Quick heatsoak question

Iwcham

Veteran Member
TDI
golf,2003, grey-metalic
Is there any difference in the same engine, say ASZ, dealing with heat at stock hp and then remapped to 40hp more, at a constant freeway speed of,say, 170km/h, on the same oem smic? :)

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I don't have any issues on my ALH New Beetle that is outputing 170% of stock torque and Horsepower......

Iwcham

Veteran Member
TDI
golf,2003, grey-metalic
On the stock smic? That's good to hear :) Then from 130hp to 170hp on my ASZ Fabia, there is no need for an expensive fmic

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The ALH in my Vanagon hasn't shown any semblance of increased heat with Stage 1 Tune (about a 15-20% increase in HP) while pulling a camper.

Iwcham

Veteran Member
TDI
golf,2003, grey-metalic
Ok guys. Thats good to hear. I made a similar post in another forum section because that part of my questions was kind of overlooked but just got a similar answer, that heat soak at high constant speed shouldn't be the issue, because the turbo isn't making so much boost... Since I don't abuse the car on tracks, don't drive too agresively on winding country roads either, or go through the gears like a maniac, I may just remap my ASZ. I will give it new ARL 1749VB turbo and headbolts and call it a day....

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I've read the stock IC is good for quite a bit of power, not sure how much. There's bound to be a tad more heat, since everything works a bit harder, but it would hardly be noticeable.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Is there any difference in the same engine, say ASZ, dealing with heat at stock hp and then remapped to 40hp more, at a constant freeway speed of,say, 170km/h, on the same oem smic? :)

From a physics standpoint, if you are travelling with the same load, the heat should be the same - e.g. if you need 60 hp to travel at 170 kph, even if the engine can now make 200 hp, it still only uses 60 hp under those circumstance. The heat issue becomes a factor under acceleration

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"heat soak at high constant speed shouldn't be the issue, because the turbo isn't making so much boost"

Lol, now do you believe me?