www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You




Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Classifieds/For Sale/Wanted > TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted

TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted VW TDI/Diesel cars for sale and wanted.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 11th, 2008, 17:26   #16
BKmetz
Administrator, Member #10
 
BKmetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1997
Location: Illinois
Fuel Economy: 50 MPG
Default

Don't put the price of the car in the thread title as one cannot edit the thread title once they post. Many times people post an optimistic price in the title and then after a week of no activity they start dropping the price.

Never list your price as 'FIRM', that turns people off. Always give yourself some bargaining room and use 'OBO.'

.
__________________
Brian, 2015 Passat SE TDI 6MT
Kathy, 2014 Passat SE 2.5
Chris, 2015 Passat SEL TDI

If ANYONE receives a PM/email from a TDIClub member shilling anything and they are NOT a registered vendor, please forward the PM/emails to me. To report spam, trolling, or any problem post, click the report post icon. (The icon in the actual problem post, not the one in my sig. The idiots know who they are... )
BKmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 14:39   #17
Mtogburn
Member
Default You were all newbies once

Hello,
And as the other newbies said I read this. Also the vehicles are out there and like the Person who posted it said you need to be quick to get the deal. I found a 96 passat tdi posted for $1500 at 6:30 on a Saturday. Wrote teh guy an email told him I wanted to buy it and had $1500 cash for him. Got an email the next day with pics and he called him that afternoon. Said he was getting offers for more than he posted it for. I told him I was not surprised because the vehicles were pretty high in demand. Told him I would give him $2000 for it if I liked it. I got to see it yesterday evening and take it for a spin. Gave him a $200 deposit and have a reciept. He will be shipping off in the next couples of weeks. I am supposed to pick it up next Tuesday. I think I will be doing pretty well to get in that cheap. He had the exhaust manifold replace recently said it was an $800 job. Also had the timing belt done about 25-30K ago. She has 209000 on her. I figured get the small coolant leak fixed, check all the brakes out get it inspected then woory about the small amounts of rust on the doors. Lots of donor cars out there for the doors. One on ebay right now that was totaled and all the doors look perfect. It has a TDI in it two so I might be getting parts car. Later Mike
Mtogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 22:17   #18
mvdiesel
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brunswick ME
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo366
But....do you honestly believe the Newbie........is going to read this????
I have my doubts........
I'm brandie new and I found it very helpful

You dudes are into it to say the least. I want to keep reading just to figure out *** you are tallking about!

MV
mvdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 12:43   #19
hbarca
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tampa
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgfld
I'm a newbie and I read it!! ;-)
I read this too and I found it helpful.

Thanks,

Scott
hbarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 16:27   #20
Shrubman
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Athens, GA
Default

I just noticed something. The paragraph addressed to buyers says "TDIs are in high demand" and then goes on to say deals are hard to come by. The next paragraph, adressed to sellers, also says "TDIs are in high demand" but then cautions that it is not a sellers market.

Is this neither a sellers or buyers market? Seems unlikely.

My 2 cents...
__________________
Evan T.
__________

Shrubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 16:49   #21
darkscout
Grammar Scout
 
darkscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Michigan
TDI(s): 2003 Golf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrubman
I just noticed something. The paragraph addressed to buyers says "TDIs are in high demand" and then goes on to say deals are hard to come by. The next paragraph, adressed to sellers, also says "TDIs are in high demand" but then cautions that it is not a sellers market.

Is this neither a sellers or buyers market? Seems unlikely.

My 2 cents...
Stupid copy paste editing:

Quote:
TDIs are in high demand. It is definitely a seller's market.
Fixed
__________________
[Review]: ECS Mk4 Rear Hatch Pop Kit. 0/5 stars for Rear Hatch Popping. 5/5 stars for inflicting head trauma.
It's all just cheap chinese **** with a fancy vortex bling bling spin that attracts people
darkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 11:04   #22
curtisspearsjr
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SouthEast Texas
TDI(s): 98 Beetle
Default I just read it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo366
But....do you honestly believe the Newbie........is going to read this????
I have my doubts........
I am new to the site and will be selling my 98 tdi beetle on the right forum (hopefully). Thanks for the great advice. Hope I can remember all of it....LOL
curtisspearsjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 08:48   #23
dfwtdi
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Dallas, Texas
TDI(s): none, yet
Default Rejection of your argument

I have been contemplating purchasing a TDi for the past month or so, and as such, I have also been trolling the message boards, cars.com, dealerships, craigslist, and ebay.

The main thing I noticed is that these cars are overpriced...not by a single digit % or even a modest 10%, but by anywhere from 15-30%...and for some reason, everyone on the forum lines up to justify this. Before you get upset and tell me I don't know what I am talking about, I would like to explain my position. First of all, I get the supply and demand argument...there are more people wanting to buy these cars than there are available, fuel economy, good resale value, etc. I have been told by several owners and a few shady "TDI only dealers" that KBB does not apply with these vehicles.

A few logical rejections:

Insurance: All insurance companies pay total loss claims based on KBB or similar published book value. True, if you had a total loss and filed under your own insurance, they would have to pay you actual cash value, but this also assumes you declared the value when you insured it. Also, any betterments such as expensive or recent maintenance or upgrades must be documented and you must be able to prove their value. If some jerk hits you and you use their insurance to pay for your vehicle, good luck getting more than book value.

Banks: A bank loans money on vehicles based on book value. Why? Because it is collateral against your debt. There is not a great number of bankers who will loan you $15K for a $12K vehicle.

IRS: If I donate a vehicle to a charitable cause, IRS defines "fair market value" as the published book value. Period. If you claim anything over that, you are claiming a fraudulent deduction.

A practical rejection:

A friend of mine went into a VW dealership three days ago in my Honda, asking about TDIs. The sales manager immediately started telling me that these cars fetch a higher price because of their desirability and fuel economy, blah blah blah. So he showed me some overpriced, trashed out, cars. I left.

Yesterday, the same friend who owns a TDI went to another VW dealership, trying to trade his TDI in. They initially offer him a little less than book trade in, at which he scoffs. He repeats the argument from two days prior almost verbatim, trying to justify why he should be paid a premium for his trade. The manager laughs him out of the building, offering the exact opposite argument. His points for rejection were: not a mass market technology, diesel costs more to maintain b/c of specialized body of knowledge required to work on them, diesel costs more so not that much cheaper to operate, etc.

So, my conclusion: If you are trying to buy, you justify a low price based on what benefits you, and if you are trying to sell, you try and gouge people because you think you have solid gold under the hood.
dfwtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 22:12   #24
steakman
Member
 
steakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary, alberta
TDI(s): None
Cool

Quote:
A friend of mine went into a VW dealership three days ago in my Honda, asking about TDIs. The sales manager immediately started telling me that these cars fetch a higher price because of their desirability and fuel economy, blah blah blah. So he showed me some overpriced, trashed out, cars. I left.

Yesterday, the same friend who owns a TDI went to another VW dealership, trying to trade his TDI in. They initially offer him a little less than book trade in, at which he scoffs. He repeats the argument from two days prior almost verbatim, trying to justify why he should be paid a premium for his trade. The manager laughs him out of the building, offering the exact opposite argument. His points for rejection were: not a mass market technology, diesel costs more to maintain b/c of specialized body of knowledge required to work on them, diesel costs more so not that much cheaper to operate, etc.

So, my conclusion: If you are trying to buy, you justify a low price based on what benefits you, and if you are trying to sell, you try and gouge people because you think you have solid gold under the hood.
Ain't that the truth...!!

Oh and BTW...I too, am a relative neub here...not to diesels but TDI's. I do know enough to know that oil/type/freq of change etc and TB are likely the 2 most important items for PM on these units. Secolndary Fuel/Oil filtration & blocking your EGR are also some things I would consider in a TDI.

Yea I'm looking..look at my sig...who ain't..?? Some very good advice in the thread start.!!

cheers,

stk
__________________
'06 GMC 2500HD CCSB D'Max-Allison BLANCO
Lots of mods..
163,230 miles
@ 70mph - 20mpg .. Not a TDI for sure, but for 7350 lbs..not bad and I dont have to change the Timing belt every year either.!

Last edited by steakman; May 15th, 2008 at 22:15.
steakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2008, 04:48   #25
turbo power since 1978
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: York, PA
TDI(s): looking
Default

Another newb, great thread!

Chuck
turbo power since 1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 21:36   #26
climbinghalfdome
Newbie
 
climbinghalfdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kanab Utah
TDI(s): Wana Be
Default

good thread BTW,
Well I'm new to TDI's but I come from a VW family. I read all 3 pages of this thread and I want a medal from Tom.
I think that people selling their TDI's are like people selling their houses. Folks think their's is the best and don't understand why the world isn't banging down their door to buy it at top dollor prices.
I'm looking for a lower mile TDI wagon (Jetta or Passat), automatic, and in the lower $teens. Before you all laugh me off the list, know that I have time and I love the thrill of the hunt. It took me 8 months of daily searching to find my 1987 VW Syncro Vanagon. It's a 1/2 camper and had 260K miles on it then and has 330K miles on it now. (I'd work in a trade if your interested.) Wish me luck.
Now for the accranims. These are what I've figured out so far.
TDI = Turbo direct Injection (duh)
TB = Timing Belt, (This is important cuz I'm guessing if it breaks the valves fall into the head and everything gets ground to bits.. Right?)

MFA = Married, Female, actuator?
EGR = Elderly Grandpa Regulator?
Help me out here.

Kevin in Kanab UT
87 Syncro Weekender 331 K Miles
1966 type 1 Wolfsberg baja project
1966 type 1 parts project
1998 Chevy Metro 160 K miles (49 MPG Unleaded)
climbinghalfdome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 06:36   #27
bikegeek
Veteran Member
 
bikegeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Greenville,NC
Default

just keep reading
bikegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 19:55   #28
Kara
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Portland
TDI(s): None yet!
Default

Thanks for the info, hopefully TDI's will be more accessible in the future. I wish I were able to travel for a vehicle but I just can't buy something sight unseen!
Kara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2008, 22:43   #29
rbobgovw
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: monee il.
Fuel Economy: jetta avg. 42 golf avg. 38
Default

Great thread, I am a "newbie" to Tdi Club that has been lurking here for over two years. Thank you for posting all the info anyone can use. After a two year search on several web sites, I've recently purchased a 02 golf gls auto tdi 116k, and a 96 passat tdi 250k needs work, but looks and runs ok.(11k for both) Rare cars in chicagoland but both found on C.L. late at night and inspected and purchased the next day. Luck ; is when preporation, (searching daily with cash in hand), meets oportunity,(the one you want).
rbobgovw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 07:28   #30
anasopia
Veteran Member
 
anasopia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: vancouver
TDI(s): 02 .:R-TDI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomo366
But....do you honestly believe the Newbie........is going to read this????
I have my doubts........
I'm a newbie, and I read it
anasopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.18354 seconds with 10 queries
[Output: 127.26 Kb. compressed to 106.41 Kb. by saving 20.85 Kb. (16.39%)]