www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You




Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 19th, 2019, 22:06   #1
RoseBud68
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: PSL FL
Default Injectors from a pick and pull

Hey guys. was at my local PNP this morning where i found a few mk4 1.9. One in particular a golf which look like there where a few mods added to it. It was an automatic and the IP had been removed. What i did see was the injectors looked new or recently replaced. So pulled them and seen that the part numbers on the body are for the 5 speed 1.9. So my question is has anyone installed injectors from a PNP and do injectors that seat for a while with out fuel in them seize up? Thanks .
__________________
1999 MK3 Jetta TDI 1Z.
RoseBud68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2019, 06:27   #2
Mongler98
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern MD
Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg
Default

A bad or messed up nozzle can easily pit a hole though the piston and the side wall. But that's worst case.
Best thing you can do is a basic pop test at home with a few basic things from Ebay. Youtube it. Basically you need a bottle jack and a rig. I've only seen videos of this being done, but I would not put that into my engine with out testing them.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2019, 21:00   #3
Steve Addy
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Iowa
TDI(s): 97 Mk3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseBud68 View Post
Hey guys. was at my local PNP this morning where i found a few mk4 1.9. One in particular a golf which look like there where a few mods added to it. It was an automatic and the IP had been removed. What i did see was the injectors looked new or recently replaced. So pulled them and seen that the part numbers on the body are for the 5 speed 1.9. So my question is has anyone installed injectors from a PNP and do injectors that seat for a while with out fuel in them seize up? Thanks .
If you wanted you could send them out to be checked. It's hit or miss with JY parts, they could be good and recently serviced or they might not be, you just never know.

Steve
__________________
97 Jetta TDI, 90 B3V TDI, 92 MB 300SD

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2019, 23:30   #4
Prairieview
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Too close to Sturgis 'ithole
Default

You fail to indicate whether or not the injectors were "exposed" (wide open as in fuel lines removed) to the dust and moisture. If they left the fuel lines in place...well, clearly that would be better. If you found this with exposed tops on those injectors (inlet)….expect nothing good.

I HATE pick and pulls. I only have one pss-poor one near me. And, every time I go out there...….one thing is successfully removed....and 6000 items are totally destroyed by morons.
Prairieview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2019, 00:04   #5
Steve Addy
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Iowa
TDI(s): 97 Mk3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieview View Post
You fail to indicate whether or not the injectors were "exposed" (wide open as in fuel lines removed) to the dust and moisture. If they left the fuel lines in place...well, clearly that would be better. If you found this with exposed tops on those injectors (inlet)….expect nothing good.
I HATE pick and pulls. I only have one pss-poor one near me. And, every time I go out there...….one thing is successfully removed....and 6000 items are totally destroyed by morons.
Can't disagree with you about that, trick is to be the first one there if possible.

Steve
__________________
97 Jetta TDI, 90 B3V TDI, 92 MB 300SD

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2019, 18:16   #6
RoseBud68
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: PSL FL
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieview View Post
You fail to indicate whether or not the injectors were "exposed" (wide open as in fuel lines removed) to the dust and moisture. If they left the fuel lines in place...well, clearly that would be better. If you found this with exposed tops on those injectors (inlet)….expect nothing good.
I HATE pick and pulls. I only have one pss-poor one near me. And, every time I go out there...….one thing is successfully removed....and 6000 items are totally destroyed by morons.
The lines where still connected to the injectors. I will have them test this weekend, they are soaking in diesel fuel till then.

Thanks everyone for all your great info.
__________________
1999 MK3 Jetta TDI 1Z.
RoseBud68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2019, 21:13   #7
Mongler98
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern MD
Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Addy View Post
Can't disagree with you about that, trick is to be the first one there if possible.
Steve
My escape has like 100 rock chips on the hood, i was at a pick and pull to grab some parts, saw a new escape in the lot that was not there 3 weeks ago, exact colour too. some jagoff put the hood up too far and bent the back parts that curve back chipping the paint and bending it past the point of no return. MY RAGE.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2019, 03:49   #8
iluvmydiesels
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: phila area
TDI(s): AHU
Fuel Economy: mk3 ~43mpg
Default

soak in purge would be a better idea.
one way is to install, after soaking, and see how motor runs. esp white smoke or inbalance is an indicator of bad/seized injectors. then run VDCS there are a few diagnostics one is the IQ. not 100% sure its accurate for each injector, still separate readings for each.
you can bottle feed purge can.
__________________
small fleet of mk3 tdi
have exp on mk1&2, idi
other vw interests

Last edited by iluvmydiesels; January 23rd, 2019 at 18:26.
iluvmydiesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2019, 18:08   #9
RoseBud68
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: PSL FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmydiesels View Post
soak in purge would be a better idea.
one way is to install, after soaking, and see how motor runs. esp white smoke or inbalance is an indicator of bad/seized injectors. then run VDCS there are a few diagnostics one is the IQ. not 100% sure its accurate for each injector, still separate readings for each.
you can bottle feed purge can after checking at first for smoke or that it runs ok.
Oh yeah Purge...I'll get a can tomorrow after work. still early in the week.
Thanks for the info.
__________________
1999 MK3 Jetta TDI 1Z.
RoseBud68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for someone to snag a bumper at the pick and pull in Sacramento . kooyajerms West Coast Canada/USA 1 October 12th, 2018 16:32
A3 pick & pull shopping list foxtrot VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs 0 October 30th, 2013 16:59
At pick and pull, need info quick! 97stroker VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) 10 October 15th, 2013 13:56
Pick and Pull St. Louis, Mo ChubsAuto TDI 101 0 December 12th, 2009 17:04
Good Pick n Pull Junkyards in Area for TDIs brucebanes Eastern USA 3 November 18th, 2009 19:00


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
© 1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.15040 seconds with 13 queries
[Output: 93.29 Kb. compressed to 79.99 Kb. by saving 13.30 Kb. (14.25%)]