2006 DSG 40K transmission Service

Longeyr1

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 6sp DSG
I apologize for bringing up what might appear to be a repetitive topic. I have a 2006 Jetta TDI with a DSG transmission. I like most of you on this web site like to perform all maintenance myself as it allows for me to sleep better at night and feel that it was done correctly.
In the past I have done everything to a vehicle but as the newer cars get more complicated I will admit I’m apprehensive with performing some of the maintenance myself. I would like to know if I could successfully perform the DSG service without bringing it to the dealer. I have read on how to perform this service and admit it looks simple. I just don’t have as VAG-Com and really don’t want to purchase one. This might be a stupid question but how critical is it to have the vehicle (transmission) reach the desired temperature to drain the excess fluid? Has anyone performed this service without the use of a VAG-Com? It just boggles me that such an easy procedure can be so complex by the last step requiring the fluid to reach a certain temperature to drain the excess fluid. What about the “Tranny reset” I read in an old thread that the tranny needs to be reset. Is this true and is it performed through the use of a VAG-Com? If you do change the fluid without resetting the tranny what are the impacts?
I currently perform all my maintenance oil, fuel, air filters, front, rear rotors and brake pads and have switched my shocks/struts from the stock to the Bilistens HD. I’m just trying to keep my baby out of the shop from the hands of people that could care less about performing accurate maintenance with care. I currently have 71,000 miles and had a bad experience with the dealership the first time I had the 40K DSG service done I’m just trying to prevent another as my 80K DSG service is fast approaching. If I need to have this service performed at dealer does anyone know of a respected service garage in my area southern New Hampshire?

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I would be interested in knowing about a trusted southern NH dealer myself. I am nearby in southern VT and have had my TDI for exactly two weeks.

You may want to re-post this question in the "Eastern USA" area of the forum.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Longeyr1 said:
In the past I have done everything to a vehicle but as the newer cars get more complicated I will admit I’m apprehensive with performing some of the maintenance myself.
Like me, you'll need to get over the apprehension.

Longeyr1 said:
I would like to know if I could successfully perform the DSG service without bringing it to the dealer. I have read on how to perform this service and admit it looks simple. I just don’t have as VAG-Com and really don’t want to purchase one.
VCDS (was vag-com) is nearly a REQUIRED tool for modern VW work. 2 or 3 trips to the dealer to find out what lamp the "lamp-out-light" is referring to, will pay for VCDS.

There are a few VCDS-free alternative methods highlighted here. You will need to fish through the entire thread though.

Longeyr1 said:
This might be a stupid question but how critical is it to have the vehicle (transmission) reach the desired temperature to drain the excess fluid?
Quite critical...the fluid will expand with temperature.

Longeyr1 said:
Has anyone performed this service without the use of a VAG-Com? It just boggles me that such an easy procedure can be so complex by the last step requiring the fluid to reach a certain temperature to drain the excess fluid.
It can be done. Some use an IR temperature gun to read the trans case temp.

Longeyr1 said:
What about the “Tranny reset” I read in an old thread that the tranny needs to be reset. Is this true and is it performed through the use of a VAG-Com? If you do change the fluid without resetting the tranny what are the impacts?
The trans reset is to reset the clutch adaptations, so that the trans can learn the clutch behaviors faster. The clutches (2 of them) will behave differently with new fluid vs. the old fluid.

The trans computer will relearn the behavior without resetting, it just takes longer.

There may also be some 'aggressive' clutch behavior while taking off from a stop or while the trans is shifting. It's hard to say.

Longeyr1 said:
If I need to have this service performed at dealer does anyone know of a respected service garage in my area southern New Hampshire?
There's a link in my signature for 'trusted tdi mechanics'.

Tony

pax1234

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG
Well, this is what I am going to do when the time comes. Measure how many came out and put in the same amount. I don't see anything wrong with that. I would refill from the filter housing too, it is slow, but I have time.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
That's a fine line. Temperature plays a large part on fluid expansion that it's hard to predict.

One 'truth' I've learned about automotive repairs in general, and specifically working on VW's: If they specify a special tool, more than likely YOU WILL NEED THAT SPECIAL TOOL.

Tony

Longeyr1

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 6sp DSG
Thanks for the replies. I've actually thought of a Thermal IR gun. I dont know what and how much difference the temp would be from the transmission fluid to the actual housing. If anyone has performed it with this method i woudl be curious to how it has worked.
I did call 3 VW's dealers to get prices. SeaCoast VW in Green land NH quoted a price of $350. I guess if i was forced i would pay again as they performed my 40K service and screwed up my radio and wiped out the codes that allow it to play an IPOD through the aux jack. They had to get me a new radio that was coded properly. The other dealers ship was in Rochester NH and they quoted the same price. Last and least was Manchester VW.. I made sure it was for the DSG service and not including the 80K service......They said $350 for parts and 4 hours of labor for a total of $750-$800....I just cant belive some people are forced into paying that much. Again any more info or suggestions would be geatly appreciated. I would love to do the service before 80K so im not in 4 feet of snow trying to perform this HaHaha.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
My suggestion is to bite the bullet and buy the Ross Tech software (VCDS). It's great and less expensive than the maintainance you're looking at paying for each time. Plus you now can/could have high tech diagnosis equipment for the life of your car. Trust me, if you have a VW for a long enough time you will get some use out of it, and you can even customize some of the features of the vehicle with VCDS. I don't go far from home w/o it.