to get to St Louis, but my schedule would never permit it. THANKS OILHAMMER for all of the good advice over the past 18 months.
LongRifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 05:44   #66
powerstrokeless
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than a POWERSTROKE!!

I really need a TDI! 7.3 only gets 17mpg!

After reading about the Passat needing the upgrade, I am worried about buying A Passat wagon, unless I can get a deal on one then have it done. What kind of cost is involved?
powerstrokeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2011, 10:28   #67
rmeyer23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRifle View Post
I just posted a note in the forum and thought I should give folks like me a heads up in South Easthern VA

DIA Automotive in Virginia Beach VA did my balance shaft upgrade along with new timing belt and new Camshaft.

They have done several rebuilds of TDI Passats and they are great people to work with.

I just picked my car up today, so attempting to avoid any flames regarding the word fantastic.... I was indeed able to drive my car away, The Car currently drives wonderfully, and I am not a Newbie eventhough my login ID says so.

I have been a reader and a infrequent poster since 2009. I had been working with Oilhammer to try to get to St Louis, but my schedule would never permit it. THANKS OILHAMMER for all of the good advice over the past 18 months.
What is the going rate for this upgrade? If the area you live in makes a difference, how about in the Midwest?

Thanks, Ron M
rmeyer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 21:43   #68
CoasterMoose
Veteran Member

The factory VW dealer I am working with tells me that the balance shaft upgrade is a red herring, is over-hyped, and is unnessary.

I would think that if they thought is was a necessary repair on my 2005 B5 Passat TDI Wagon that they would happily take my money and do the upgrade.

Can someone please explain why this upgrade is so critical, and why I should pay several thousand dollars to have this work performed when the factory dealership I am working with says it is unnecsary?

Thank you.
CoasterMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 22:01   #69
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoasterMoose View Post
The factory VW dealer I am working with tells me that the balance shaft upgrade is a red herring, is over-hyped, and is unnessary.

I would think that if they thought is was a necessary repair on my 2005 B5 Passat TDI Wagon that they would happily take my money and do the upgrade.

Can someone please explain why this upgrade is so critical, and why I should pay several thousand dollars to have this work performed when the factory dealership I am working with says it is unnecsary?

Thank you.
Moose: The chain drives the oil pump and the balance shaft. When you are driving, and the chain breaks, the oil pump stops pumping oil. You will then have about 3 seconds to save your crankshaft bearings and other lubricated parts. The fix after a chain break is usually $4 - $8K.

If your chain stays good, you are golden.

If there was no possibility for the chain to break (and they only break when driving), VW would not bother to sell the geared balance shaft parts and discontinue the sale of the chain and sprocket setup that's in your car now.

Take a gamble, you may be one of the lucky ones...
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 05:07   #70
s4phillips
Veteran Member

Location: Live in d/FW, TX. Transplanted from the Pacific Northwet

Quote:

Thank you.
The dealer is correct. It is unnecessary to upgrade the BSM, right up to the point the chain fails [edit: without warning]. This is one of Oilhammer's photos... don't remember which one, but usually costs the owner many-thousands $ for engine repair after this happens - much more than pro-actively replacing the chain driven BSM with the gear driven BSM. And it isn't just oil starvation that causes the damage, when the chain comes apart it can ruin the end of the crankshaft.
2003 DL1000K3

Last edited by s4phillips; October 12th, 2011 at 05:27.
s4phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 05:11   #71
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:

Thank you.
I want to punch those dealer folks in the face, I am so sick and tired of hearing that same crap. God, they are so F'ing clueless....

I just did 3 week before last, 2 of them were broken already, one of which had already had the chain drive replaced once in its past already! Then just this week:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=332386

Yeah, red herring alright... tell that to these people that suddenly find themselves on the other end of a multi-thousand dollar repair bill. If VAG did not think this was an issue, why would they have changed the design in 2006? Why would they have implemented the retrofit in 2008? And why would I have BUCKETS full of busted parts???
Old October 12th, 2011, 05:44   #72
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-15 towing hwy. 17-19

Had two people tow to the yard their cars last year for it. Sure......dosen't happen....
Old October 12th, 2011, 07:50   #73
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Quote:
There are still many people out there who hold on to the belief that the lifespan of a car is somewhere around 100,000 miles. (I have a lawyer friend whose 1991 American car just passed 75,000 miles...)

For those people, the balance shaft upgrade may indeed be unnecessary... if they're lucky...

BTW: a VW dealership (or, at least, the salesmen or service "advisors") may not represent the best source of information about these cars...

Yuri

Pereat mundus, fiat musica!
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 07:57   #74
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

"May" not?
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:22   #75
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:

Dealer (today): "see above"......

A few months from now - Dealer: "Sir, you need a new engine...." ...We think the turbo went...... "please write a check for $8,000....Thank you!"
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote