Rough getting into 1st and Rev

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
So she just clicked 169k, 5 speed year 2000. I just started on my drive home from Talladega last night. It's hard to get into first and when I start off with seems like it's struggling a slight bit when letting the clutch out. Also, trying to get it into reverse is just as hard and it's also grinding when I put it in reverse, even with the clutch pushed as far in as possible. She needs an oil change in about 500 miles.
-Is it the slave going out?
-Need to change the fluid in the trans?
-Any ideas please!!

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
Yea I had saw that video when I was researching possible/probable causes. Of course, I looked and I do not have that plastic pin. It really does it mainly into reverse(the worst), first, 3rd and slightly 5th. I took it to the local shop and they said it feels like the clutch isn't separating and could be the flywheel, clutch, or pressure plate. The clutch pedal feels strong so I don't think it is the master cylinder or even air in the lines. Who knows... I wish I knew of another guru around.

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
I was thinking about changing the trans oil. See if it helps. At this point, it probably wouldn't hurt....

Haligen

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
when I bought my car it was a pain to shift into almost any gear when the rpms were up, and it always had a grind going into reverse if I didn't shift into second beforehand. I changed the fluid to royal purple and it was a whole different gear box. Recently I've changed the royal purple (said to eat brass syncros) to penzoil syncromesh and it is silky smooth.

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
Just an update- I took it to another guy, he said kind of the same thing. Not exactly sure what it is, but he thinks it is in the clutch. However, no slipping of the clutch, just more so seems like the clutch does not completely disengage the motor. I don't think it's the slave cylinder because the clutch pedal is still smooth and firm. I don't think it's the DMF because it isn't shaking. Hell I don't know.
I have exhausted my resources in Mobile, AL does anyone have a good reference in Tallahassee or Panama City, Florida? I have to go there this weekend.

Indwelling

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta Tdi 2005 Passat Wagon TDI
The day after I bought my Jetta I went out to move the car and I couldn't get it in to reverse and almost wouldn't go into 1st. The clutch was just replaced by the owner I bought it from. Make a long story short it turned out to be the motor mounts were shot. Tho it probably had 240k on the original mounts. After replacing them no more shift problems.

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
Not yet, my trans doesn't have that plastic pin that is in the video. I am going to take it tomorrow if I can and have the shop adjust it and get them to change the trans fluid. It sucks living in an apartment, no room to do that. Wish I could wait until November after I close on my house but I don't know.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
in the video, he showed you how to do it without the plastic pin. I would do that first. easy thing to do.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
Yea I had saw that video when I was researching possible/probable causes. Of course, I looked and I do not have that plastic pin. It really does it mainly into reverse(the worst), first, 3rd and slightly 5th.... I wish I knew of another guru around.
In the video Jim uses an alignment pin to locate the shifter in the HOME position which can be substituted with a 5mm allen and the pin on the transmission turns up 90 degrees as you push down on the rod slightly.
Which plastic pin are you referring to:confused:

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
I was thinking about changing the trans oil. See if it helps. At this point, it probably wouldn't hurt....
FWIW, on my new-to-me 2000 Jetta with 194K miles, I was having a very difficult time shifting into first from neutral or any other speed. Also reverse was quite a chore.

I had a VW mechanic check out the linkage and also change the fluid. He said the linkage was fine but the fluid looked like it had never been changed.

The car shifts fine into first now. I have not accidentally shifted into third (thinking I was in first) since.

ibsam2005

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI 6M
Lensdude I was talking about the plastic pin right by the counter weight inside the engine bay. He describes the second method for those with that pin broken/missing. I guess I am just worried about doing it and messing that up lol.

Again, the biggest problem is when going into reverse it grinds bad as the shifter is going in. The other gears are harder as it gets warmed up.

Last edited:

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
If you are having problems with R , 1, 3 ,5 (but not 2 4 )it's most likely the cables needing adjustment.
All 4 of those use the upward motion of the shifter, which translates to the side to side movement of the shifter stalk on the trans. I'd follow the procedure to set that cable properly before doing more troubleshooting.

Crooked_Lumpy

TDI
2003 Jetta GL
Had a similar issue this week when I changed the old trans fluid. I put the Royal Purple in and immediately noticed it was easy to shift in to, but very hard to shift out of reverse. Soon (within 24 hrs) it became difficult to shift in to all gears, and I panicked. Went to the VW dealer and bought some VW gear oil, put that in, and its like butter now. I didn't do enough research with the RP but will stay far far away from now on.