'14 JSW, TDI, MT6 (post fix) DPF replaced at 85K miles, extended warranty

hamilgs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta & 2014 JSW 6MT
Recently the "glowplug" error light came on while on the interstate. I pulled off at an exit, shut it down and got out the owners manual. Seems the glowplug light also means engine controller problems. Restart, and the light is off, for another 100 miles or so. Next the glowplug light and check engine light comes on, (steady). My shop is booked for a week (unusual) and I keep commuting. Next the DPF light comes on, and stays on. The car is in limp mode, way down on power. My shop diagnoses EGT sensor, plus DPF, and says he thinks those are covered under extended warranty, so take it to the VW dealer, and I do.

VW agrees on all counts, orders parts and installs them; no warning lights and power restored.

I asked what the cost would be w/o warranty, answer $2200!! I asked my shop what they would charge to replace DPF. Answer, "we have not done that yet, market dried up due to dieselgate".

VW service writer suggests that the DPF clogs due to poor fuel quality, while, an oil knowledgeable guy (tooslick) has told me that "low metallic ash" oils are needed in TDIs as that's what fills the DPF.

Before all the trouble, the Polar-FIS canbus gadget indicated DPF load of 60 perhaps 3-6 months ago, and when the error lights came on, was at 69. Now reset to zero load.

Q1. What fills the DPF on our TDIs? Fuel or oil combustion products?

Q2. Is 85K miles about what one should expect for DPF life?

Q3. What can the driver do to minimize DPF filling? Italian tuneup or?

Q4. Whats a fair price for DPF replacement?

Q5. Does any company refurbish our TDI DPF?

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Recently the "glowplug" error light came on while on the interstate. I pulled off at an exit, shut it down and got out the owners manual. Seems the glowplug light also means engine controller problems. Restart, and the light is off, for another 100 miles or so. Next the glowplug light and check engine light comes on, (steady). My shop is booked for a week (unusual) and I keep commuting. Next the DPF light comes on, and stays on. The car is in limp mode, way down on power. My shop diagnoses EGT sensor, plus DPF, and says he thinks those are covered under extended warranty, so take it to the VW dealer, and I do.

VW agrees on all counts, orders parts and installs them; no warning lights and power restored.

I asked what the cost would be w/o warranty, answer $2200!! I asked my shop what they would charge to replace DPF. Answer, "we have not done that yet, market dried up due to dieselgate".

VW service writer suggests that the DPF clogs due to poor fuel quality, while, an oil knowledgeable guy (tooslick) has told me that "low metallic ash" oils are needed in TDIs as that's what fills the DPF.

Before all the trouble, the Polar-FIS canbus gadget indicated DPF load of 60 perhaps 3-6 months ago, and when the error lights came on, was at 69. Now reset to zero load.

Q1. What fills the DPF on our TDIs? Fuel or oil combustion products?

Q2. Is 85K miles about what one should expect for DPF life?

Q3. What can the driver do to minimize DPF filling? Italian tuneup or?

Q4. Whats a fair price for DPF replacement?

Q5. Does any company refurbish our TDI DPF?

What OBD2 code did they get when they scan it? P0401? Could be a cracked DPF Filter
Do you have soot in your tailpipe? Just swipe your finger inside your tailpipe & if you have soot on it than moly likely your DPF is cracked & EGR Filter clogged.
Q1. I’m think fuel Quality would have an affect on the DPF filter?, but for sure the oil quality too as you should be using low ash oil content

Q2. No VW says to inspect it @ 120K some have gone over 200K on the original DPF

Q3. Yes Italian tune up, highway driving all Good! City driving & idling BAD!

Q4. Depends on who does it $1500-$4000?

Q5. FSXINC.com I haven’t use them but might not be cost-efficient for shipping purposes
I have seen some liquid kits but not sure if they actually work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leewaygulf5

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
My post fix (in California, Mar, 2017) '12 JSW was throwing code P0401. It was also throwing that code back in 2014 / 2015 pre-fix!
At that time it had @ 75k on it (now it has 89k). I'd clear the code and drive on. Sometimes for months I'd see nothing and sometimes it would reappear for several days in a row then stop.

After the fix, where we were told that the DPF was replaced as part of the fix, I would still get the code every few months, but that all changed 2 weeks ago
Started getting constant CE light and it would clear but re-illuminate after about 20 miles. Lots of soot in the tailpipe and on the lower fender shroud.

So, off to my dealer in Thousand Oaks, CA. I know one of the service writers fairly well and I tell him that the EGR Service bulletin had not been complied with during the fix and oh, yea... I've got a Malone stage 2 tune on there! We chat for a bit and he agrees that if there is any link to the code and the tune, its on me!
If no link, it's on VW.

Upon picking up the vehicle today, I'm happy to report that there was no link to the tune (and none was expected) and VW picked up the @$2k to replace the parts and do the job.
My service writer tells me that post fix TDI's with upwards of 250,000 miles are having these and other components (Turbo's no less!) changed out on warranty from VW. At least in this area of Calif.

I cannot address the fuel quality issues at all as all this stuff in CA is mixed with biodiesel these days.

As far as oil, as long as it meets VW 504 00 / 507 00 approvals, you should be good to go. Mobil 1 ESP and Liqui Moly are what I've used on this and my GM Duramax diesels for years with good results.

Best,
TLW

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 VW Jetta GLS TDI; 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Wow, I’m surprised they didn’t actually void your warranty with the tune - I’ve been getting the vibe that VW is pretty eager to get out of warranty claims. Do you know if getting a tune on a post-fix TDI is likely to void any specific parts of the extended warranty? I’d like to tune my TDI one day, but I also don’t want to void my extended warranty.

CDKJudoka

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Wow, I’m surprised they didn’t actually void your warranty with the tune - I’ve been getting the vibe that VW is pretty eager to get out of warranty claims. Do you know if getting a tune on a post-fix TDI is likely to void any specific parts of the extended warranty? I’d like to tune my TDI one day, but I also don’t want to void my extended warranty.
By law, they have to prove that whatever mods you did are what caused the failure. It is expensive and time consuming to fight it, but it can be fought.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I myself am going to look at a post dieselgate 2015 GSW TDI tonight after work. What is the length or circumstances of this extended emissions warranty. I cannot seem to find any info on it really. And as far as the emissions go, I cannot seem to find many people complaining about them in all reality.. am I missing something?

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I had just found that! Thank you. I entered the vin and it shows that it was all taken care of and I have the big 11 year/162k mile warranty. Lucky me if I get the car tonight lol. And I am looking at a 2015 model.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Thanks. I don’t necessarily plan on coming home in a new car, but who is to say they won’t want to deal and make me happy lol.

Analogeezer

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
My 2013 6MT JSW had the emissions fix done last January at around 69,000 miles. About 6,000 miles later it started throwing a P0401 code.

I would clear it but it would come back in 50-100 miles.

Took it to the dealer, they diagnosed a clogged DPF and also replaced the high pressure EGR valve

When I asked them about why the failure so soon after the fix they told me they had done a number of these, "not common but we have seen quite a few" I was told

I am now at 84,000 with no issues but it does seem odd.

I get the impression the new DPF is different, and that VW knows failure of the original ones is likely after the fix but replacing them as part of the fix would be really expensive; so they are fixing them as they break rather than shot gunning all of them

I will say I have never had a warranty claim go so easy, they gave me a loaner although I didn't really need one and told me up front there would be no charge

Clearly the don't want to create any bad mojo with customers over this

Analogeezer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
As per my thread, I recently bought a 2012 JSW, with 119,500 miles.
Now I have 121k on her.

Also in CA, and the Emissions Fix was done 08/2018.
On my first big roadtrip,to Phoenix last week it threw a PO401 code which I reset in error.
My Son in Phoenix, has VCDS, and we found no engine codes stored, and the DPF ash loading is reading 39ml.

To put that in perspective, read this thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=324067