2006 Jetta TDI Floor Heat Issues

JillSHanson

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I live in WI and this is my 3rd winter driving my 06 Jetta TDI. Something I've noticed is that when the temperature is about 15 degrees (F) or less, the floor heat doesn't seem to work. I know that TDI's have little heat to spare, so it makes sense that there is not a lot of extra heat during very cold days. However, its strange because when driving down the highway, the upper vents will kick out warm air, but the floor vents seem to be blowing very cold air from outside. After reading the manual, VW suggests using the recirculation option, but that only works for so long and the windows fog up. Our feet were freezing on the drive home from the holidays, so I need to figure out how to keep our feet warm without fogging up all of the windows during 200 mile long drive home from my parents' house. My husband thinks cardboard would do the trick. My father-in-law thinks there is a problem with the switch changing the heat from dash to floor. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Help!?!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
On my 06, it was about 15F, car said 18F, Yahoo said 0F, the other night and heat seemed to work fine. Most likely a problem inside the heater.

Blocking the flow in front of the radiator is used by some of the members in colder climates with good sucess. however, keep an eye on the temp and be prepared to pull over and remove the blocking material if the car starts to overheat. Overheating could happen if the outside temp gets warmer or you get stuck in stop and go traffic.

Cardboard is a poor material for blocking because if it gets wet, it could fall apart and clog your radiator/intercooler air path. One of those thin silocone cutting boards would be a better choice.

Do a search, there are several threads about this on the forum..............

Last edited:

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
Something doesn't sound right.

Remember you can always de-fog the windows (after you already have it on re-circ) by letting the A/C run for a minute or two to take the moisture out of the air.

brix

TDI
Hi JillSHanson,

I'm Alex and I leave up north in Canada.

I have the same problem as you... at 15F or below. I can remove my jacket for driving long distance but the floor heat doesn't seem to work as well. Also I've noticed that my temp jauge stay at 32 when I drive but a soon as I stop the temp of my engine decrease in 3-4 minutes. If I am at a stop light my antifreeze temp can reach 18. I've you noticed the same thing ??

My car is a 2006 TDI and it's my second winter with it. The car was bought in summer 07.

Also just to show you how bad it is here...
Two weeks ago it was -33F back home (-36 celcius). I can tell you I almost die in my car with the small amount of heat. Specialy that I got blue toes now ;)

I'll go to the dealer by the end of next week. If they find anything I'll keep you posted.

TDIMOFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jstta TDI
Since the car is maybe out of warranty maybe it is time to take it to the dealer and trade it in for an 09 TDI. More power, more heat (the 09 has an electric heater which works quite well).

I read somewhere in this forum (It may be wrong) that when the exterior temp is very LOW the AC may not engage...Making it difficult to properly defrost the humidity from the interior of the car.
I will say that it sounds VERY freaking cold where you are. A car that doesn't heat up properly would not be tolerable.
I remember (WAY BACK) when I drove VW Beetle (in africa) it had a 1300 cc motor. Heat was never a problem but you had to be moving if the fan was broke the car would move HOT air if it was on the move.
I drove the HELL out of that machine. In order to help it run cool in the summer I ran the heater full blast to help suck heat from the motor...
Go figure.
Go to the dealership and make them fix the thing. Or get a new one.
TDIMOFO

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
TDIMOFO said:
Since the car is maybe out of warranty maybe it is time to take it to the dealer and trade it in for an 09 TDI. More power, more heat (the 09 has an electric heater which works quite well).

I read somewhere in this forum (It may be wrong) that when the exterior temp is very LOW the AC may not engage...Making it difficult to properly defrost the humidity from the interior of the car.
I will say that it sounds VERY freaking cold where you are. A car that doesn't heat up properly would not be tolerable.
I remember (WAY BACK) when I drove VW Beetle (in africa) it had a 1300 cc motor. Heat was never a problem but you had to be moving if the fan was broke the car would move HOT air if it was on the move.
I drove the HELL out of that machine. In order to help it run cool in the summer I ran the heater full blast to help suck heat from the motor...
Go figure.
Go to the dealership and make them fix the thing. Or get a new one.
TDIMOFO
The A5 chassis has had that electric heater all along, it is not just an 09 thing. Even so, it is very hard at times to keep an 06 warm enough to properly heat the cabin in very cold weather.

Bill

vwluca

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta GLS
Had the same with my 2006 Jetta last winter. i had warm air on top and clod air at the feet. All it was is that the bottom cover of the cabin filter box under passenger foot well, wasn't installed properly when I replaced my filter. You have to make sure that you slide the cover real well and make sure that the pins have reached all the way into the slots.

Took 5 minutes and no more cold air . Now hot air up and down.

Luc
Montreal, Canada

BlueTDI2006

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
vwluca said:
Had the same with my 2006 Jetta last winter. i had warm air on top and clod air at the feet. All it was is that the bottom cover of the cabin filter box under passenger foot well, wasn't installed properly when I replaced my filter. You have to make sure that you slide the cover real well and make sure that the pins have reached all the way into the slots.

Took 5 minutes and no more cold air . Now hot air up and down.

Luc
Montreal, Canada
.............my 2006 TDI Jetta has this same problem as it is very cold in the GTA the last 2 days....and has nothing to do with the cabin filter unless your feet are in the passenger side...at the driver side...my feet are almost frozen, even with boots on...and have to put blower on MAX to feel it come fron the little plastic tube at the footwell in the centre.. I may ask the dealer about this as I have never had a car where your feet freeze up when the temp and heat up top is great...

JillSHanson

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks everyone for the comments and good ideas! It was -31F this morning and, as you can imagine, my feet are not happy! I will try the cabin filter box.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Is there heat coming out of the vents that are underneath the front seats for the rear footwells? If you can get heat out of the top vents, it sounds like the mode door in the heater box isn't moving correctly and is preventing the heat from going to the footwells.

delly44

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG TDI, 2012 Golf DSG TDI
cold feet

have a 2006 tdi dsg. same problem since new. this is NOT a cold weather car ! once it is -10C or colder it is almost impossible to stay warm in the car. i know all about the car's electric heater- it helps but your feet will still be cold. it's the only car i have ever owned where you leave the seat heaters on all the time even on a 3 hour drive. now with the price of diesel, much as i love diesels, i would not buy one again unless i tested it in cold weather. perhaps a wabasto heater is the answer... all i know is they are very expensive. my solution is drive something else when it gets cold... i pull out my 19year old audi on cold days... its toasty warm even at -35C (tested in winnipeg !).