Stock 2003 clutch: Can it handle chip + injectors?

PlatinumGLS

Veteran Member
I have a 2003 Jetta 5-speed with ~19,000 miles. With just the Upsolute chip I have had no problems whatsoever with the stock clutch but I'd still like more power (who doesn't /images/graemlins/tongue.gif), so I was thinking about getting injectors.

I can't really afford to beef up my clutch as of right now. Will getting the injectors destroy my clutch? Also, someone said the 2003 clutch is different/stronger then the 2000-2002, any truth in that?

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I have a 2002 Golf so we have the same clutch. I had Upsolute in my car too, then I added PP520's. In addition to smoking like a train, my clutch slipped whenever the boost exceeded 10 psi; eg whenever I want to go fast!

So if you plan on combining chip and injectors, also plan for a clutch.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
[ QUOTE ]
In addition to smoking like a train, my clutch slipped whenever the boost exceeded 10 psi; eg whenever I want to go fast!

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Platinum, leave well enough alone - - if you don't have slipping with your chip, I guarantee you will if you add injectors. It simply takes the power to a whole new level. Let it go 'til you're ready for the SPEC upgrade.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
Not a chance.

I have RR .205s in my car and just the other day I provoked a slip in 3rd gear.

20,000 miles on my '03, and I'm going to take it a bit easier near the torque peak - I'd prefer not to buy a clutch right now, but when I DO need to buy one, I'm gonna put in even fatter injectors along with the beefier clutch! /images/graemlins/grin.gif